SR9C so popular it's hard to get?

PDA

button
May 22, 2010, 07:58 PM
I just ordered the SR9C from a local gun store for a out the door price of $470 and was told that as soon as they receive the SR9C within a few days it is sold due to the high demand of this handgun! They had the one with the brushed stainless and I wanted the black, so they put in call to there supplier and put one on backorder for me! Just wanted to know if anyone has heard this before and if the price I paid is reasonable? The other stores in the area who have the reputation of cheap prices were selling it at the MSRP of $525 and was just wondering if this gun is in such demand why did I get lower than the other (so called) cheap selling stores? Lay it on me, and let me know what ya'll think!!

If you enjoyed reading about "SR9C so popular it's hard to get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
19-3Ben
May 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
My local store has them for $389.

Full Metal Jacket
May 22, 2010, 09:23 PM
spend a little more and get a glock.

proscene
May 22, 2010, 10:09 PM
Full Metal Jacket
said . . . .
"spend a little more and get a glock"

I have both and the Sr9c is right up there with the Glock. Shoots good, looks / feel better and so far, just as dependable. I got mine at Bass Pro. They had several in stock.

David E
May 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
Is the trigger any better on the SR9-C than it is on the full size?

I sure hope so !

Full Metal Jacket
May 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
I have both and the Sr9c is right up there with the Glock. Shoots good, looks / feel better and so far, just as dependable. I got mine at Bass Pro. They had several in stock.

:eek:

i've fired them, and have to strongly disagree.

Newton
May 23, 2010, 01:36 AM
Glock 26, forget the Ruger.

19-3Ben
May 23, 2010, 04:21 AM
Never fired the SR9 but have handled a few. Based on fit/finish/trigger/etc... I'd say they are on par with Glock, M&P, XD, FN, and the other similar pistols out there.

Mike J
May 23, 2010, 09:31 AM
They are listed for 389.95 here http://www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm
I saw them at buds for under 400 dollars shipped last week but I looked after seeing this thread last night & they are out of stock now. Every one I have seen in a shop around here is around 450. I don't know why I'm even keeping up with prices I'm not in a position to buy anything right now.

kokapelli
May 23, 2010, 05:21 PM
If you like the Sr9c buy it. It's every bit as good as the Glock and it's made in the US.

button
May 23, 2010, 07:41 PM
I ordered it in Black and I'm just waiting for it to arrive! I looked locally at Shoot straight and I was told they was the cheapest place to go! They wanted the MSRP of $525. I see some members on this thread are recommending the Glock instead of the Ruger SR9C. I saw that some said they shot both and said they are the same and some said they are not! Is this due to personal preference or facts! I read in Aprils (I think) Guns and Ammo were the SR9C was featured and had a full test done on it and it passed with flying colors including the 4 degree weather test and the results from 15000 rounds being shot through the SR9C and only one malfunction that was based on the heavy leather gloves one of the volunteers wore to help with the heat from all the shooting they did with it! It impressed me, how does the Glock stand up to these kinds on tests? Also the article stated that you can shot the +P and +P+ loads in this gun with no problems.

Mike J
May 23, 2010, 11:30 PM
If you go to www.rugerforum.com & use the search function you will find a lot of threads about this gun.

Tacbandit
May 23, 2010, 11:38 PM
Quote: (By button)
"It impressed me, how does the Glock stand up to these kinds on tests?"

You're kidding, right?

alienbogey
May 24, 2010, 01:50 AM
Now you've gone and roused the glockaholics. :banghead:

SR9c's are fine weapons. So are Glocks. Get what fits and works best for you.

IBTL.

Full Metal Jacket
May 24, 2010, 05:23 AM
Now you've gone and roused the glockaholics.

glock's put out crappers, just like any other manufacturer, but there's no denying their quality.

Sapper771
May 24, 2010, 05:33 AM
No problems getting SR9's or SR9c's in my area. The SR9c usually is around $400 or a little more. The trigger in the SR9c has been inproved, but only slightly.
The improvement still wasn't enough to motivate me to get one.

button
May 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
Now to all the glockaholics out there, No disrespect meant! I am sure the Glock is a fine weapon, I just have not heard any facts to back it up! This is my first semi auto, I usually stick with Old West style revolvers. I decided to invest in something that my wife could handle in a pinch and not having to pay $35 for 50 rounds of .45 colt! For the cost and reviews, I found on the SR9C to be a good choice! Was the 4 degree test done on the Glock and also the 15,000 rounds test done as per Guns and Ammo (April issue) and if so, what were the results? I am sure it was close I just want to know (if any) were there any malfunctions? :evil:

BP Hunter
May 24, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yes, the SR9c are difficult to find. I was lucky to find a near brand new SR9c in black last week. I traded it in my Taurus PT145 for it. I haven't been happier.

button
May 24, 2010, 09:44 PM
I had to order mine and now just waiting for the call to pick it up! Black was the one I wanted but as i said earlier all they had was the polished stainless. Tired of just taking what they have and plan to wait for this one! Playing with the idea of light or laser sight for the front rail. Not sure what I want yet. BP I am jealous, but not for long!!!! :)

atblis
May 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe Ruger's getting proactive and recalling them before actually shipping them. :neener: just kidding (sorta).

I'd wager it's not really a demand issue, but more of a supply issue.

Tacbandit
May 25, 2010, 01:29 AM
Hey, button...here you go...
www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90
Try these tests with the other major players (pick one) out there...he did :eek:

This is just one example (gun), by one individual. There have been many, many tests done. Not a tougher gun out there, or more dependable, IMO. They're not for everyone, but apparently a few people like them, to include many police dept.'s, some federal agencies, and one or two civilians... lol :) I don't keep up with all that anymore, as I am well pleased with mine... every one that I've ever bought...Not sure that any other handgun has been so abused in it's testing... You have to be happy with what you shoot and you seem pretty excited about the SR9C. Hope it works out for you. Good luck, ;)
Tac

button
May 25, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mike J thanks for the address. Pretty good look foward to reading all the threads! Thanks.

button
May 25, 2010, 06:12 PM
Tacbandit, Thanks that is what I was looking for! I am pretty excited about the SR9c but that does not mean it's the best one out there! Glad to get some more info on other guns. Just incase I need to purchase one for myself! :) (Plan on it, why let the wife have all the fun!:p)

NG VI
May 25, 2010, 06:13 PM
For the cost and reviews, I found on the SR9C to be a good choice! Was the 4 degree test done on the Glock and also the 15,000 rounds test done as per Guns and Ammo (April issue) and if so, what were the results? I am sure it was close I just want to know (if any) were there any malfunctions?

There's a 17 kicking around somewhere with about a quarter million trouble-free rounds through it, though it has had regular maintenance like springs replaced at whatever rate is necessary, I think it might be Chuck Hawks or someone with a similiar name who is running it.

button
May 25, 2010, 06:15 PM
atblis, you could be correct! I heard and seen companies hold back inventory in order to create a shortage so they can get high dollar for something!

Jed Carter
May 25, 2010, 06:36 PM
Can't ship product if it fails QC. Love Ruger revolvers, semi-auto pistols not so much. Auto loaders are either great or not worth the trouble. I would wait until at least 10,000 in the field, I'm not a beta tester. CZ PCR would be and is my choice for compact 9mm. Compacts have a tendency to be less reliable than their fullsize predecessors. PCR, G19 truly the cream of the crop in compacts and less than $470.

NG VI
May 25, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'd add the FNP-9M to that, but they are kind of hard to find.

Tacbandit
May 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
button...saw this and thought you might be interested...good for this month, I believe...
www.galleryofguns.com/about/GGGEntry.aspx
Tac

Thingster
May 26, 2010, 01:32 AM
SR9 is a good gun, but you're getting royally, ahem, screwed, yeah-that's the word, on the price. if they want that much more for the -c, get the plain sr9.

wow6599
May 26, 2010, 09:16 AM
Ruger probably made about 20 of them to give the impression that they are flying off the shelves. I like Ruger products, just not the SR9. Give me a M&Pc or Glock.

Mightee1
May 26, 2010, 10:02 AM
I was browsing the gun store (Gander Mountain) yesterday and saw both the SR9 and the SR9c side by side. The compact was actually cheaper than the full sized by about $75 ($400 and $475 respectively). That was surprising to see. I have heard the trigger on the c was an improvement on the old SR9, but all the new ones (SR9 and SR9c) have the improved trigger. Seriously considered buying it right then and there but the wife would not have been too happy about that.

I personally liked the SR9c over the full sized version. At least to me, the brushed stainless slide looks good. Everything I have heard about it is positive other than the glockheads saying it’s not a Glock. I’ve looked at Glocks and am not a fan... not to say that I would never own one, but money is tight and I would rather spend it on a gun that looks good.

Kingofthehill
May 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
I have heard the trigger on the c was an improvement on the old SR9

Truth. I have the older SR9 and the new SR9c. The C has a shockingly great trigger!..

Glad to hear the trigger system will make its way into the full size. I'll sell my SR9 to get a new one with the better trigger soon.

JOe

docpadds
May 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
I got an SR9c on the instructor discount program, ordered direct from Ruger and it was here a week later. I love it, carry it every day now that i have broken it in with a few hundred rounds and a good cleaning to remove the packing grease (seems like it) they use.

Its easily the most accurate compact i have, i sold my XD9sc because i wasnt carrying it. No plans to sell my Glock though, different gun with a different style :)

owsi26
May 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
I called yesterday and they (my primary gun store) had one in stock. Same problem, it is stainless and I wanted black. They are holding it for me to look at tomorrow. The owner just told me that another customer wanted a black one. He has found one, that he will order for me instead. But he said it
may go fast. I think I need to go now!

I haven't had eyes on the stainless, just photos. I usually go for black as it will be less obvious. I hope I don't like the stainless!

These guns must be selling like crazy since he has only found one black. I can't recall what I was told, it was either $489 or $439. I think retail is $525. I should get a lower price from the owner. I've bought about 15 to 20 firearms from him, so I better get a good price.

owsi26
May 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
The trigger is better on the compact according to an article I just read.

Fastcast
May 26, 2010, 12:05 PM
Arrrrrrrrg......Does every thread have to be "get a Glock instead"?.....Usually within 5 post, no doubt. :banghead:

Buy Kraft macaroni & cheese instead!....It's better. :neener:

Maybe I should start visiting every Glock thread and say "get a Hi-Point" instead. :)

Tacbandit
May 26, 2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
"Maybe I should start visiting every Glock thread and say "get a Hi-Point" instead."

Sure, why not...??? that's believable... lol

kokapelli
May 26, 2010, 07:31 PM
Arrrrrrrrg......Does every thread have to be "get a Glock instead"?.....Usually within 5 post, no doubt. :banghead:

Buy Kraft macaroni & cheese instead!....It's better. :neener:

Maybe I should start visiting every Glock thread and say "get a Hi-Point" instead. :)
I understand what your saying but wouldn't go as far as recommending a Hi point.:)

Wolvee
May 26, 2010, 07:50 PM
I love my full size SR9. The trigger is a little stiff but very crisp and almost no take up. The Compact is supposed to have a better trigger, front serrations, angled front sight tips for a no snag drawl and if you get it in black it has a better costing on the slide. (I haven't had any issue with my black coating.)

I know it's not the Compact but here's my Full size.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02798.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02799.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02800.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02801.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02803.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02804.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02806.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02807.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02811.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02805.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02809.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02810.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02812.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02813.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02819.jpg

Wolvee
May 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02822.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02823.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/wolvee123/My%20Guns/DSC02824.jpg

Fastcast
May 26, 2010, 08:54 PM
I understand what your saying but wouldn't go as far as recommending a Hi point.:)

Well, me neither, really. ;)

button
May 27, 2010, 09:03 PM
Well good news, I went to my gun store today (just showed up to check up on the status after having stitches removed from some minor surgery from last Friday) and was told I had great timing because he just located a black one and is having it shipped as we speak! Should be in (due to Memorial day) on Tuesday! Hey, I had to get something for the pain I went through! :) Well that's what I told my wife! (For the Glockaholics out there, so you know there may be hope for me still!) I was also looking at a Glock 20c while I was there and I am considering it as a future purchase! The gun store wants $700 out the door and has one in stock. Thinking about it, but the price is still a bit high for me! You see there is always hope!:) Actually I was checking on the Glock for a buddy, but was still interested! I admit not as good looking as the Ruger but from some posts in this thread from Tacbandit, the Glock is impressive as well! I will keep posted on status once gun is in hand and pics are taken! (for those who care or just courious) :) Also looking into a rail light for the SR9c, the store has one that fit's the small rail on the c for $135, guess I will keep looking and see what is out there!

button
May 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
Tacbandit, thanks again for more informative web sites and the site for the gun giveaway! Hope this site is not a bogus site to steal personal info! Took the chance anyway!!! Thanks again! :)

Avenger29
May 27, 2010, 09:35 PM
I was also looking at a Glock 20c while I was there and I am considering it as a future purchase! The gun store wants $700 out the door and has one in stock. Thinking about it, but the price is still a bit high for me!

You're getting bent over on that price for a Glock 20...even the compensated models.

I used to shop at a gunstore like yours. Notice the "used" part...until I wised up and realized that being raped was not part of supporting your local dealers...

button
May 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
"You're getting bent over on that price for a Glock 20...even the compensated models"

Ok, I said I was considering the gun and not the price!! As I stated I said it was a little bit high for me! I did not say I was buying. A friend of mine wanted to know what there price was and so I got the price! I said considering the Glock 20c (NOT THE PRICE):mad: I live near Brandon Florida where the price in this area is higher and the surrounding areas are running the same! Driving 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours each way to get a lower price is not a option! There vented and calming thoughts! I can now continue with this web sites rules and regulations. Yes the $470 price (out the door) is high but other competitors in my area are selling at msrp of $525. I have yet to see a $400 price tag or anything close to it. Congrads to all of ya'll who have great prices and whish i was able to benefit on ya'lls good luck! I have said too much on this. Later!!!!

Mike J
May 27, 2010, 11:59 PM
Tacbandit, thanks again for more informative web sites and the site for the gun giveaway! Hope this site is not a bogus site to steal personal info! Took the chance anyway!!! Thanks again!
That is Davidson's site. They are a reputable distributor.

proscene
May 28, 2010, 12:02 AM
The Sr9c that I have has as good a trigger as my Glock. It is a much different trigger than the SR9 full size. I prefer the SR9c to the Glock overal by a slim margin. But again it's purely subjective

owsi26
May 28, 2010, 04:35 AM
I bought one today! I wanted a solid black one, but they had one with a stainless steel slide. It would take one day to get a black one in, but I decided to drop by and look at the stainless. It is one handsome pistol!

My only complaint is the polymer magazine extension does't come close to matching the grip; It is much lighter in color. How hard would it be to use the same molten polymer to make the grip and extension? Perhaps they out-sourced it. Not really a problem for me as I will carry the 17 magazines as back-up, but it is something that could have been easily fixed.

But, I love it!

owsi26
May 28, 2010, 04:36 AM
I forgot that you asked about the price. I got mine for $429.

owsi26
May 28, 2010, 04:46 AM
I just remembered something. I was told the price was $389 over the phone yesterday, I wasn't paying attention. The owner will get a call in the morning for a refund. Kinda upset now as I've bought 15 - 20 firearms there.

REAPER4206969
May 28, 2010, 06:13 AM
I am sure the Glock is a fine weapon, I just have not heard any facts to back it up!
100,000-Round 9mm Torture Test

By Chuck Taylor

On four occasions since 1990, I've written articles about a continuing evaluation I've been conducting to ascertain the longevity of the Glock Model 17 9mm pistol. The first of these, appearing in the February, 1993, issue of Combat Handguns, contained my findings as to the weapon's performance and durability after 33,000 rounds fired. At this juncture, I stated:

"I carried it in the rain, snow, dust and mud. I carried it when the temperatures were over 100 degrees and when they were 40 below.

"I presented the gun more than 10,000 times from it's plastic slide holster, speed loaded it 2,000 times, performed over 5,000 tactical loads, shot it weak-handed in excess of 2,500 times and field-stripped it 250 times.

"From the beginning, I resolved to grind it into the dirt, abuse it like no gun I ever had."

"Why? To find out the truth about Glocks, for once and for all...

"And I succeeded in doing just that. In a 30-month period, I fired 33,000 rounds, all factory loads, of every imaginable type made末 and it ate them all, almost without a single malfunction. I say 'almost' because on the 32,994th round, I finally had one末 a failure to feed! And this in spite of the fact that I cleaned the gun every 10,000 rounds whether it need it or not!

"100 rounds short of the 5,000th shot, both factory-provided magazines ceased to hold the slide open after the last shot, although they both continued to function normally otherwise. At round number 11,000 a second set did the same and was replaced by another.

"By the 500th holster presentation, the left side of the front site was so badly worn that a proper site picture was no longer possible. It was subsequently replaced with a steel version.

"By round number 16,000, I could see steel through the finish末 but it never did rust, although it was exposed repeatedly to rain, snow, perspiration and even blood.

"The trigger pull, originally 5.5 pounds, got smoother and a bit lighter, but it never did double or demonstrate a glitch of any kind.

"And after all this, it still shoots into 3 inches at 25 meters, not much different than when it was new."

Impressed, to say the least, I was still determined to see the test though to the point where the gun failed. So, although the piece had passed the 33,000-round mark without significant negative results or breakage, I continued the test.

The months went by and the test continued. By the end of the summer, 1993, the gun had shot 50,000 rounds without a hitch. Among my additional observations published in Glock Auto pistols 1995, were these:

"And now, after 50,000 rounds, nothing has really changed. It still:

"Functions reliably. In fact, not a single additional stoppage has occurred.

"Prints inside the 9-ring of a 25-meter pistol target, exactly as it did when it was new.

"Shows no additional finish wear.

"Exhibits no bore corrosion.

"Clearly, the Glock M-17 is a heck of a pistol and, as a survival instrument, is well worthy of our consideration. It is well-designed, well-made and capable of surviving a wide variety of environmental conditions. It will feed the entire spectrum of bullet shapes and functions reliably with virtually all power levels of 9mm ammunition. In addition, it resists corrosion magnificently and its design causes minimal wear on working parts, giving it an unbelievable long service life.

"Ugly? Maybe, maybe not! It depends on what's important to you末 cosmetics, or function. Regardless, it's my opinion that the Glock 17 is not only a winner, but may well be the world's best 9mm pistol. Obviously, only time will tell, but in the meantime, I've got 25,000 more rounds of 9mm ammunition to run through it to find out."

25,000 more

And the test continued. By February, 1995, the 25,000 rounds were expended, bringing the total to an unbelievable 75,000! Yet, the gun was still going strong, showing no indications whatsoever of impending failure. I replaced nothing末 no springs, firing pins, connectors or any other parts. In fact, viewed from the broad perspective, the gun had actually outlived it's magazines末 six two-mag sets at that point.

Truthfully, I had run out of things to do to the gun. Short of running over it with a car or freezing it into a solid block of ice末 both which I regarded as silly, since they fail to mirror real-world conditions and therefore prove nothing末 I had repeatedly exposed the gun to everything. In the July, 1995, issue of Combat Handguns and Summer, 1995, issue of Glockster, I said:

"After more than 70,000 holster presentations, I can detect no additional finish wear from that which appeared by 20,000 presentations.

"The bore is still without corrosion or excessive wear; the piece still shoots inside the 9-ring of a 25-meter pistol target, using the offhand Weaver Stance. In fact, to determine if any deterioration of intrinsic accuracy had occurred, I fired it from 35 meters in a Ransom Rest末 the worst groups were 2 inches!

"As an example of its practical accuracy capability, I offer the following. With the test gun, I was able to perform the following:

1. "Reliably get center-hits on a 18 x 30-inch steel silhouette target at 75 meters, knocking down five such silhouettes in under ten seconds.
2. "Take a whitetail deer with a single shot behind the shoulder at a laser-measured 70 meters.

3. "Successfully pass the ASAA Handgun Combat Master test with it, presenting it from concealed carry, shooting a score of at least 383 out of a possible 400."

My other observations at that time included:

"Internal parts exhibited no real wear or deterioration.

"The polycarbonate frame, though it had at one spot worn smooth from holster contact, appeared intact and without discernible deterioration.

"After more than 50,000 speed loads and an equal number of tactical loads, the magazine well was scarred somewhat but still serviceable.

"While the 56,103rd round blew a primer, the gun was undamaged. The resulting stoppage, a Type 3 (Feedway) was quickly cleared and the weapon returned to service.

"The trigger remained at 5.1 pounds, a reduction from it's original poundage of only 0.4 pounds. It was still smooth and had a crisp let-off.

"It was discovered that magazine service life could be dramatically increased by loading only 15, rather than the rated 17, rounds of ammunition. If a 'Plus-Two' floorplate is utilized, then末 and only then末 should a full 17 rounds be loaded. This prevents the follower spring from being fully compressed, thus causing it to soften and finally 'set', as the expression goes.

"The Trijicon (tritium) sights installed early in the test were still completely serviceable."

It looked like the test was over. The pistol had survived an incredible 75,000 rounds and was completely intact. I had my desired data-base末 the Glock M-17 was irrefutably a terrific pistol. In fact, I was so impressed that I concluded my article in Combat Handguns with this statement:

"Pretty, it ain't, especially after all it's been through. On the other hand, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder, and to me, the Glock is a tool, not an objet d'art. This being the case, we must view it differently末 function, not aesthetics, is the prime criteria. Viewed from this perspective, there can be no doubt that the Glock M-17 looks mighty good indeed."

Well, I just couldn't leave it alone. My curiosity about just how long the gun could survive continued to be intense. So, from my stores, I broke out an additional 25,000 rounds of assorted 9mm ammo and continued the test.

And now, the fall of 1995, after having fired a total of 100,000 rounds of virtually all kinds of ammunition...

Nothing has changed! The gun looks the same, feels the same, functions the same as it did before. I've done everything within reason to this gun. I've carried it all over the world, quite literally in every environmental condition known to man末 the steaming jungles of Latin America, the windblown deserts of the southwestern U.S., the 40-below zero tundra of Alaska in the winter.

And it worked末 every time. In fact, since I discovered that loading 15, rather than the rated 17, rounds into the magazine prevented the follower spring from softening, I haven't had a single malfunction. Both magazines used in this last 25,000 portion of my test remain strong and completely serviceable. And, by way of confirmation, I replaced the old springs in the magazines that failed during the test with new ones from Glock, and they, too, function perfectly.

I am especially impressed by the lack of apparent finish wear, even after over 100,000 holster presentations. The gun looks exactly as it did at 20,000! I've actually worn out several holsters, finally selecting the M-D Labs "Thunderbolt" (which I co designed with M-D honcho Kevin McClung) and matching mag carrier as the best. It's super-fast, yet secure and highly concealable, and being made of Kydex, it's by far the toughest rig now in existence.

The magazine well, although slightly scarred from in excess of 100,000 insertions, also remains entirely functional and looks much like it did in the early stages of the test.

Internal parts, too, look the same. I just can't find any discernible signs of deterioration. The piece shoots just as accurately as it did before and functions flawlessly.

So, in conclusion, the Model 17 9mm continues to defy wear, tear, corrosion and...well, me! I've thrown the whole book of tricks at this gun and yet, as this is written, it continues in service. Obviously, the Model 17 is a terrific handgun末 so terrific that I'd quite willingly bet my life on this one, even after all it's been through. What better recommendation can I give, eh?
He is over a quarter million rounds now.

REAPER4206969
May 28, 2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6i3dtytmBA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZxQfIBXDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3KuZFuW_0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJTi2TjR1UQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP4nBV76_mQ&feature=related

REAPER4206969
May 28, 2010, 06:32 AM
Was the 4 degree test done on the Glock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7UOC_rr0A

I've carried it all over the world, quite literally in every environmental condition known to man末 the steaming jungles of Latin America, the windblown deserts of the southwestern U.S., the 40-below zero tundra of Alaska in the winter.

Hangingrock
May 28, 2010, 09:04 AM
Button, advice from the multitudes cost nothing and the advice given is usually worth the same. Individuals are biased by their perceptions, comprehension, expectations, experiences, favoritism and validation of standing.

Being an adult the decision/selection of purchase of the weapon type is yours.

One other item, my advice cost you nothing and is worth the same. :what:;)

button
May 28, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hangingrock, I believe what you said and try to live it every day! I just had a bad day and took the comment that Avenger29 posted to personal. My appologies to all for being human and letting anger take control! I know I am better than that and after reading this site again I regret some of the words! Thanks again for being a voice of reason! :)

REAPER4206969
May 28, 2010, 10:33 PM
Individuals are biased by their perceptions, comprehension, expectations, experiences, favoritism and validation of standing.

Let the record show I'm a big Ruger fan.

button
May 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
Avenger29, I appologize for taking your comment the wrong way and ask forgiveness! Thank you for your opinion on this thread and and I agree the cost is way too high and plan to expand my research in the future and at least travel an hour each way (at the most) in order to find the best price! I was looking for a local dealer so the expense of travel would not play into the cost. Thanks again.

button
May 28, 2010, 10:54 PM
Reaper4206969, great info, this to is what I was looking for! Keep it comming! I may own a Glock one day. Who knows! :)

button
June 1, 2010, 09:05 PM
FINALLY, IT ARRIVED!!!!!!!! :) I am glad I waited and not compramised and took the stainless! Now just need to find extra mags for the SR9 (I think I would rather have the SR9 mags for the reload than the 10 round clip, just need to find a good and cheap place!) Any suggestions? YEAH, can not wait until the weekend!!!!!

MAKster
June 2, 2010, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know why the full sized model with the black finish uses a stainless steel slide, while the compact model uses a carbon steel slide on black model?

stickhauler
June 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
Why does every thread about (insert manufacturer here) turn into a worship the Glock thread? The SR9-C must not be that hard to find, my favorite gun shop has them on sale this month (either shiny slide or black) for $429.99. I bought one Friday, took it to the range Sunday. It's a well made pistol, functions properly, and actually feels natural in my hand anyway. I own a Glock 22, and use it for my carry gun at times, this Ruger will go into the rotation of my carry guns. I've got the night sights coming from Ruger, I want to see how well I can get a quick sight picture with them.

As for cheaper magazine options, I haven't seen any made by other mag makers yet. But on mine, the bottom of the mag plastic pieces match the rest of the grip.

I'd advise anyone to pick up one of these pistols, good shooters!

button
June 2, 2010, 09:08 PM
I got an address from a friend that recommended the CDNNIvestment.com site so I looked it up and found a special deal. ruger sr9 9mm 17 rd mag. new factory $29.99 buy 2 get 1 free universal mag pouch. (Limited time only) Let me know what ya'll think about this, since this was the first price I found dealing with sr9 mags.

Runningman
June 5, 2010, 01:04 PM
Picked up a SR9c this week paid $419 + tax. Figured for the price and features it would be worth a try.

Checked the trigger as soon as I got home it measured 4 LB 14 OZ right out of the box. Better trigger than many polymer framed I've checked over the years. My dealer did say the SR9c are hard to get right now.

Like the versatility of the 10 round magazine and 17 round magazine with slip on grip extension included.

The elevation adjustable steel rear sight get bonus points in my book since more than a few 9mm I've owned over the years shoot low for me. Hopefully I will get out in the next couple weeks to try it out.

button
June 10, 2010, 10:06 PM
I was able to take it out for a few minutes on Sunday and shot about 26 rounds in the front yard. Nothing to post about but it was Nice experience!! I only had about 20 minutes of free time, due to a 3 year old that was being ocupied by mom, so snuck outside and let it rip! (into the ground, of course!) I left the pinky extension off to see how it would feel to shoot if i decided to carry in my pocket! Surprisingly enough it felt good in hand and handled great! So i decided to make a SOB (small of back) holster since the SR9c was getting cought in my pocket! (test model so have to dye black and cover the marks made to determine what i like the best) Once dyed I will post on this thread. So far the best site I found was the CDNNinvestments.com for the $29.99 price for a SR9 16 round magazine to have as an extra mag, not sure about having an extra 10 round mag for the reload!

stickhauler
June 11, 2010, 06:11 PM
The only source I've found for the 10 round magazines is through Ruger, and they sell the "pinkie" mag bottom separately. I ordered one through them, as I like this pistol well enough it's likely going to replace my XD for a carry gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "SR9C so popular it's hard to get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!