Does anyone like Para Ordnance??

PDA

Ughh
May 19, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hello, what do you guys think about Para Ordnance 1911s. Are they reliable as far as 1911s go?

What's your experience with their customer service/warranty services??

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone like Para Ordnance??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kenno
May 19, 2010, 04:32 AM
I met one guy in Tribal Police that used one. The good thing about 1911's is that they are like the old school AK-47. If the Mfg is sticking with the original design they can't ef it up. If they cut corners effulent will hit the fan.

smartshooter.45
May 19, 2010, 04:41 AM
i bought my girlfriend a nice used para 1911. it is a commander with a nice black finish. i thought it had an issue with feeding but i found that my girl hadnt lubed it properly and it was running pretty dry.

i gave it a good clean, lubed it up. no problems 200 rounds later. i have alot of 1911s and i really like the type of black finish para uses. looks sharp. it reminds me alot of the the finish kimber uses on their pro carry 2 and the like.

ill say +1 para quality

edit: the para GI Expert series is a great value. excellent reviews.

jsnake
May 19, 2010, 09:19 AM
I have a 16-40 LTD as my only para. I love it and it treats me well.
Joe

Echo9
May 19, 2010, 09:27 AM
Their LDAs have stunningly nice triggers.

There's no 19 or 11 in those things though. The outside looks and feels like a 1911 but that's about as far as it goes.

I plan on picking one up, probably the 9mm PDA.

Gordon
May 19, 2010, 10:08 AM
I use an Old school P-14 as my go to gun fight gun on a war belt. It has properly fitted all GI issue internal parts that would fit the wide body. Carbon Fiber double diamond thin stocks slimmed the grips a bit and 10-8 sights are sighted in at 25 yards with ball ammo. I use +2 floorplates on Wolfe springs in good canadian mag bodies and do not have mag issues in 1000 round 3 day courses. Nothing like a 14 shot 1911 to make your day!

jmorris
May 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have a P16 double stack that runs great and only cost me $450 but I prefer STI's/SVI's due to weight and grip. I also had a P18 LTD LDA that I was going to use in IDPA SSP before the last rule change. I couldn't stand the long double reset of the LDA trigger and sold it.

rswartsell
May 19, 2010, 10:37 AM
I know I hate their magazines, they are replaceable with better examples though.

P-14
May 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
From Gordon: I use an Old school P-14 as my go to gun fight gun on a war belt. Nothing like a 14 shot 1911 to make your day!

Same for me. I shoot IDPA with mine, limited to 10 rounds for the competition.

Sheepdog1968
May 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have a friend that owns four and his are utterly reliable. Having said that, he didn't reccomend I get one as he knows many others who have had problems with theirs. I trust this person and I have passed on the PARA's.

BridgeTooFar
May 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
I love my GI Expert. No issues with it yet with 2000+ rounds through it. I've heard the customer service sucks, but I've yet to experience it (in a good or bad way).

CWL
May 19, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've owned my P13 since 1996. It has been massaged by 2 gunsmiths, but I still don't trust it to feed reliably enough to consider mine as a SD/HD pistol. Mine is mostly a problem with the magazines and FTE problems. They all get spring replacements every 1000-1500 rounds, but I just can't trust it compared to my other pistols.

DammitBoy
May 19, 2010, 02:29 PM
+10 for my P14 - never had any issues in the past 20 years with it.

Love my Para-Ordinance.

rduckwor
May 19, 2010, 03:57 PM
I just sold a P.14 Signature to a guy that has probably five or more Para's. They have had spotty periods in their history, but my limited experience indicates that they run fine.

Some do not like the double stack configuration, but it fit my hand just fine.

RMD

rd2007
May 19, 2010, 03:58 PM
Mine is new and only has a little over 50 rounds through it so far, but it was flawless, comfortable, and very accurate. The ESP is probably the best value.

Ala Dan
May 19, 2010, 04:07 PM
I like 'em, but I'm a little skeptical of 'em. I owned a 5" .45 ACP Para SSP
very briefly; but used it in trade, before I ever fired it. Eventually, I did
end up with a brand NIB Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special to replace the
SSP; and I have NEVER looked back. I'm glad too see that Para decided
to move into the lower 48 (North Carolina). Maybe that will cause Para
USA sales too pick up~? :scrutiny: ;)

Robert101
May 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
I won't buy one for any cost. Friends have had them and report the absolute worst customer service in the business. None for me.

Full Metal Jacket
May 19, 2010, 05:10 PM
had an issue with my gi expert--the extractor was too long, causing jams.

para's cust serv sux (they told me to buy a new one from brownells, or pay $70 to ship the whole gun to them :eek:).

replaced the extractor with a wilson bp, but not sure if i'm going to keep it. there's a lot of threads on 1911 forum about parts breaking and slides cracking.....

one thing's for sure, i will not buy another product from this company.

Ughh
May 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
Wow this is starting to sound bad. 1911s are said to outlast the shooter, but if the manufacturer has bad cust service then that 'guarantee' that the pistol will last is sort of... gone.

I was thinking about getting a High Cap P18 9 from Para. Not a lot of High Cap 1911 manufacturers. What do you guys think??

Full Metal Jacket
May 19, 2010, 11:24 PM
springfield armory just came out with a hi-cap GI model.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/images/PW9701LP.gif

i would avoid para like the black death.

Rittmeister
May 19, 2010, 11:56 PM
I had a Para Nite-Tac single-stack, stainless. I was quite happy with it, only sold it to fund another purchase.

Bullnettles
May 20, 2010, 12:06 AM
Had a P12-45, HATED anything but hollow points. Not a good first gun for me and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. My buddy could though, so I guess my only gripe is that it wouldn't eat WWB.

SuperNaut
May 20, 2010, 12:13 AM
Very happy hi-cap Nite-Tac SS owner here, mine has been flawless.

Ughh
May 20, 2010, 02:01 AM
Sigh... there are more bad reports than there are good.

I looked it up, apparently Para Ordnance has a lifetime warranty for the original owner: http://www.paraord.com/new/service_lifetime.php

Notice how it says "Gold Medallion Lifetime Service"!

Would you guys say that the finish and the reliability of Para's 1911s are just about as good as others, e.g. kimber, springfield armory??

Full Metal Jacket
May 20, 2010, 02:25 AM
Would you guys say that the finish and the reliability of Para's 1911s are just about as good as others, e.g. kimber, springfield armory??

my gi expert has a better slide/frame & and barrel/slide fit than SA milspecs. i've actually found no better for $500.

the finish sux, and is wearing prematurely.

para will refinish it for free under warranty, if you argue with them and take it to the right manager's attention. however, they keep it for at least 4 months, only to put the same crappy finish back on. (most likely won't reimburse shipping either).

their "gold medallion warranty" is a joke.

Rinspeed
May 20, 2010, 07:06 AM
Para is the king of marginally done cast parts. At one point some twit in the company even decided they could use a cast extractor, one of the most important parts of a 1911. :confused:

hso
May 20, 2010, 07:09 AM
I have shot a single action P12 and single action P14 for over 10 years and neither have given me any problems. The P12 is one of my carry guns and the P14 is the "bedroom" pistol.

Since I've never had any problems with them I can't comment on Para's customer service.

schmeky
May 20, 2010, 07:53 AM
springfield armory just came out with a hi-cap GI model.

Well son-of-a-gun . . . . . since SA has only used forged frames and slides in the past, AND has some of the very best customer service in the industry, this could only mean one thing; if you want a hi-cap 1911:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

71Commander
May 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
Is that SA a current issue? I know they made em in a limited run a few years back but stopped production.

SA made a 3.5" too. 12+1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/tucker13/sa-2.jpg

Full Metal Jacket
May 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
Is that SA a current issue? I know they made em in a limited run a few years back but stopped production.

yep. it's on their website.

DammitBoy
May 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
Ughh - keep in mind that no matter what type of gun you mention, you will find people that love them and people that hate them.

Using a popularity poll on an internet website is no way to choose a firearm.

Try actually shooting a Para and see what you think.

LRS_Ranger
May 20, 2010, 02:17 PM
I had a Carry 12 that ran really nice. It did like to be wet though. I probably shouldn't have sold it but there was a Benelli calling to me...

rd2007
May 20, 2010, 06:38 PM
Also remember that the people with problems are usually much more vocal. Those that are satisfied tend to just enjoy their purchase without bothering to comment on it.

Ughh
May 20, 2010, 07:37 PM
Since Para's hi-cap 1911s don't use the standard frame design, would you say that the P18-9 is smaller in grip compared to the P14?

Is the P18 even going to be bigger in the grip than a standard 1911??

Full Metal Jacket
May 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
Yes. Same frame as hi cap .45

MICHAEL T
May 21, 2010, 02:18 AM
My experience was a 1 shot pistol with a large ammo storage in grip area As for customer service They tried and I then had a sometimes 2 shot pistol with a large storage compartment in grip. Thes was a couple years back. I will never buy another I had better luck with a Llama it would at least get thru a mag now and then.

Marshall
May 22, 2010, 02:33 AM
I highly considered buying a Tac Four or a Carry 12 at one time. That LDA Trigger is sweet! And, the grip on them fits me like a glove, it's beautiful.

However, after reading the finicky nature of the guns, I backed off. Still then, I eyed the SSP and have since backed off of it as well for all the other 1911's that get great reviews in the same price range, and even less. Why take a chance when you don't need to?

Johnny Lightning
May 22, 2010, 07:10 AM
I was also looking at a Para 1911 and after reading all the negative comments about their customer service I wasn't comfortable buying one. I also saw alot of comments about how their finish wears really fast (spray on?). On the positive side I did hear that their accuracy is GREAT and are fairly reliable w/ a tight slide to frame (no rattle). I figure if you can find a stainless model and are planning to take it to your local gunsmith then go for it! Also heard their mags suck and to go buy wilson mags.

DammitBoy
May 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't know about their customer service as I haven't had a single problem with my Para P14 in over 21 years of carrying it. I average about 100 rounds a month thru it so that adds up to over 25,000 rounds with zero failures.

The finish still looks great and all three Para mags work great.

swiftak
May 22, 2010, 03:46 PM
I do.

Ughh
May 22, 2010, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't know about their customer service as I haven't had a single problem with my Para P14 in over 21 years of carrying it. I average about 100 rounds a month thru it so that adds up to over 25,000 rounds with zero failures.

The finish still looks great and all three Para mags work great.
Hey, so how is the grip on Para's hi-cap models? Full metal jacket says that it's the same frame used on 9mm, .40, and .45 for their hi-cap models, so, how is it's grip compared to standard 1911? How much wider is it??

What about the grip on SA's GI .45 high capacity model?

SuperNaut
May 22, 2010, 10:02 PM
I've done this before but I can't find the post so I will do it again. My digital calipers say:

STI Spartan = 1.27" at apex

Springfield Loaded = 1.27" at apex

Para Nite Tac = 1.29" at apex

The difference is minimal at apex, where you notice is at the front and back strap. Since the thickness is maintained through the entire grip of the Para. TBQH I actually quite like the feel of the para double stack, and I have average sized hands.

I've since switched to VZ's on both the STI and the Springer, they drop the thickness to 1.26" at apex.

71Commander
May 22, 2010, 10:16 PM
The STI double stacks are 1.250. Their grip is all inclusive.

DAVIDTWATSON
May 22, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have a Carry-12 and an SSP. The LDA trigger on the Carry-12 is awesome, even with a rather loooooong double reset. I have had both for several years with no problems at all. Last year, I paired the SSP with my Marvel .22 upper and use it for bullseye. Never needed CS, so I can't comment on that. They are on the expensive side, but if they ever get around to having the GI Expert approved for sale in Mass, I'll buy one.

txgolfer45
May 22, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have a GI Expert. It's 100% reliable and fairly accurate. not as accurate as my TRP, but I didn't expect it either.

Ughh
May 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
I just took a close scrutiny of Springfield Armory's GI hi cap, and it looks exactly like Para's hi-cap models. The wide body of the SA's GI design looks exactly the same and that it's wider on the sides of the grip.

The difference is minimal at apex, where you notice is at the front and back strap.

Are you saying that hi-cap 1911s are more noticeably longer from the front strap to the back strap? From pictures, I'd imagine that hi-cap 1911s are wider at the grip from side to side than longer at the grip from front to back. Am i wrong?

Ughh
May 23, 2010, 12:02 AM
BTW, thanks for the input on all this as I am seriously considering a hi-cap 1911 for USPSA Limited division and IDPA.

SuperNaut
May 23, 2010, 12:10 AM
Are you saying that hi-cap 1911s are more noticeably longer from the front strap to the back strap? From pictures, I'd imagine that hi-cap 1911s are wider at the grip from side to side than longer at the grip from front to back. Am i wrong?

No, not longer, wider. Standard single-stack 1911's step down and get narrower from the apex of the grip to the front and back strap. A double-stack doesn't step down, it stays wide. I'm probably not describing it well.

Nick5182
May 23, 2010, 12:38 AM
I figure if you can find a stainless model and are planning to take it to your local gunsmith then go for it!

That's what I'm planning. I'm going to try to get a GI Expert Stainless and send it to Cylinder and Slide. I bought an Ed Brown Match Aluminum trigger and stainless steel Flat mainspring housing with the smooth finish. I'm going to have C&S install a stainless high-ride beaver tail grip safety and an extended stainless thumb safety, as well as do their machine stippling on the mainspring housing and front strap. I'll probably swap sights eventually, but from what I've seen, the stock sights should be good for awhile. C&S's prices seem very fair for the labor involved which is why I am choosing them for my custom work. I'm heading to a semi-large gun show tomorrow and hopefully will find one in my price range, or do some haggling for a good price because it's the last day of the show. The parakote problems and my corrosive sweat are the main reason I'm going to wait until I find a stainless model.

71Commander
May 23, 2010, 06:53 AM
I would give it a second thought about Limited Div. The mag capacity is going to put you at a big disadvantage. You'd be up against shooters having 20 rounds in their mags.

It would be a great Limited10 gun though.

capttom
May 24, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have a buddy who uses his Paras in IPSC and he's never had a problem. He's d@mn good at that game, too, so I trust his opinion. (He's the one who turned me on to the S&W 908 as a primo CCW choice.) He's let me shoot one of his Paras- I don't remember the model - and it was nice enough. Not nice enough to make me give up on my trusty Colt Combat Commander, though.

msg2020
November 2, 2010, 05:09 PM
I love my custom ParaOrdnance p14 45 hicap lda shoots like a dream feels so nice in my hands i would never sell it .

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone like Para Ordnance??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!