SP or SR primers?

PDA

aerod1
May 20, 2010, 09:49 PM
Is there a physical characteristic that you can use to tell the difference between a small pistol vs. a small rifle primer that is not in the original package? Same for large pistol vs. large rifle primers?
Thanks for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "SP or SR primers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
May 20, 2010, 10:05 PM
Not really for SP & SR, other than the fact some may be recognised by the color on the inside. I have not done a comparison of all primers by any means, but more then two or three colors are used, I do know that.

LP and LR primers are different heights.

ArchAngelCD
May 21, 2010, 03:40 AM
The above post is correct...

Is there a reason for your question? If we have a reason we might be able to help more.

aerod1
May 21, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have some either SP or SR which are the same size and don't what they are. I think I will trash them.

jr45
May 21, 2010, 09:52 AM
If you were wanting to use them, I would only load them in a pistol caliber (with reduced charge). SR primers have basicly the same demintions as SP but their cups tend to be a bit harder and charge is stronger...could get some light strikes due to the thicker/harder cup.

Walkalong
May 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
Yep. I would use them for some blasting ammo where you are not running max charges and fine accuracy is not needed (although still may happen). I sure wouldn't waste them. At close range you will never see a difference.

ArchAngelCD
May 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
I agree, use them in practice ammo instead of throwing them away. If they are SR primers they are no more powerful than SPM primers.

Roccobro
May 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
Just curious, how can you have some primers and NOT know what they are? Were they stored outside of their packaging? Or are we talking about just some loose primers found along your workbench or in a forgotten priming tool that wouldn't amount to more than "a handful"?

Justin

If you enjoyed reading about "SP or SR primers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!