used seating method, are results right?

PDA

BrokenWheel
May 20, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am trying to find the optimal seating depth for my 9mm. So I did a search and there was a write up on this forum on how to determine it. Well I am getting an OAL of 1.2"! All of my reloading literature, states that I should seat a 115 grain FMJ bullet to give an OAL of 1.1" max.

So given the result of the measurement what should my OAL be?

If you enjoyed reading about "used seating method, are results right?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roccobro
May 20, 2010, 08:55 PM
So given the result of the measurement what should my OAL be?
Shorter than 1.2". :P

Seriously though. For your gun and load, which length is more accurate?

Justin

BrokenWheel
May 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
So I could try, for example, 1.18" and see what happens?

The reason I ask people in the past have always told me don't deviate from the manual!

Roccobro
May 20, 2010, 09:02 PM
If it fits in your magazine, feeds and shoots well from your gun, and is within safe powder levels you should be A-ok.

Wait for others to confirm. Just like referencing multiple manuals. :D

Justin

Walkalong
May 20, 2010, 09:04 PM
I load 115 FMJ at 1.130 to 1.135 O.A.L.. Works just great. 1.1 is kind of short IMHO.

bds
May 21, 2010, 02:45 AM
Most 115 gr FMJ bullets I reloaded worked well with 1.125" OAL in MY pistols. :D

Depending on the powder you use for this lightweight bullet, you may find that shorter OALs less than 1.12" may start to compress the powder charge in the case.

For me, I find heavier 125 gr plated bullets provide more OAL options and less chance for powder compression while still providing reliable slide cycling in stiff recoil spring pistols like Glocks.

degunner
May 21, 2010, 04:24 AM
In case anyone cares I am loading out of Lymans 49th ed. and they give OAL for 115gr jhp as 1.090" but on the little write up for the caliber they have a OAL of 1.169" what gives?
am getting ready to start my 9mm and donnt want compressed loads

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 21, 2010, 04:34 AM
Take into consideration that you may some day have another pistol of the same caliber. If that happens, will the ammo you are producing be compatible with that gun as well, or just in the gun you currently have?

For the sake of .02", I would go for the shortest length listed.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 21, 2010, 04:36 AM
In case anyone cares I am loading out of Lymans 49th ed. and they give OAL for 115gr jhp as 1.090" but on the little write up for the caliber they have a OAL of 1.169" what gives?
am getting ready to start my 9mm and donnt want compressed loads
What's the matter with a bit of compressed powder? I'm sure you aren't talking having to take out the 5# sledgehammer to get the bullet seated. If you are, then you had better double-check your specifications and measurements - which is always good practice ANYWAY!

bds
May 21, 2010, 04:42 AM
degunner, JHP bullet nose profile is different than FMJ round nose and amount of bullet base that is seated inside the case neck will be different - that's why different bullet used will show different powder charge and OAL used.

In general, round nose FMJ OAL for 115 gr bullet will be around 1.125" and should feed/chamber well in almost all 9mm pistols.

For JHP, depending on the bullet manufacturer, you would need to test different OAL to see if it will reliably feed/chamber from the magazine. I usually start with the longer OAL and incrementally seat the same bullet deeper until I have good feeding/chambering from the magazine. Then I test load several different powder charge weights that will reliably cycle the slide and give accurate shot groups.

The original post mentioned using 115 gr FMJ bullet. Are you using 115 gr FMJ or JHP?

Walkalong
May 21, 2010, 07:09 AM
1.169 is just the max O.A.L. for 9MM with any bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "used seating method, are results right?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!