kimber tapered rifling

PDA

toolmaster
May 23, 2010, 11:38 PM
The first 8th inch or so of the rifling seems to be tapered - I don't think any of my other guns have this feature. Is this normal?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8m4WgUOB3u0/S_nmTgFqOQI/AAAAAAAABIs/Ku-Ga-7YhcQ/IMG_6489.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "kimber tapered rifling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
May 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
Do you mean the freebore and bevel on the lands (which are there to ease the bullet onto the rifling), or a change in width of the lands and grooves?

MrIzhevsk
May 23, 2010, 11:53 PM
sorry its not answering your question but do you have an electron microscope for a camera!? I feel like I can see the cells in your skin!

JohnKSa
May 23, 2010, 11:54 PM
Your other guns all probably have it too. All of mine that I've looked at closely do.

In fact, the reason it's so visible in the Kimber is because it looks like it's a less gradual taper than I'm used to seeing.

toolmaster
May 24, 2010, 12:04 AM
@Shear_stress- if I had to choose between your two options...I guess I'd say the freebore and bevel on the lands.

@MrIzhevsk - It's just an 8 year old digital SLR - and that photo isn't even close to full resolution!

@JohnKSa - that could be it. Kimber just didn't do a fantastic job of making that transition. Seems awful rough.

If you enjoyed reading about "kimber tapered rifling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!