Hunting with a Handgun in Tennessee

PDA

grace2u
April 25, 2010, 05:04 PM
My question is about carrying a handgun on private property owned by another individual for the purpose of hunting. All I can find is that Tennessee is not a traditional open carry state and that it is covered under CCP. I however, have not bit the bullet and gotten my CCP. So my question is, can I carry open on another person's private property while hunting with said handgun?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting with a Handgun in Tennessee" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rm23
April 25, 2010, 05:10 PM
As long as you have permission by the owner, yes.

grace2u
April 25, 2010, 05:15 PM
I thought that was the case, but I wanted other "interpretations" just to make sure I'm always above reproach.

wishin
April 25, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not familiar with TN law, but in many states you can open carry while legally hunting without a carry permit. That presumes that it's legal to hunt with a pistol.

grace2u
April 25, 2010, 11:07 PM
In Tennessee it's legal with a 4" barrel and any centerfire pistol round. That said, I know this probably seems like a stupid question, but I had a deputy (who runs a gun shop and does permit training) try to scare me into his class because he was concerned my pistol would get confiscated...I thought it was a crock, and definately wouldn't take his class, but I've had a paranoia about it sense. I always travel with it in its case, unloaded, in the trunk with ammo seperate in the cab, but he tried to tell me they could still confiscate if they wanted too.

wishin
April 26, 2010, 11:42 AM
I agree with you that your precautions should make it lawful to carry the handgun in your car, but wonder if the case needs be locked to satisfy an LEO's interpretation of "secured", and avoid a potential hassle.

grace2u
April 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
I don't know. Knowing him, I thought he was just trying to pressure me into giving him some money.

razorback2003
April 28, 2010, 02:44 AM
You do not need a handgun carry permit to carry a handgun that is legal hunting equipment....like a 22 handgun for squirrel hunting....a centerfire 4inch for deer, hog, bear season. Check your TWRA book and the area you are hunting. Coyote is year round...and I am trying to remember if turkey season has ended yet. If turkey has ended, you can shoot the coyotes with whatever you want...rimfire, centerfire, shotguns....handguns...rifles. Please get rid of the coyotes. Now if you go on WMA land...you can only shoot coyotes with rimfire, unless it is big game season....but private land you are good to shoot them with your choice of a rimfire or 4 inch centerfire handgun...squirrel season is coming up next month...22 handgun is legal for those....you can open or conceal carry either way without a permit...just have your hunting license...good luck and if you see a coyote while out please get rid of it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting with a Handgun in Tennessee" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!