165gr Hornady Interbonds Performance On Elk

PDA

SAUMHUNTER79
May 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
Have any of you shot an Elk with these? Did they work well? Do they penetrate deep enough? They shoot really well out of my 30-06 and they kick less than the 180gr so I was wondering if they are tough enough for the job. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "165gr Hornady Interbonds Performance On Elk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hoghunting
May 20, 2010, 01:25 AM
I have a friend in Alaska that uses a 300 WSM with the Hornady 165 gr Interbonds for caribou and moose, and they have worked very well. I also use the 165 gr Interbonds in a 300 WSM, and the bullets are amazing on 300 - 350 lb hogs. With a thick coating of mud and hair, and a gristle plate over an inch thick, big hogs can be very tough on bullets. I've had more one shot, instant drops with the Interbonds than any other bullet. And, in our rifles, the Interbonds are extremely accurate.

ReloaderFred
May 20, 2010, 02:29 AM
I haven't used the Hornady Interbond bullets on elk, but I've used Hornady's 165 grain SPBT bullets in my .30-06 to take several elk and deer and they've never failed me. In fact, it's the only bullet I load for my .30-06 hunting rifle and I use it for everything from squirrels to elk.

Hope this helps.

Fred

SAUMHUNTER79
May 24, 2010, 12:30 PM
Awesome, thanks guys.

dirtman
May 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have taken several elk and uncounted deer with Hornady's 165
BTSP interlock product #3045 Very accurate and like ReloaderFred they have never failed me..... good penetration

SAUMHUNTER79
May 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I've always had good luck with the 165gr BTSP as well but I've only used it on deer. It is a hammer on deer though, always went straight through and left an exit hole the size of a raquet ball on the way out and a 4ft. wide blood trail, not that I've ever needed one, deer have never run more than 50yds. with most dying where they stood, excellent bullet, one of my favorites. The 165gr Interbonds shoot a little bit tighter out of my rifle and I wanted something a bit tougher for elk in case I only got a less than ideal but still useable shot.

mregunz
May 25, 2010, 10:06 PM
Samhunter79,I've never had a hornady fail me,for accuracy or for penetration,I've never used there interbond but have used,just plain interlock's on deer from 270's(130 grn.)and never had them fail.I've even used the 130 grn.outta a .270 35 yr's ago and then all they had was a cannulure to hold the jacket and lead together and never had trouble with accuracy or one shot kill's,course most were only at a 100or 150 yd's.But more velocity shed's jacket's faster than a 300 yd shot cause bullet is slowed down which I'am sure you already,know.I wouldn't be a bit afraid of a interbond Hornady.

WYcoyote
May 25, 2010, 10:49 PM
I have not tried the 165gr. Interbond but have taken three bull elk and one bull moose with the 180gr. Interbond in .300 Win Mag.
All were quick clean kills and 3 recovered bullets found just under the hide on the far side had the classic mushroom shape with plenty of weight retention. I'd have to go weigh them to give you a percentage but it is good enough for me.
I'll bet the 165gr. would work just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "165gr Hornady Interbonds Performance On Elk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!