Baiting for feral hogs in Alabama

PDA

jimmyraythomason
May 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
For the first time in my memory,the State of Alabama is going to allow baiting for the purpose of hunting. As a rule all baiting is unlawful in Alabama,whether for game animals,migratory birds,non-game/pests(except for rats) or fish(not including hook and line fishing)no hunting over bait or on trails leading to bait. Restrictions for baiting furbearers by trappers are also vigorously enforced. That will change soon...http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/05/feral_hogs_in_alabama_caused_n.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Baiting for feral hogs in Alabama" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
qajaq59
May 16, 2010, 04:36 PM
That should drop the hog population a bit,

jimmyraythomason
May 16, 2010, 04:41 PM
That should drop the hog population a bit,
Going to do what I can for the cause!

juk
May 17, 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm gonna have to read up more on this! What part of Alabama are you in JRT?

MCgunner
May 17, 2010, 06:56 PM
Sprinkle some strawberry jello mix over the corn. It seems to work in the trap. It's not 100 percent, but nothing really is.

jimmyraythomason
May 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks MCgunner. I have heard that but had forgotten it. It is certainly worth a try!

JimKirk
May 17, 2010, 08:16 PM
Some of the guys around here are soaking their corn in a mixture of water and dryed molasses. I've never tried it myself, but they have been getting some hogs with it. I guess you call to "swelling" your corn.

jimmyraythomason
May 17, 2010, 08:20 PM
JimKirk,we used to do the same with shelled corn for our domestic hogs. We allowed the watered corn to ferment. The hogs would go crazy over it!

janobles14
May 17, 2010, 09:22 PM
just remember! hogs are one of the few animals that will eat or drink something just to get drunk! we load our corn up with one cup of kerosene and a fifth of the cheapest rot gut liquor we can buy (or more likely have at the house :)). a little fruity jello does well with it too.

man, im in alabama now too and wish i could find a place that had a good hog supply. anyone know if the refuges will allow the baits? if so, where are the best ones to hit a pig?

ojibweindian
May 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Sure hope Black Warrior WMA allows hog baiting. That place is crawling with hogs now.

MCgunner
May 17, 2010, 10:04 PM
just remember! hogs are one of the few animals that will eat or drink something just to get drunk!

And the other animal is the Texas Aggie....:D

That would explain the advice to use cheap beer to soak the corn with, though. I've never tried that, either.

JimKirk
May 18, 2010, 09:12 PM
Jimmy Ray...That is what made me think of the guys soaking the corn with the molasses!
My dad, who is in a nursing home now, likes to "talk about old times", he can't remember squat from yesterday or today, but he can tell you everything down to the details about what happened years ago! Last week he reminded me of how we would take "old cane syrup" the kind with "rock sugar" in it and mix it with corn and lye and soak the corn. We would then feed it to the hogs and like someone said they would take the buckets away from you they loved it so good! Dad said the lye helped "wormed" the hogs. By the way, I ate more than my share of the "rock sugar" too!

Dad also told of back in the days when my granddad was a "big shiner", they would pour out the mash and the hogs would come to it and get drunk! They said they would neuter the males and they would never move. I guess that is why I never drank much.... fear of being neutered.

Jimmy K

7.62 Nato
May 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
I guess that is why I never drank much.... fear of being neutered.

Jimmy K

Ever see a cough drop ricochet off a monitor ?

rugerman
May 20, 2010, 05:26 PM
A hog hunting friend of mine takes a 5gal bucket fills it 1/2 full of corn adds enough warm water to cover the corn, and 2 or 3 packets of brewers yeast and some sugar and caps it off and lets it ferment, add more water as the corn soaks it up and when it gets real ripe punch a few holes in the top and hang it in a tree to attract hogs.

jimmyraythomason
May 20, 2010, 05:57 PM
Rugerman if your friend is also in Alabama now he can do that legally. I would check on the legality of suspended bait though. Baiting has long been allowed in Alabama for trapping but suspended bait within 25 feet of the trap was not allowed.

rugerman
May 28, 2010, 05:04 PM
He's in Georgia.

jimmyraythomason
May 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
He's in Georgia. that makes a difference.

janobles14
June 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
just FYI, i was talking with the wildlife biologist at lauderdale WMA and he said he didnt think that this story was true. lol he also said that they are sometimes the last to hear about things like this though. hes going to ask one of the big bosses and confirm for us though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Baiting for feral hogs in Alabama" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!