Reloading .308 Speed Bump

PDA

laxd211
May 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
I wasn't sure about this when it happened, so I though I would get some more peoples opinions.

I just finished reloading my first few rounds for my Remington 700 SPS. I just made six, and I am going to take them to the range Wednesday to test them out, and depending on how that goes, I'm going to start making more.

So I made the first few, and I decided to cycle them through my rifle to make sure everything flowed nicely. However, it became difficult to pull the bolt down and pull it up. Not impossible or even hard, but definitely had more resistance with the rounds I made.

I did compare mine with some low end American Eagle, and it looks like my brass is a millimeter or two too long.

Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading .308 Speed Bump" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNTFW
May 17, 2010, 09:19 PM
Your case is right at the max length from the sound of it. If so, you need to size just a tad shorter.

When setting up a sizing die I like to use a case that is too long to chamber if using the "bolt feel" method. Be aware that the feel of the bolt can be decieving, due to firing pin, extractor and ejector. Different brand cases can size differently as well.

Clean the bolt/bolt face of any brass and the chamber/lugs as well. Brass being pressed onto the bolt face can happen, throwing off your measurements or "Feel"

On certain rifles or application a case gauge is good to use.

Roccobro
May 17, 2010, 09:21 PM
I bet there won't be much case stretch from firing them in that chamber. :)

Sounds like your right about dead on in head spacing on that load and rifle.

Justin

Crowbar Muldoon
May 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
Did you full-length size the brass? My 700 acts like that if you run the brass through the neck sizer only. I have to FL size every time.

Walkalong
May 17, 2010, 09:31 PM
Mark the case with some magic marker or something and chamber them. See where it rubs. Not sized enough most likely, but where. If you don't size enough you may have pushed the shoulder forward, or perhaps the front half of the case is a bit to big, or both. Mark em, check em. Let us know.

Next time use a case gauge, or buy something to measure where the shoulder is so you can size accordingly.

Couple of good threads about this lately.

Frankl03
May 17, 2010, 10:22 PM
Get a case gauge. it will help allot! I had trouble with handloads for my M1A until I got the gauge!. LE Wilson .308 Case gauge from Midway USA.

Another thing you may want to do with a bolt rifle is just use a neck sizer. The cases will fire form in you chamber.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading .308 Speed Bump" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!