Christmas Spirit

PDA

charleym3
December 26, 2002, 03:43 PM
I live in what used to be "the country" outside a major metro area in NC. We have rabbits, chickens, and a bone headed Beagle. Once in a while someone in the area lets theie three large dogs out overnight to go roaming. They have attacked and killed and disfigured several rabbits. The rabbits have been moved inside the back fence for more security. The chickens, however, are in three different pens around the 1.5 acre property.
Yesterday about 7:00 the chickens started going nuts. When the comotion got my attention I looked out the window and saw two large dogs working very hard to enter one of the chicken pens. So I grab my house gun and go to intervene. I get to about 10 yards from the pen, the dogs haven't noticed me yet, too busy I suppose, and draw a bead on one.
At this point it flashed through my mind that I didn't want someone to remember Christmas Day as the day their dogs were killed, so I discharge one round between the legs of the closest dog and they all scattered.

I have no doubt that they will be back in a day, week, month... I wonder if I will have such a clear and easy shot the next time. I have no reservation about protecting my flock at the expense of an animal that kills for sport. In other words, I'll shoot them with out remorse when the situation comes up again.
I guess I'm looking for a little feed back on whether or not I made the right choice.

FWIW, the firarm was a GP-100 loaded with Lasercast 158gr TC at about 800 fps.

One other question that lingers in my mind is should I shoot to kill or let them go home wounded?

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas Spirit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chugach
December 26, 2002, 11:03 PM
You showed a lot of restraint.

Assuming you've got time before your animals are attacked again...

Talk to your neighbors and ask them to control their dogs. You haven't really stated whether you've done that or not. If not, you may be surprised...most people want to know if their animals are out of control.

No threats, but let them know the dogs are at risk with the animal control (or you) if they continue to run free and maim or kill your animals. Take photographs of injured or dead animals. File a complaint if you've got any group locally that cares (animal control or otherwise).

Send a follow-up letter to the neighbors that lists the points of discussion again, copy local authorities, and keep copies yourself.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I think you want to be prepared if you have to defend your animals, and I think your neighbors would appreciate the chance to make things right.

PATH
December 26, 2002, 11:09 PM
You certinly showed a great deal of restraint. I would talk to the neighbors as suggested. I would shoot a dog that came on my property, attacking my animals, after I spoke to the neighbors. What if the dogs had tried to attack you?

V8vroom
December 26, 2002, 11:33 PM
If the do, they'd better keep them secured or risk them not coming back from one of their recon missions!!:eek:

Chugach
December 26, 2002, 11:37 PM
charleym3, maybe even better (for evidence), use a video camera (rather than still photo's) to tape the buggers when they're on your property...

Hard to refute evidence like that...

[edit for clarity]

charleym3
December 27, 2002, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the input. I wish it were that simple. We think that the dogs live in a developement about half mile away as the crow flies. I though about putting up a carefully worded sign at the entrances to their neighborhood. I thought about gut shooting one or more of the dogs so that they'd go home to die.
We had animal control install a trap one time. Left it here for 10 days. No takers. The dogs visit infrequently. It's a tough situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas Spirit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!