primers

PDA

kestak
May 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
Greeting,

I need advice. I load tac in 223 with SRM or sr 223 wolf primers.

I am about to load 30-06 with big game and 308 with tac. The manual says LR primers. My problem is that I have not any LR but I have 20k LRM.

If I use those, will it suffer accuracy degradation? Will it be safe to go with the minimum+ 1 gains per the manual?

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rokman
May 23, 2010, 05:41 PM
I load lots of TAC in .223 with just regular sr primers and my loads are fine. If I had srm primers I would give them a try. Nosler and Sierra manuals do not mention magnum primers for those powders in any of the calibers that you mentioned. Speer mentions magnum primers with their loads containing spherical powder. The .30-06 would probably need the magnum primers the most, since it is the largest charge. Good luck.

R.Clem
May 25, 2010, 01:42 AM
Most loads can be done with Std. or Mag. primers, the difference is in the strength of the primers ignition. I have, in the past used Mag. primers when I was out of Std., and found no negligible difference.
The use of Mag. primers is mostly for hard to light powder or those cartridges with very large powder columns.
You should load a few and try them to make sure they are going to do what you want, it may end up that you will need to work up a new load for the Mag. primer loads.

Ray

dakotasin
May 25, 2010, 07:47 AM
the ramshot powders are ball powders (no experience w/ tac) that don't need a mag primer to light 'em off. however, in my experience w/ ramshot, i got best results w/ mag primers. thus, i say load 'em up w/ mag primers.

ArchAngelCD
May 26, 2010, 01:19 AM
Years ago the manuals used to specify the use of magnum primers with ball powders, most no longer do. I've found ball powders shoot better when lit with the hotter primer. You might find you like magnum primers better with ball powders so give them a try. As long as you aren't bumping right up against the MAX recommended charge there's really no reason to drop the charge weight back. I've seen very little difference over the years when using a magnum primer in place of a standard primer.

SAUMHUNTER79
May 26, 2010, 02:39 PM
Magnum primers are fine to use as long as you start at minimum and work your way up, they will actually give you more consistent ignition with lower end powder charges from my experience.

ArchAngelCD
May 27, 2010, 12:35 AM
they will actually give you more consistent ignition with lower end powder charges from my experience.
That may be true but not with all powders or calibers. Some powder/caliber combinations will shoot worse when you use a magnum primer whereas others will shoot better. The only way to know is to try them...

243winxb
May 27, 2010, 07:28 AM
start at minimum and work your way up

kestak
June 1, 2010, 08:01 AM
Greetings,

Did the test yesterday with my friend CZ 30-06 VERY good looking Walnut stock, accurate and expensive rifle.

The loads:
54.5 grains of Big Game under a 150 grains bullet

CCI normal primer: Average 2 MOA
Federal Magnum primer Average 1.8 MOA
Federal commercial ammo Average 3 MOA :what:

We shot at 100 yards in groups of 5 rounds and we shot a total of 60 rounds.

Magnum or normal does not have a significant impact on precision. However, we thought we noticed the grouping was more in a circle with the magnums. With the normal primers, it was like 2 together and one away or roughly in a line...

We did not see any pressure signs, the recoil feeling was the same between the normal and magnum too.

Lastly, the POI was 98% the same with the normal and magnum. It looks like the magnum was shooting a tiny itsy betsy bit on the lower right....

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!