Any good handloading loads,for the .38-40 bullet?

PDA

sterling180
May 22, 2010, 08:08 AM
Hello there,can anyone recommend me a good manual or tell me a recipe for handloading .38-40 winchester& S&W Russian? As any old gun that is chambered for these rounds,are considered 'obsolete'&no license is required to own them,providing they are not used,otherwise they'd be on a Firearms certificate.
Been looking on the internet for the .38-40 reloading info&it is hard to find.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any good handloading loads,for the .38-40 bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
May 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
www.hodgdon.com has a few pistol loads for the 38-40. I believe that Lyman manuals have info about it too. You might try Ebay to buy a few different used manuals at decent prices.

Many here at THR realize that our friends living in the U.K. have to comply with draconian laws in a country that use to put their people's freedoms first.

NCsmitty

R.Clem
May 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
I have a couple of older manuals that I am sure have the data you are looking for, the catch being, I won't be home till Thursday of next week. PM me as a reminder, I'll look and see what they say and post a picture of the pages needed.
If you can use black powder or a substitute in the UK, the correct load should be 38 grains FFFg with a .401 dia. lead bullet. Black powder, I believe is what the 38-40 was designed for.
Try this link: http://www.reloadammo.com/3840.htm
If you are allowed to use black powder or a substitute, you will want to read the recipes on this page:
http://milsurpshooter.net/reply/78035/t/BPCR-Bullet-Lube-Recipes.html#reply-78035
With black powder or one of the substitutes, you will need to used a wad between the base of the bullet and the powder.
Good shooting and be safe.

Ray

NCsmitty
May 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
sterling180, I found this article while searching for other interests. Some cowboy action loads for the old 38-40.

www.gunsandammo.com/content/the-3840-winchester

NCsmitty

sterling180
May 24, 2010, 04:54 PM
:)Great stuff&thanks alot everyone for this information.Ray,thanks again for this&I'll PM you before Thursday,in advance.
Many here at THR realize that our friends living in the U.K. have to comply with draconian laws in a country that use to put their people's freedoms first.
Yes very sad but true.The lunacy is that we have had to sacrifice our rights to certain types of guns,in order to pay the price for a safer society.:uhoh:

R.Clem
May 27, 2010, 10:49 AM
Sterling180:
The page is from a early 1950's Lyman-Ideal handbook.
NOTE: #6 & 5066 do not refer to any powder that is currently produced.
Use the suggested starting loads.

R.Clem
May 28, 2010, 01:36 AM
This page is for your "rifle".
These are not "pistol" loads for a 38-40

Ray

If you enjoyed reading about "Any good handloading loads,for the .38-40 bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!