New Rifle Reloader

PDA

army_husbandky
May 18, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hello THR,

I am brand new to rifle reloading. Going to be reloading for Bushmaster A3 with 16" barrel. I got all the stuff I need to get the brass ready, got the dies, got the bullets (remington 55 gr (I know I could have gone heavier, but working on a budget right now)), going to be using CCI 400 primers. Now I am down to the powder. I have been looking at load data and comparing powders for three days now, and not sure what to go with. Got it down to four powders; Alliant 10X, Hodgdon Varget, IMR 8208 XBR, and Ramshot TAC. Can't decide on which powder to get.

Out of the four, what are your thoughts? Is there a powder that you would suggest that maybe I am over-looking? Any information that you could give me would be of great appreciation.

Thanks THR

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle Reloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ole farmerbuck
May 18, 2010, 07:10 AM
Of those choices, i like the 8208 and 10x. Both work great. A lot people say H335 but i have a lot better luck with Blc-2.

army_husbandky
May 18, 2010, 07:18 AM
Well, all the powder choices I have come up with are all for 24" rifles, I know through pistol reloading that the shorter the barrel, the quicker the powder burn needs to be. So if there is another powder out there that you have used that works well in a 16" barreled AR15, I would like to hear about it. Like I said, this is my first time reloading rifle, I would refer to my manuals, but all manuals are back in the states, been working with the reloading data that you get from the manufacturers websites. But please keep suggestions coming, as much info as I can get on the subject, the better.

Thanks again

JimKirk
May 18, 2010, 07:47 AM
I been using Reloder 10X under some 55 gr Hornady & Sierra bullets.
I'm getting great accuracy and about 2860 FPS Velocity out of a 16" DPMS Sweet Sixteen. That compares to Federal Bulk box (Walmart) 55 gr FMJ at 2893 FPS out of the same gun. I have not pushed that load to see if I could match the factory velocity as I have the accuracy I want.

Jimmy K

ole farmerbuck
May 18, 2010, 07:47 AM
Ok then, of those you listed, i'd bet on the 10x. (but dont forget about Bl-c2):)

JimKirk
May 18, 2010, 07:58 AM
Just remember that what ever powder gives you the highest velocity in a 24" barrel will 99% of the time give you the highest velocity out of a shorter barrel.

Jimmy K

steve4102
May 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
Ramshot Tac

Brian10
May 18, 2010, 12:48 PM
If you're using a progressive, I'd recommend TAC over Varget. I have no experience with the other two powders. TAC measures really well while Varget varies a lot with my Hornady powder measure.

ole farmerbuck
May 18, 2010, 01:42 PM
I use the LNL for my AR and use 8208 with 52gr BTHP's. Powder charges are verrry consistant.

sgte5
May 18, 2010, 03:55 PM
I've had very good results with Win 748 with the 55 gr bullets. Good luck and have fun with your new hobby.

Ranger Green
June 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
Varget is a little slow for gas guns, according to the Sierra Relloading manual. TAC meters slightly better through a powder measure than Varget if that matters. Win 748 is great for the same reasons and handles 55 grains bullets well. 748 also claims to burn cooler than other powders so as to extend the life of your barrel.

Walkalong
June 11, 2010, 04:58 PM
Which Rem 55's. If they are 55 Gr FMJ it doesn't matter which power you use as far as accuracy goes.

As far as burn rate, any of those will work. I would lean towards Reloader 10 until you use heavier bullets. TAC works fine with 55 Gr bullets though. I like H335 for an all around powder for .223.

rcmodel
June 11, 2010, 05:06 PM
I know through pistol reloading that the shorter the barrel, the quicker the powder burn needs to be.Wrong.
Jimkirk nailed it when he said:
Just remember that what ever powder gives you the highest velocity in a 24" barrel will 99% of the time give you the highest velocity out of a shorter barrel.

The same rule applies to handguns, and rifles, and carbines.

You might note that the Army shoots the same rifle ammo in 14.4" M-4 carbines they shoot in 20" M-16's.

rc

Maj Dad
June 11, 2010, 08:40 PM
I don't know why you are limiting yourself to those powders, but if it is academic, consider 748 or H335, even AA 2460 or 2520. They are very similar, and I believe 335 is one of the original GI powder formulations. I can tell you that 335 gives the best accuracy in my shorty 16s with 1:9 twist, and 748 is close behind. I stick to ball powders strictly for ease of reloading in progressives; stick powders can do as well, they just don't lend themselves to powder measures & high volume throughput. If you are deployed/OCONUS, don't rush yourself - keep learning & sounding ideas on this (and other) forum, & pick more than one powder. Your rifle may like powder A versus powder B or vice versa. If you're gonna reload, start out with an objective frame of mind and a bit of the scientific method. Not only is it logically superior, you get to shoot more (at least, with more direction and less flailing about). There are so many variables in reloading if can drive you nuts - just pick out some good components & load them so you can learn which works better. You might just luck out & hit the MOA lottery... :rolleyes:
Cheers!
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle Reloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!