Alittle Help from the Sig Fans

PDA

Joshua M.
May 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
I am seriously considering a P238, for my next purchase, I was wandering what you owners thought of them, and also Sig in general, as I have never owned a Sig before. Thanks...-Joshua

If you enjoyed reading about "Alittle Help from the Sig Fans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cwbjaxfl
May 22, 2010, 09:05 PM
my wife said she loves her rainbow p238. she really likes the nite sights. and there is very little recoil with the p238. she said she really likes it more then her beretta tomcat she had.

swiftak
May 22, 2010, 09:06 PM
I personally think Sigs are great guns. I own 2 at the moment. A P245 and a P238. They both are very reliable and always fire without a hitch. I've had the 245, .45 auto for several years and it fires factory ammo and my reloads equally well. The 238 I've owned for several months and it also fires reloads and factory ammo equally well. I like the 238 as I can carry it in my pocket. Also the recoil with the .380 seems alot better than in my PPK. I think the 238 is a good gun, but it is tiny.

proscene
May 22, 2010, 11:28 PM
Just got it last week with a Galco deep cover IWB holster. I put 100 rounds thru it yesterday with not FTF's or FTE's at all. Gun shoots a bit high and the trigger is bit tought but overall, it's a sweet (but expensive) CCW. Before this gun I had a Taurus TCP738 which was a really nice piece for the price (half the price-DAO). Good luck!

DAVIDTWATSON
May 22, 2010, 11:40 PM
I also have 2 Sigs, both 239's. My first is in .40 with a .357 Sig barrel as well. The 2nd is a 9mm Tactical in 9mm. The tactical as well as the .40/.357 both shoot very accurately, anything I can feed them with zero failures. Proscene is right, they are on the expensive side, but if it's for your protection and you plan to carry it, what's your life worth to you?? I think no matter which Sig you buy, you'll be happy with it. The .357 Sig round is quite hot to shoot, but it's a blast once you get used to it. Good luck!

IMTHDUKE
May 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
I have a P230, P220, P239.....Equal with any HK and I like the HKs a lot.

Highcaliber
May 23, 2010, 12:08 AM
P238 is a nice little .380 I believe it's basically a Colt "Mustang" Design with a slight change in the slide from Sig to avoid Patent issues.

Some of the early models had mag related problems, but Sig fixed those issues. I'm not a fan of the anemic .380 caliber as there have been many cases of direct hits / no stops on the street with various .380 rounds. I would probably only use the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds in this caliber firearm.
Your mileage may vary.;)

Rexster
May 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
SIG's "classic" pistols are really great weapons. I use P229 pistols for police duty and most personal-time carry. The P238 would be a nice little fun gun/collectible, like the Mustang before it, but I would not carry one for defensive purposes. I owned a couple of Mustangs.

The most highly respected SIG gunsmith (independent of SIG Sauer) has stated publicly, on another forum, what he thinks of the P238. I agree with him. (Bruce Gray) I will not import drama from another forum; the information is not difficult to find.

I may buy a P238, eventually, as a fun gun.

CPshooter
May 23, 2010, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't mind a nice .380 myself as a "fun gun." I have my LCP right now, which definitely does a great job as my only pocket gun, but it's too expensive to feed. The price and scarcity of .380 ammo is why I won't invest in a nicer .380 pistol, even though I really want one.

As for Sig..

I have owned two Sigs. The first was a SP2022 .40 (all German version). I liked it a whole lot and decided to sell it so I could "upgrade" to the P229. The P229 is my only Sig at the moment and I absolutely love this gun. It is a CPO gun without the rail. I paid $530 shipped + $25 to my FFL for the transfer. It looked brand new when I received it and has been 100% reliable since round one. It is extremely accurate and reliable. Very well built and comfortable in the hand.

I don't think Sig's pistols are as well-engineered and thought out as H&K's, but they sure are nice shooting guns. I'm really happy with my P229, however I can't see myself buying another Sig any time soon due to the recent QC issues and money-saving shortcuts taken by Sig recently. I don't think they are the company they used to be, so I'd have a hard time spending top dollar for a newer production gun.

Just my 2 cents.

camper
May 23, 2010, 03:19 PM
I have a "mess" of Sigs, including the 232 and 238 and then on up to 45ACP. They are all great pistols and do what they are designed to do with no flaws. As for your specific question about the 238, I think it is a great every day concealed carry pistol, so much so that I have relegated my LCP and Khar P380 to almost full time safe duty unless I need a little less profile. It out-shoots the two previously mentioned 380s because it is SAO and extremely accurate. Rent one at a range and try it out. One additional comment, the thumb safety is stiff and I never have any concerns carrying it in my pocket in a proper pocket holster that properly covers the thumb safety.

gordy
May 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
You can't go wrong with a sig.

Jed Carter
May 23, 2010, 04:53 PM
SIG P239 .357SIG first SIG, then a P226 .40/.357, then a P229 .40 then a P232 two-tone bought at an auction. Some time went by then I found a used SIG 556 at Buds Guns in Paris KY in Nov 07, my Wilson Combat AR has rarely been out of the safe since. My last SIG came this year from Bud's in Paris again, a P238, black nitron with rosewood grips I have shot about 200 rounds of WWB and 30 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre through it with 2 FTE in the first 25 rounds (WWB). The 8# trigger is a little too stout for my taste but it is accurate for it's size. Recoil compared to the P232 is less but the P232 SA trigger is way better and my groupings reflected this. I have 6 SIGs all but the P238 have never had any type of malfunction ever. The P238 has had 2 but in the first 25 rounds, no malfunctions since, I have a lot more testing to do to pronounce it trustworthy. My wife loves it, and she hates recoil, has trouble with some of my pistols because she can't pull the slide, no problems with the P238. I would recommend it for a IWB or pocket carry, so far but I need to run a lot more rounds through it to see how it really performs. If I can I prefer the P239, or my CZ PCR, if I need a slightly smaller pistol then the P232, and for Summer I seem to like the P238 as of now. 6 SIGs and not one in 9mm hmmm maybe I need to...

Joshua M.
May 23, 2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone, I currently have a P3AT, but am gonna sell it off to justify "upgrading" to a P238...

SigP229R
May 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
I own a 229 in .40 and a P6 9mm and just bought a .357 sig barrel for the 229. I have owned the original 229 .40 now for nearly three years and can't praise it enough. Have had zero problems with it. Good luck and, if you do purchase the 238 I don't think you will regret it for a minute.

Joshua M.
May 28, 2010, 11:18 PM
Well I got my P238 HD today...and I love it...Thanks to all the comments, I think this is probably the best compact pistol I have ever shot...and accurate at 50+ ft:what:...unreal... love it, love it, love it,:D Now if I can just wait 4 more weeks for the Crossbreed...

If you enjoyed reading about "Alittle Help from the Sig Fans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!