Surprisingly good consistency across Lake City (5.56) headstamps?

PDA

dboyles
May 16, 2010, 04:52 PM
I ordered a bunch of once-fired Lake City mixed headstamp brass from Brassman a few months ago, and I did some initial testing of case capacity across different headstamps to compare them to the brass I was previously using (Prvi). The Lake City had a higher capacity, so I went ahead and used the loadings that I used with Prvi brass as a starting point.

Today I did a little more in-depth testing to decide if I needed to sort based on different LC years to get the most accuracy out of the brass. I carefully crammed as much H335 as I could into a ready-to-load case, leveled it off at the case mouth, and poured onto the scale tray. I did five LC07, five LC08, and one LC91 oddball that I found.

The sample sizes were small, but the extreme spreads and the standard deviations looked really good, even across different head stamps. I also measured the cartridge length, and it looks like the deviation in case capacity can be largely explained by small differences in case length.

headstamp: weight; length
LC91 (one pc): 31.0gr; 1.7505"
LC07 (five pc): avg=31.14gr stdev=0.0894gr; avg=1.7518" stdev=0.0010"
LC08 (five pc): avg=31.20gr stdev=0.1225gr; avg=1.7525" stdev=0.0023"

I ask about this because when I went looking for other results, I found this tidbit (http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/federal-lake-city-223-brass-on-sale/) where they mention a 0.61gr stdev for Lake City, which is held up as being more consistent than Remington.

Is my test flawed by using powder rather than distilled water?

edit: I just remembered that these cases had also been pre-sorted by weight, so the cases used were within ~0.3gr of each other. That could certainly explain the favorable results. It looks like I can probably just sort by weight and know that capacity will generally fall in line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprisingly good consistency across Lake City (5.56) headstamps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Surprisingly good consistency across Lake City (5.56) headstamps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!