What's A 25 Year Old Charter Arms Bulldog Worth???

PDA

jkulysses
April 22, 2010, 11:32 AM
It's .44 special caliber and the guy claims it's a 9 out of 10 as far as condition he bought it when it was brand new 25 years ago supposedly. I have a little utility trailer up for sale and this guy wants to trade me straight across for this revolver. My trailer is worth around $300 cash. Here's the pictures he sent me.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/jkulysses/Misc/Guns001.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/jkulysses/Misc/Guns002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What's A 25 Year Old Charter Arms Bulldog Worth???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GUNKWAZY
April 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
An older Bulldog like that is probably worth $350 or possibly even a little more.
If you want it, it's not a bad trade on your end.
Tell him to toss in a box of ammo and he's got a deal.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

BHP FAN
April 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
nothing at all... send it to me for proper disposal....LOL! Seriously though, jump on it.I'd do that trade in a New York minute.

jkulysses
April 22, 2010, 11:54 AM
So if I do the trade you'll buy it off me for $325 lol.

GUNKWAZY
April 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
He can't even own a gun, can't you see, he lives in Comifornia.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

GojuBrian
April 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'd suggest doing the trade for sure. :cool:

jkulysses
April 22, 2010, 09:21 PM
LOL on the Comifornia thing :). Alright well I guess I'll think about it a little more it's just not really a handgun that I personally would have any use for so it really comes down to how fast could I turn around and sell this thing is how I'm thinking I guess. Thanks for your help guys and I really didn't think it would be worth that much since a brand new one isn't much more if any. So Charter Arms used to be good and then turned to mediocre or what?

Starter52
April 22, 2010, 09:24 PM
+1 to making the trade in a New York minute.

Drail
April 22, 2010, 11:50 PM
It really depends on how it has been used in its life. These guns were made to be carried constantly and shot occasionally. I say this as a former pistolsmith and a daily carrier of that particular revolver for over twenty years. I have absolute faith in mine but I have seen a lot of them that were shot to death just from sheer number of rounds or used with handloaded ammo that was much too powerful for a Charter. If it has a history of little use and seems to have tight lockup I would jump on it. (the photos look very good) Beware that after 100 rounds or so screws will loosen, pins will walk out and it is important to keep a close watch on these parts. They are one of the greatest ideas for a snub carry gun ever produced and if it looks like it hasn't seen much use I would gladly pay 350 bucks for it. The best load is a 200 gr. SWC or the Speer Gold Dot JHP (200 gr.) Never subject one to "Elmer Keith" loads or Buffalo Bore's heavy loads. It won't blow up but it will shorten its life greatly.

MICHAEL T
April 23, 2010, 12:44 AM
I bought a LNIB with papers 200 3 years ago. Guess depends on where you live.

jkulysses
April 23, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think I'm going to wait a week or so and see if anybody comes up with the cash first I've been getting at least 2 calls a day on it so it should sell I would think lol. I personally wouldnt ever fully trust a handgun that could loosen up and drop screws on the ground after 100 rounds I don't think haha.

Sniper X
April 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
BHP FAn, interesting play on words! New York Minute, and the NY reference to the Bulldog....anyone else get it?

Lorenzo Rojo
April 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
I would also make that trade...especially because that particular revolver looks like it has a lot of character. I love the bluing on the hammer.

jimmyraythomason
April 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
I am among those who would happily make the trade. If loose screws are a concern, just take 'em out,clean the threads and apply blue Locktite.

Lakeshore
April 23, 2010, 01:21 PM
Charter (the earlier ones) fan here. I'd do the trade. Might ask the guy to sweeten the deal a bit, maybe he has a box of bullets he could throw in.

jkulysses
April 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
He's bringing it over in a little bit so I can look at it in person. Anything in particular I should be looking for with this revolver?

wcwhitey
April 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
Check the revolver checkout sticky at the top of the revolver forum. Good information.

Blue .45
April 23, 2010, 07:02 PM
The only downside I can see, is the price/availability of .44 Special factory ammo. However, if you reload, this is a non-issue. Other than that, I have no problem recommending the Charter Arms Bulldog.

Of course, I don't currently reload, so mine doesn't see much range time anymore. :D

Drail
April 23, 2010, 09:17 PM
The finish you see on that hammer is genuine case color hardening just like on the old Colt sixguns. I bought four factory made hammers from a dealer going out of business and they were all different - all beautiful. To check the action's timing slowly cycle the trigger and watch the cylinder rotate - make sure it locks in position BEFORE the hammer falls. If the hammer releases and the cylinder isn't locked yet it's going to need some work. Check to see that the cylinder opens easily and clicks shut (gently. don't bogart it) and locks into the frame. Look to see that the firing pin is all there, I have seen some with broken tips on them. The firing pins on these guns are made from beryllium and they're pretty tough. Charter Arms claimed they were unbreakable. Apparently it can be done but I don't know how you could do it. And yeah, unless you reload it's going to be costly to shoot.

dispatch
April 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
I have a Bulldog and a Bulldog Pug of the same vintage. They are great revolvers. The picks look good, but check it per the sticky at the top of the forum. It's not a real comfortable to shoot recreationaly, but manageable with a little practice.
I feel very comfortable with this in my boot.

Deltaboy
April 24, 2010, 11:43 AM
Looks like you need to handle it and see if it is as nice as the pictures.

jkulysses
April 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
Well it didn't look to bad but you even mention the name Charter Arms around here and it's like talking about a Hyundai at a Ferrari convention so I don't think I'd ever be able to sell it for much of anything. I'll just wait till something else comes along. I found a like new Glock 19 for $300 that I'd like to pick up so I'll just wait till the trailer sells for cash. Also the guy was a total prick and it was almost like he was trying to intimidate me into making the deal. After I started to get uncomfortable and back out of the deal he got real pissy and said "How bout you give me a call whenever you make up your mind and maybe if I'm still interested we'll work out a new deal" in a very sarcastic voice so I said right back to him How bout you just lose my f*#kin number. He got the most confused but also menacing look on his face then fired up his Harley and took off all crazy like lol. O ya I forget the part were he was about 60 years old probably 6'3" and wayyyyyyyyyy bigger than me lol. All decked out in his leathers with a big zz top beard and a bandana on haha. Inside I was thinking god I hope this big sob don't jump at me cause I'm running if he does lol.

jimmyraythomason
April 24, 2010, 02:12 PM
Also the guy was a total prick That would have been the deal breaker for me no matter what he was trying to sell.

jkulysses
April 24, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ya that's when my pride got in the way and I wouldn't have sold it to him for $300 cash after he got me irritated lol.

GUNKWAZY
April 24, 2010, 08:34 PM
You'z makin fun of Ol' ZZ Top ?
That's just wrong.
By the way, they are stoppin over soon to pick up the trailer.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq172/toykwazy/for%20sale/zztopbw7.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

jkulysses
April 24, 2010, 11:23 PM
Haha thats funny and his wasn't quite as impressive as theirs lol.

sw282
April 25, 2010, 04:35 AM
Take the gun on trade. I see these going on GB at 400-450. Then auction it there

If you enjoyed reading about "What's A 25 Year Old Charter Arms Bulldog Worth???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!