.40 Caliber

PDA

5thSFGroup
May 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
I am loading the #5 TCFP.40 caliber using Clays powder at the recommended 3.5 grains. The rounds are working fine. The bullet length is 1.125. I am getting a large amount of smoking. Clays is a clean burning powder. Any suggestions or is it just the lubrication that is vaporizing?

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 Caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bds
May 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
Smoke during firing lead bullets with lube is normal. Missouri Bullets I received came with very liberal amounts of hard blue lube (the good stuff) and I consider extra lube is better than not enough lube on my lead bullets. ;)

Walkalong
May 22, 2010, 02:23 PM
Yep. It's the lube, and the lead to a small degree, but mostly the lube. Come with the territory.

Precision Bullets (http://www.precisionbullets.com/) (and others) are a less smoky alternative without going to plated or jacketed, but they have gone way up in pricing. I can buy Berrys plated bullets (http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c14-40_Cal10MM_.401.aspx) almost as cheap now.

Welcome to THR

5thSFGroup
May 22, 2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks folks. I do not know if we can survive the onslaught until 2012. I am doing all I can to halt the tide. I am an ex Green Beret from Viet Nam. I have 3 purple hearts, 14 orthopedic surgeries and the following 8 week per surgery orthopedic rehab. A total of over 112 weeks. I never regreted one day until now....we need to take back out country. How the hell did this happen!?

Back to business. I bought my youngest daughter a XD/M 3.8, .40 caliber for her college graduation present. She loves it. Her weapon accumulates more lead than my Sig. P 226. Is there a problem that is similar to the Glock when using lead? Or just business as usuall. I am retired and have just begun reloading. Lots of questions and lots of mistakes...but lots of fun. I can now afford to shoot as I want. Looking forward to hearing from you folks and always open to suggestions.

Impeach the bastards. Obama is guilty of treason.

Tim the student
May 23, 2010, 01:32 AM
5th Group, welcome to THR. Thanks for your service.

Don't let your own thread get locked or deleted by turning it political.

sharptailhunter
May 23, 2010, 02:12 AM
I can't speak for Clays but I was first using Titegroup with my .40 lead SWCs and they smoked quite a bit. I switched to AA#7 and found them to smoke a lot less and they we're considerably more accurate. My point is, some powders are definitely different/better than others. Oh yeah, my barrel leaded less with the AA#7 as well.

5thSFGroup
May 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
Clays is one of the cleanest buring powders out there. I have very little smoke from my reloaded .45 in a Kimber. For some reason, the .40 rounds in my daughter's pistol seem to smoke quite a bit. The specs call for 3.5 grains....I am wondering if bumping it up to 3.7 might help.

5thSFGroup
May 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
Will do.

dwhite
May 26, 2010, 08:44 PM
I load 180 grain LTCFP bullets with Clays and get some smoke at 3.3 grains. 3.5 grains is getting pretty warm with Clays. 3.7 .... I don't think I'd go there. Clays is known to pressure spike very quickly when approaching maximum loads. This is how Kabooms happen. I'd be real careful.

Another powder may be a better solution. Universal works good with this bullet weight and I find it smokes a little less. Plated bullets will also eliminate smoking at less cost than jacketed however jacketed won't be a lot more cost than plated.

All the Best,
D. White

P.S. Thanks for your service!

bds
May 26, 2010, 11:18 PM
Clays is one of the cleanest buring powders out there. I have very little smoke from my reloaded .45 in a Kimber. For some reason, the .40 rounds in my daughter's pistol seem to smoke quite a bit. The specs call for 3.5 grains....I am wondering if bumping it up to 3.7 might help.
5thSFGroup, are you shooting MBC lead bullet in your Kimber too? I find MBC lead bullets arrive with a bit more lube than other commercial lead bullets I have used. I am not sure if increasing the powder charge will decrease the amount of smoke (my last few range tests shooting various powder charges for the same weight/caliber lead bullets did not show any variation in the amount of lube smoke produced).

I am shooting the same IDP #5 180 gr 40 TCFP bullet in G22/G27/M&P and the amount of smoke I am seeing is comparable to other commercial bullets. Since I am getting much less leading with MBC bullets (virtually no leading after my last range test), I do not mind the extra lube.

If you are looking for another powder, W231/HP38 (same powder) is another clean burning powder that has wider powder charge range than other powders (For me, 3.5 gr - 4.8 gr for 180 gr lead bullet so far).

5thSFGroup
May 26, 2010, 11:34 PM
I fired another 100 rounds today. Not as much smoke as previously. I believe this was a case of operator hypersensitivity....lol. I am going to stay with the the 3.5 grains of Clay and finish the 4 lbs of powder I have. I will give another powder a look/see after that if things do not appear kosher.

My daughter;s XD/M had far less lead than it did on the first go around. Her weapon is new and it may just be a case of things settling down.

Yes....I am shooting a round nose MBC in my .45. Shot it today with outstanding results. (soft ball).

bds
May 27, 2010, 01:59 AM
5thSFGroup, I find that if I keep my focus on the holes on the target, smoke issue kinda disappears. :D
Since you are loading at max load data, how about trying lower charges to see if there is less gas cutting - may reduce the smoking/leading (You got nothing to lose).

180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Clays 1.125" OAL Start 3.0 gr 727 fps Max 3.5 gr 847 fps

Also for your daughter, if/when you get a chance, try the 180 gr 40 S&W TCFP with 3.8 gr of W231/HP38/Green Dot at 1.125" OAL. It is a very pleasant, soft recoiling load (lighter than 9mm) with extreme accuracy. I consistently get quarter sized shot groups at 7-10 yards and my wife/daughter love to shoot the load.
180 GR. HDY XTP Winchester 231/HP38 1.125" OAL Start 4.1 gr 797 fps Max 5.0 gr 947 fps

Walkalong
May 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
I find that if I keep my focus on the holes on the target, smoke issue kinda disappears.With enough focus, the noise, recoil, smoke, etc, just go away. Sort of like hitting or pitching, you must clear your mind and focus 100% on what you are doing. Ever see "For love of the game" when Costner "clears the mechanism"? It isn't just a gimmick, it can be done.

5thSFGroup
May 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
I am using a MBC round in the Kimber. The smoke issue was not a problem on firing. It was just a noticed incident that my daughter commented on and was observed when she fired under a protected area. When she is out in the open it is not noticeable to her.

I think I have a fair working knowledge of focus.

So far, I have been satisfied with the Clays. It is very clean and takes less powder than some of the others. I will hold the load at 3.5 or below though. Thanks for the info. The downloaded info I received just showed 3.5. It did not discuss min and max...wish it had.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 Caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!