Winchester Super Target vs Winchester Universal

PDA

evan price
May 12, 2010, 02:17 AM
I've seen people here and there claiming Win Universal is cheap, out of spec ammo for the Wal*Mart trade. I've shot a bunch of it just because it is cheap and had no problems.

I've always heard good things about Super Target. It's always been a bit more expensive. That said, I lucked into 4 cases of WST for cheap and the specs seem to be the same as the Universal in terms of load and velocity. The first box I opened up, they don't look any different from Universal, just have a different stamp on the hull.

Is there really a difference? I don't save hulls and don't reload.

I patterened some Wal*Mart ammo- Win Universal, Federal Target, and also WST, and really couldn't tell any difference, and the Mossbergs ate them all up.

Am I missing something?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Super Target vs Winchester Universal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
May 12, 2010, 08:46 AM
If your gun will feed it, and it patterns fine, it won't hurt anything to use it.

Around here, Wally World's prices for that stuff, Federal bulk packs and Remington Sport Loads are all within a dollar per 100 rounds. Sometimes, the Universal has been the most expensive of the three, whereas Remington and Federal are better ammo.

However, if your Wal-Mart only has the Winchester stuff, or the Universals are the lowest-priced option, and they work in your gun, they won't hurt anything.:)

oneounceload
May 12, 2010, 10:10 AM
Here in FL, folks who shoot the wally world stuff seem to prefer the federal for consistency. The Winchesters get the nod as the worst, with Remington in second.

But as mentioned - if they work, everytime, in your gun - and you're happy with the performance, then use them

ArmedBear
May 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
Remington Sport Loads are the best of the bunch, IMO, with the cleanest powder and the least wad residue in my barrels. However... They tend to cost a little more than the Federals, which shoot at least as well.

Snarlingiron
May 12, 2010, 03:20 PM
The El Cheapo Federals stink. No, I mean literally, they stink. They shoot ok. I somehow got one mixed into my shell bag the other day and didn't notice. As soon as I shot I said "What was that, it stinks." Sure enough it was one of the cheapie Federals.

Anybody else notice this, or is it just my schnoz?

ArmedBear
May 12, 2010, 03:46 PM
Some people actually like the smell of the Federals, but it definitely is distinctive.

As I wrote, IMO the Remington Sport Loads are the top of the heap in the bulk market. They're quite good, and they don't smell much at all, or leave excessive fouling. Fiocchi makes some really good stuff, too, but for some reason I find them to have higher felt recoil than other shells of the same specs.

Here, Sport Loads cost a buck more per 100 than the Federals. I've been willing to pay it, lately, most of the time.:)

Big_E
May 12, 2010, 05:26 PM
Out of my Mossberg 535, the Federal bulk pack is the best (when talking about cheap ammo) I have had Winchester that comes in the 200 box stick in both my Mossy and 2 other 870's, as in it is extremely difficult or near impossible to rerack the pump. I swear by Federal ammo now.

evan price
May 13, 2010, 04:13 AM
I guess the next question is- is Universal just WST with a different label packaged for Wallyworld?
I've had no trouble with the Federal target ammo either- the local gun store has cases of it on sale all the time.

I can also get the Fiocchi Spreaders for the same price as the Remingtons or WST... how do they compare, to save myself from buying a few cases to no great improvement?

oneounceload
May 13, 2010, 09:02 AM
Spreaders are just that - shells designed to open the pattern up. Not a bad thing if you're only shooting skeet where the max distance is 21 yards. Doesn't help much on a 45 yard crosser in sporting though. Now, Fiocchi makes some great ammo - their Crushers and White Rhino are some of the best around

huntsman
May 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
Am I missing something?

the difference will be in the shot, high antimony= higher cost

ArmedBear
May 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
skeet where the max distance is 21 yards.

Only if you don't forget that your safety is on.:D If I take a field gun with an automatic safety to the range for practice, that max stretches out a lot.

Fiocchi makes some great ammo

Been using it lately. It is great stuff. However, I have never felt shoulder soreness after a little 5-stand with 1 1/8 oz. 1200 fps ammo through a gun that isn't light. I did with the Fiocchi. I'm not sure what they do to it. 1 oz. is fine, and their 7/8 oz. stuff is a dream, if you can find it for a good price.:)

oneounceload
May 13, 2010, 12:42 PM
We have some folks here who have a line on Fiocchi - they group buy by the pallet or two at a time - a variety of 12 and some 28. IIRC, the 12's were running about 6.50-7.00 for Crushers and White Rhino and the 28's were about 7.50 - for someone who doesn't reload, a decent price for good ammo to be used in competition

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Super Target vs Winchester Universal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!