Quick question about brass

PDA

Randy1911
May 17, 2010, 04:20 PM
I got some 30-06 brass that is Military. It is headstamped DEN which means Denver Arsenal and the year is 43 and 42. I am sure it has been loadind with corrisive primers. Is there any special I need to do to the brass to make it safe to use for reloading?

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question about brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
May 17, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm using DEN 42 and 43. Have been for years, has never been a problem. I recommend that you anneal the shoulders and necks, the cases will last longer.

flashhole
May 17, 2010, 04:49 PM
I would advise washing it throughly with hot soapy water. Others may tell you it is not necessary but why take a chance. I have taken to washing all my brass prior to reloading, it removes a surprisingly amount of crud from the case. Where I really notice the difference is when FL sizing, the drag friction from pulling the expander button through the neck is greatly reduced. I also do a 50-50 soak white vinegar to water and rinse well in hot water. A 10 minute bake in a 200 degree F oven dries them out nicely.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question about brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!