What can you tell me about....

PDA

LightningMan
May 22, 2010, 09:33 PM
The 5, 9mm rounds I picked up at a gun show today? The head stamp is as such;( 51 bxn - + 7 ) They are steel cased & have a steel jacket, as I checked with a magnet. My best guess is that it is German military, mfg. in 1951. Anybody know? BTW if this needs to be moved to reloading feel free, I felt this was the most watched handgun section so that is why I posted it here. Thanks in advance, LM.

If you enjoyed reading about "What can you tell me about...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Full Metal Jacket
May 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
you should avoid buying ammo of unknown origin at gunshows.

David E
May 22, 2010, 11:19 PM
The jacket isn't steel, the core is.....or at least, you better hope that's the case!

LightningMan
May 23, 2010, 12:12 AM
First I don't plan on shooting it & its for my cartridge collection and I do believe it has either a steel core or jacket as the magnet sticks to the nose of the bullet. I thought someone may know by the head stamp. LM

bobelk99
May 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
bxn = Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia, Factory in Zbrojovka Vląsim,

Nushif
May 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
Sellier & Bellot is good stuff. I am halfway through a brick of it and haven't had a misfire yet.

rondog
May 23, 2010, 04:10 PM
There's lots of military ammo out there with soft steel jacketed bullets with a copper plating over the steel and a lead core. Nothing wrong with it, won't hurt your rifling. A lot of supervised ranges won't allow it though.

If you enjoyed reading about "What can you tell me about...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!