1911 EJector install question

PDA

Rule3
May 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
The Ejector on my DW 1911 started become a little loose and developed a burr on the front end. It would move up and down 1/32 to 1/16" and I would have stuck cases once and a while. I removed the roll pin and peened the pin slot(which I guess widened up a little over time) a bit so it would fit snug. after re installing it is nice and tight. I notice now that it is not exactly level. The rear is up a little while the front is flush.

It works fine so should I mess with it? If I buy a new ejector should the rear post be filled down until it sits flush? Should I do that to this one?

Thanks

The gap looks bigger in the pic then it actually is.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/Hobster_2006/DSC01859Medium.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/Hobster_2006/DSC01856Small.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 EJector install question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Curator
May 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
I always replace an ejector when problems arise. The ejector's pins are hardened steel and a bi**h to remove from the 1911 frame. Usually the problem is the ejector not the frame. I would be a bit concerned about the gap at the rear. It should sit level. Check and see if there is crud in the rear mortice. Ejector failure is a royal pain and any movement is going to lead to failure. Don't ask how I know---

Drail
May 17, 2010, 10:45 PM
It really needs to sit level with no stress on those mounting legs and needs to clear the slide channel without any friction. If one of the legs breaks off you're not going to be happy. Ejector failure, as said, is a royal pain.

Jim K
May 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
"It works fine so should I mess with it?"

I vote no. I think I would leave it alone as long as it works.

Jim

Rule3
May 18, 2010, 10:39 AM
It works fine, now that I remove it and tightened it. It was easy to remove.

I was placing a order for other stuff, so I figured maybe just order a new one.

So if the the rear pin does not allow it to sit flush and there is no debris in the rear mortise, I should file the rear post to make it sit flush? That is my main concern, as it just doesn't look right to me.

Thanks for the replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 EJector install question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!