What is the min. econ. gear to trim cases?

PDA

Ignition Override
May 20, 2010, 01:15 AM
My only reloading has been for .303 Prvi. but finally noticed that some cases exceed the max. 2.222" and won't use them until they are within the max. tolerances. Some have been used two, three or even four times.

The Midway catalog has many types of gear, but I can't determine what they are. Am not exaggerating.
From my perspective, in most cases (no pun) the descriptions are not clear.

What are the names of the most basic, necessary parts that you need for manual trimming?
A guy tried to help with an e-mail about RCBS etc on FleaBay, but did not state the Names of parts which are required.
He missed my main/only point.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the min. econ. gear to trim cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waffentomas
May 20, 2010, 01:32 AM
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1274329838.1824=/html/catalog/casecon.html

and a drill.

tom

Ignition Override
May 20, 2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks very much. Really like my britischen Waffen usw.

Had reviewed their video earlier for setting the neck-sizing die, and did not know that they explained the basics.

degunner
May 20, 2010, 02:28 AM
I and several of my buddies have one of these
Lyman Universal Case Trimmer Kit with 9 Pilots
Product #: 795961

and then get something like this if you donnt have one

Hornady Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber
Product #: 742818
If you have a C&R you can some some $$$ at midway and other vendors, my savings from midway alone covered the cost of my C&R
My friends just bought what was on sale and so did I unless you are a benchrest shooter any one of the big companies you will be able to assemble safe reloads (but if you are already rollin your own you know this) good luck and enjoy

medalguy
May 20, 2010, 03:26 AM
Trim die and a file.

scythefwd
May 20, 2010, 04:24 AM
IO, using the lee stuff, you can have a trimmer and pilot for about 7 dollars. A new guide gets you a second caliber for about 3 dollars more. Lather/Rinse/Repeat. The chamfer/deburring tool from lee works well enough and runs about 4 dollars. All in all, its about 11 dollars in tools for the first caliber and 3-4 dollars per caliber after that.
medalguy's method is cheaper, but I couldn't do it. My hands aren't stable enough

Kernel
May 20, 2010, 09:25 AM
Midway want's $36 for a Redding .303 Brit trim die. Lee's system is WAY cheaper, and it's really fast & easy.

jeepmor
May 21, 2010, 02:00 AM
A file and something to measure your case with. You'll be disappointed and move to something more automated, so just start there, it's worth it.

jmorris
May 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
I would have said a file and trim die but I was stuck away from home one time with no way to trim 308 brass for a belt fed toy. I machined what looked like a fat case gauge so the over length brass stuck out just like it would in the trim die and used a belt sander to trim. It worked and was free…

BigJakeJ1s
May 21, 2010, 11:55 AM
For non-adjustable (or repeated adjustability) length trimming, the Lee system is impossible to beat.

If you need adjustable trim length, the L.E. Wilson is quite low cost, but also among the best manual trimmers available.

Andy

dagger dog
May 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
The Lee case length gauge and cutter are available through several sources for under 30$ for one caliber , once you have purchased the cutter, the gauges and shell holder are available for under 10 bucks per caliber. Check the Ebay sites there is one there that will sell you the gauge and shell holder, (which comes as a kit) for 7 bucks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the min. econ. gear to trim cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!