Magna Porting a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

PDA

sta500rdr
May 24, 2010, 06:25 PM
I just got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06. I took it to the range the other day and it is brutal to shoot. I was shooting 150 Gr. Remington UMC factory ammunition and it was pretty serious. I have considered replacing the recoil pad with a limbsaver but was wondering if anyone had done anything different.

I am considering having the barrel Magna-Ported. It is supposed to reduce recoil significantly. I know a side effect is making it extremely loud to the shooter. Just curious what you guys thought. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Magna Porting a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
May 24, 2010, 06:29 PM
Since it was your first time out, did you just shoot from the bench to sight it in?

It's a lot more pleasant to shoot something like that in other positions. Bench shooting tends to be brutal.

A T3 Lite is sure not meant to be a benchrest rifle, anyway. It's meant to be carried in the field.

I don't know about Magna-Porting a rifle, but I have shot a .300 Wby Magnum with a muzzle brake, from a bipod on the bench. It was really pleasant, whereas a .300 Wby like that generally is downright ugly.

I'd consider having the barrel threaded. Then you can put a brake on it when it's appropriate, and take it off when you don't want the noise.

sta500rdr
May 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
I was bench shooting and I don't plan on doing an awful lot of bench shooting with this particular rifle in the future. Other than the occasional sight in here and there.

I like shooting larger calibers, but this one being so light is not as much fun and i am concerned about developing a flinch.

NCsmitty
May 24, 2010, 06:51 PM
If you reload, you can tailor some easier shooting rounds for it and if you don't reload, ammo like the managed recoil types from Remington and other brands might make your benchrest visits more tolerable.
There is no doubt that a limbsaver pad would make a difference.
I'm not so keen about muzzle brakes though.

NCsmitty

Uncle Mike
May 24, 2010, 09:16 PM
Porting in the way Magna Port is going to do it wont disolve much recoil, some, but I bet you wont notice it.

Why is the rifle whacking you in an unpleasant way, is what I would try to figure out instead of throwing money at it.

If your cheek weld is correct, and your scope is mounted correctly, all that rifle is going to do is 'PUSH' your upper body/shoulder back some, instead of 'punching' you, the rifle should never be allowed to get a 'run' at your shoulder.

The 30-06 round shouldn't be making naughty with your shoulder, Tikka Lite or not, unless you are allowing it to!

dougwx12
May 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
Limbsavers are great for Tikkas. All of mine have them (.270, '06, and .300.) And I second all the advice about bench versus field.

Do your ears a favor and skip the brake.

ArmedBear
May 24, 2010, 10:09 PM
If your cheek weld is correct, and your scope is mounted correctly, all that rifle is going to do is 'PUSH' your upper body/shoulder back some, instead of 'punching' you, the rifle should never be allowed to get a 'run' at your shoulder.

True, but it's hard to get a good position on the bench. I'd do some other positions before paying to have anyone screw with the gun. If I DID have a brake, though, I'd want to be able to remove it at will, not have the barrel drilled.

Uncle Mike
May 24, 2010, 11:49 PM
KDF will install a brake for you, you'll be able to remove it at will, and install a muzzle cap.

Brakes are good for fitties and such, but a 30-06.....

sta500rdr
May 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
I went out again last night to put a few more rounds through this rifle. It was about twenty degrees cooler than on Saturday and I was in the shade. The first round was quite pleasant actually. I shot it from a standing position. Managable recoil, and no fireball. I am wondering if high temps (90 degrees F) played a role in my brutal ammunition during my first trip to the range.

I think at this point, a limbsaver will be my first mod to this rifle. I will shoot it like that for a while and see how she drives. Thanks for all of the input.

Geno
May 25, 2010, 03:35 PM
For what you want, the Mag-Na-Brake is the better option than Mag-Na-Port. The Mag-Na-Port will keep the muzzle dead-flat, even on a .338 Win Mag! But it only reduced perceived recoil by about 15%.

My desire for the Mag-Na-Port is that I don't have to worry about damaged threads, and the muzzle stays dead-flat-on-target. I want to see the impact or the miss. Even at 14X, with my former .300 Wea Mag, I didn't lose sight of my target.

If you want perceived recoil reduction, check out Williams' GunSight Guide Series Brake

(bottom of page): http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsmith_service_michigan.htm

Caliber: 30/06

Rifle weight: 8 Lbs

Perceived recoil (no brake): 24 Lbs

Grain bullet: 200

Perceived recoil with brake: 243 Win.

Ft Pounds perceived recoil w/ brake: 7

Geno

usmc1371
May 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
The limb saver will help, my friend put one on his tikka 300 wsm and it is much nicer now. He is not a huge fan of recoil. As far as the brake I fully believe some rifles need them, case in point my little bro hunts with a weatherby 338-378 and thank got it has the factory brake. I shot it with out the brake.. twice, once just to see how much the brake helped and one more time to make sure the scope smacked me in the face. The brake works and with out it the 338-378 would be unshootable IMHO. I started shooting 30-06 when I was 11 and probably 90 pounds it used to beat me up so the old man loaded me some light loads and didn't let me shoot off the bench. If you brake your 06 with a good brake I am sure it will be about like shooting a 243 and if you can take it off you will never notice the recoil when bambi is in front of you.

Maverick223
May 25, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'd try anything else before deciding to add a brake of any sort. The stock fit is a good place to start (may have to find a suitable/ergonomic replacement), then add a better recoil pad, modify the loads (if possible/applicable), and add weight to the stock if you must. I don't use loudeners on my rifles.

:)

cerberus65
May 25, 2010, 04:36 PM
I shot my Tikka .30-06 twice in its stock configuration. I immediately went looking for a limbsaver. Once I put that on I took it to the range again and was much happier. Limbsaver made a believer out of me. I'd go that route first. It's cheaper and reversible. Porting is more expensive and not reversible.

hoghunting
May 26, 2010, 01:45 AM
You might also try sitting upright at the bench instead of leaning forward. If you are bent forward and leaning into the rifle, your upper body won't flex as much as sitting upright, and recoil will slam you much harder. That's why the recoil wasn't bad in the standing position.

Maverick223
May 26, 2010, 01:54 AM
Actually I have found that slightly leaning into it while firing offhand tends to lessen recoil. The same is not true when firing from the bench.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Magna Porting a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!