bushnell warranty

PDA

dakotasin
May 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
so... i was just about ready to spring for a new bushnell 4200 this afternoon, and noticed the "1 year no questions asked replacement" policy...

i went to their website for more info, and of course they didn't provide an email address, but the site also mentioned a 1 year policy.

this leads me to believe bushnell does not offer a lifetime warranty on their 4200-series scopes. can this possibly be true?

If you enjoyed reading about "bushnell warranty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sonrider657
May 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
Seeing as how almost everything bushnell makes is made in china or taiwan, I would not trust their warranty anyway.

MIL-DOT
May 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
Nonsense. The Elite series ( formerly the highly rated Bausch & Lomb line) is fully made in Japan, and are dynamite scopes.The 4200's have fully multi-coated lenses, and are magnum rated. I had a Beeman Goldfinger R9 .20 pellet rifle ( from the boys at Straightshooters ;) ) and the lower level Bushnell Banner scope on it mafunctioned ( the magnifiation ring was stuck ). I called SS, and they recommended returning it to Bushnell, then asking about their little advertised upgrade option. After they determined it was faulty, Bushnel allowed me to pay a VERY reasonable amount of money to upgrade to a much higher qualty 3200 Elite 5-15 tactical mil-dot scope.
I recently bought a 4200 3-9x40 from Overstock.com for a new stainless mini-14,instead of a Nikon I was considering, and am quite happy.
The one-year policy means a full purchase price refund,no questions asked, in the first year. After that, they have a full lifetime warranty that I can personally vouch for.

armoredman
May 20, 2010, 10:53 PM
Since I have a nice shiney new Bushnell 4-12x40AO on my CZ 527, I hope they have a good warrentee! :)

Maverick223
May 20, 2010, 11:10 PM
this leads me to believe bushnell does not offer a lifetime warranty on their 4200-series scopes. can this possibly be true?I have a had time believing that. That is one of their premier series, and a great scope. I think that just means that you can request a replacement (rather than repair or replacement at their discretion) within a 1yr. time period.

Since I have a nice shiney new Bushnell 4-12x40AO on my CZ 527, I hope they have a good warrentee!Which one...Banner or an Elite 3200...or something else? Wish you luck, but if this one breaks i'm blaming you...you can't be that unlucky (this is no. 3, right?). :neener:

armoredman
May 20, 2010, 11:15 PM
Sportsman, not Banner or Elite. Yes, number three, but this one was donated to the cause.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/527/527withBushnell.jpg

Maverick223
May 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
Sportsman, not Banner or Elite. Yes, number three, but this one was donated to the cause.Didn't realize that they made a Sportsman in a 4-12x...oh well, still a great scope for the money. ;)

dakotasin
May 21, 2010, 01:07 AM
thanks fellas - i thought i had to be missing something.
gonna pick the scope up tomorrow: 4-16x40, and i think i'll try out some burris tactical rings, and screw the works on top of the new remington r-25 in 308 and see how well it does.

Eb1
May 21, 2010, 01:31 AM
I use the Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 series. Good scopes.

JDGray
May 21, 2010, 05:15 AM
Seeing as how almost everything bushnell makes is made in china or taiwan, I would not trust their warranty anyway.
My Elite 3200 was made in Japan, the lifetime warranty is in conjunction with the Elite 1 year "Return for ANY reason" Warranty

doubleh
May 21, 2010, 06:44 AM
I had a Sportsman 3x9 on a !0/22 that failed. Don't remember exactly how old it was but it was over a year. I called Bushnell and told them my problem. They said to send it in and they would take care of it. When I got it back it had turned into a 3x9 Banner. :D If they provide this kind of service for their cheapest scope surely they will do the same with the more expensive lines.

Rokman
May 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
I have used a lot of Bushnell scopes from cheap to Elite in the past and none of them have failed me. That warranty sounds like they have done away with anything resembling a lifetime coverage. I have mostly been buying Nikon and Sightron scopes recently and have been happy with them, although no warranty issues with them yet.

Snakum
May 21, 2010, 02:49 PM
One year NQA replacement, limited lifetime.

Oh ... and killer scopes. Made in Japan. I'm rocking an Elite 4200 FFP and fixed 3200.

nathan
May 21, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have three of the Bushnell 4 x 12 x 40 AO Banner series. They are selling these for $`100 a piece at Academy. I had them for 11 yrs and been problem free. The glass is clear and nice focusing. In fact, its mounted in my Marlin 880 SQ and credited for accurate shots on many small games.

dakotasin
May 21, 2010, 08:48 PM
i sprung for it.

4-16x40 elite 4200, made in japan, target turrets. i'll wring it out this weekend.

JDGray
May 21, 2010, 09:29 PM
Great choice;) Post results from your box test, my 3200 Tactical put the last shot, 1/2" from the first shot. The spread was a bit off from advertised (I dialed 6", and it printed 6 3/4"), but tracking was very good.

Maverick223
May 21, 2010, 09:33 PM
I think you'll like it, they are a fine scope for the money.

:)

dakotasin
May 21, 2010, 09:54 PM
i've already got a 3200 10x40 - it works fine on my 22-250. i'm sure this one will be ok - but obviously the warranty is an issue w/ me. i just needed to clarify that.

i hope it tracks truer than what jd is reporting - that level of tracking won't work in this application and i'll unload it. i've been on a sightron kick lately, and the tracking on the sightrons is about perfect - so i need this scope to be as well.

JDGray
May 21, 2010, 10:07 PM
The tracking was good, the click value was off a bit. You have to range it for your loads anyways, so it didn't matter to me. I'm sure it will perform as well as the 3200 you have. The warranty, if I read it right, is lifetime, + the return for any reason you want for a year. Hard to beat that!

Bill_Rights
May 22, 2010, 02:28 AM
Good. I think you will be happy with your purchase. Bushnell might be the best for the money, at most price points.

I just bought a low-end "Banner" (3.5x10 x 36 mm 71-3510) for my .17 HMR squirrel rifle ($98 @ Optics Planet) and it is looking good. It is made in "Korea", i.e. South Korea. Which brings me to my point regarding sonrider657's comment: Seeing as how almost everything bushnell makes is made in china or taiwan, I would not trust their warranty anyway.sonrider657, please identify one Bushnell product that you can prove is "Made in China" by model number and description.

Besides being proven wrong by earlier posters who know that some of the best Bushnell products are made in Japan, sonrider657, you are very wrong in equating "Made in China" with "Made in Taiwan" (or "Made in Korea").

Communist China engages is state-sponsored piracy of designs, processes and patents. Chinese manufacturing outfits, even though they are contracted with USA name brands, are protected by the ChiComm government from prosecution of infringement, copyright violation, etc. Also protected from being sued or held liable in product failures. Japan, on the other hand, is "squeaky clean". In Korea and Taiwan, where I have a bit of optics sales experience, yes, there is some playing "fast and loose" with USA, European and Japanese intellectual property, BUT it is not state sponsored and there is no official government protection for violators. Yeh, there probably is some bribed "looking the other way" going on, but, basically, the Korean and Taiwanese manufacturers have to perform fairly or the gov't can't shield them from Western market/legal/contract consequences.

Overall, there is a world of night-and-day difference between outsourcing a product to ChiComm PRC and either Korea or Taiwan. The US outsourcing company (Bushnell) has much more control, "transparency" and legal recourse in Korea and Taiwan than in ChiComm territory. I would 1000X prefer to buy a product made in Korea or Taiwan, since the US outsourcer has direct acountability all the way back to the optics coating/assembly shop, versus buy a product made in Communist China, where a) the US outsourcer is only honoring the warranty by way of the original cost being so cheap (because of ChiComm slave and exploited labor, horribly lax environmental pollution situation, etc.) and b) the US outsourcer is only honoring the warranty by sending you a replacement ChiComm product which he has no reason to believe is any better/different than the one you just rejected. A crap-shoot numbers game.

PLEASE do not equate our allies and friends (Japan, S. Korea and Taiwan) with those who have sworn themselves to be our mortal enemies, the COMMUNIST CHINESE.

armoredman
May 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
Umm, I hate to say this, but both the Sportsman brand Bushnell scopes I had/have, are quite clearly stamped "Made in China" on the bottom of the scope. Not Taiwan, not Korea, not Japan, China.

atlanticfire
May 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
I have bushnells from sportsman all the way to 6500s and all of them are great. Also two 3200 pistol scopes on my 44 and 500. Here is a pic of my 4200 8x32x40.
http://jaybiddle.com/GUNS/Savage1.jpg
And some of my 3200 pistol scopes
http://jaybiddle.com/GUNS/629_1.jpg
http://jaybiddle.com/GUNS/500mag1.jpg

CraigC
May 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
The Bushnell Elite series scopes are very, very well reputed and comparable to our best domestic brands. This is the old Bausch & Lomb line that earned a stellar reputation before it got folded under the Bushnell brand name. They are head and shoulders above their other stuff, that IS made in China. The Elite series are the only Bushnells I would even consider.

Maverick223
May 22, 2010, 01:22 PM
Umm, I hate to say this, but both the Sportsman brand Bushnell scopes I had/have, are quite clearly stamped "Made in China" on the bottom of the scope. Not Taiwan, not Korea, not Japan, China.Yep the new ones are, OTOH the older ones (at least mine) were made in Korea. The Korean ones tend to exhibit a little better glass quality, but both are pretty decent. Bottom line: If you must buy a cheap scope, they are the ones to get; may not have great optics, but at least they are decently reliable/repeatable/durable.

Snakum
May 23, 2010, 10:50 AM
Every Elite series scope I've owned tracked the box perfectly when tested and the clicks were also spaced perfectly, which is very important (try that test on all your scopes if you hunt long range). I had Banner and Sportsman models that were a little off here and there but still fine for busting deer and hogs in the brush.

alpineman1
August 17, 2010, 05:37 PM
I purchased a Baush & Lomb Discoverer 10X42 binoculars about 6 years back for $580.00. they came with a lifetime warranty.
I have been getting a double vision out of them and cannot focus them in, also the eyecups have loosened so bad they will not stay out.
On June 29th I sent them in to Bushnell (bushnell ownes Baush & Lomb) over night delivery for warranty repair, on July 23rd after not hearing back or receiving them back I called to inquire about them they said they have not looked at them yet and donít know when they will, still after not hearing from them it is August 17th and I called and was told they want $262 to repair them they are trying to tell me I dropped them. And this is not covered under warranty. These binoculars have never been dropped and when not in use were always stored in there case. They have always been very well cared for. There are no signs of them ever being dropped.
Last year I had a problem with my Leupold riffle scope was not able to adjust anymore sent them in and within 2 weeks had them back no questions asked.
I own another pair of bushnell binoculars and 2 - 4200 bushnell riffle scopes. Which I purchased in the last year. 1 riffle scope was messed up from as soon as I got it could never get it to sight in properly after about $100 in shells at the range trying to sight it in, they kept telling me it was the riffle not the scope so I changed to another scope and within about 3 shoots all was good they finally gave me a new replacement scope. This is all within a week of purchasing it.
No more Bushnell products for me, they have no warranty and customer service is terrible.

Maverick223
August 18, 2010, 01:19 PM
alpineman1, welcome to THR. Bushnell may not have the best warranty (Vortex and Leupold) in the business, but I don't believe they are the worst either. You may want to contact the BBB with regards to your warranty claim on the binoculars.

wolffman
December 5, 2011, 05:48 PM
Alpineman1

I'm just doing some searching before I send my B&L Discoverer 10x42 back for warranty. My singular eye focus clicker does not hold place when the main focus wheel is turned. Every time I put them to my eyes I have to re-adjust them. This is nothing that I have done to them, and have personally seen 4 other pairs of the same binoculars with the exact same problem. I'm wondering what the end result was with your warranty issue? Did you end up having to pay the $$, did they repair them or replace them? As I said above every other pair of these binocs I have seen has the exact same problem....faulty focus wheel. Thanks much for the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "bushnell warranty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!