pistol bullets at rifle velocities

PDA

Snake
May 21, 2010, 06:11 PM
hearing talk about how bad a pistol bullets effiecency is at higher rifle speeds upwards of 2000fps. whats the down fall to this and whats deal?

this pertains to larger rounds chambered for AR15 rilfes i.e; .450bushmaster or .50beowulf at higher speeds. Im curious whats so different between the bullets compounds that people would say a "pistol" bullet isn't good at higher speeds????? whats so different about the construction/design that makes it not as good? Is it really different?

most of the those rounds werent' designed to be used past 250yrds anyways but if one wants a faster custom load for hunting why would it be bad at higher speeds?

thanks for any light on my subject.

If you enjoyed reading about "pistol bullets at rifle velocities" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
May 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
whats so different about the construction/design that makes it not as good? Is it really different?

Yes

Jacket thickness and/or taper, lead hardness. It mostly things two things that dictate at what velocity a bullet will perform best. Pistol bullets can fail at rifle velocities due simply to the fact that are not usually not built as tough as is needed at those higher velocities.

rcmodel
May 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
A pistol bullet at rifle velocity will blow up on target like a varmint bullet in a centerfire rifle.

They are designed and constructed to expand at handgun velocity.

Adding another 750 - 1,000 FPS from a rifle can make them blow up on target instead of penetrate.

rc

SlamFire1
May 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
I was in the pits during 200 yard RF when the target next to me called out "insufficient rounds". We relayed the information to the line. One shooter had some goofy .223 bullets that were so lightly constructed that they were fragmenting in flight. I don't think more than one arrived intact on the target.

Second relay same target insufficient rounds. When I got back to the line and asked what was going on, I found out the shooter loaded 20 rounds in his magazine for the second relay, and had fun blasting them all out during the 60 second RF sequence. Maybe one made it to the target in good enough shape to make a hole!

Jesse Heywood
May 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
In addition to going to pieces on impact, the higher velocity creates more friction in the barrel and can cause jacket separation in or leaving the barrel. So even if you're just target shooting the accuracy can be impacted.

Snake
May 21, 2010, 10:21 PM
thanks guys, that helps make my decision more clear on which big bore upper to purchase. I'll go with the .458 socom. been doing searches for months on the 3 popular big bore rounds and the .458 has the lease amount of enery out of the three but has a better selection of "rifle" projectiles and isn't as expensive if you reload.

.458 socom it is!

bluetopper
May 22, 2010, 11:07 AM
My 500 S&W bullets work great out my Handi-Rifle at 2300fps.

Cast lead gas checks as well as thick copper plated bullets.

Kernel
May 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
2000 fps isn't very fast. Many pistol bullets are designed to perform at that velocity. Most aren't. Use the ones that are. Here's a performance chart for various Hornady XTPs showing the appropriate velocity range:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/underrated_hornady_XTP.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "pistol bullets at rifle velocities" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!