Reloading .308Win in a Lee Pro 1000....

PDA

arizona_cards_11
May 24, 2010, 09:04 PM
I believe I read somewhere that the .45ACP shell plate and carrier fits the .308Win perfectly. Right now I am reloading .45's and thought about converting to a .308 setup.

Is the info correct? If so, do I only need the dies at this point?

Thanks a ton.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading .308Win in a Lee Pro 1000...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
helg
May 24, 2010, 09:37 PM
1. Disk powder measure can drop up to 1.5cc (up to 3.0cc with double disk). 308win case capacity is 3.6cc (or 3.4cc if you subtract volume occupied by a seated bullet). See the math. You need Lee perfect powder measure to get full powder drops and Lee rifle charging die to accommodate the measure.

2. Pro1000 ram stroke is just 3.5". 308Win max OAL is 2.8". I do not see any problem here.

3. Resizing 308 requires significant force and bends the press. If I would look for a consistency in OAL, I would size all brass in a first pass at the press, and after brass prepping, would charge/seat at the second pass. Consistent OAL gives better accuracy.

Walkalong
May 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
Your Lee .45 shell plate should work with .308.

Hornady seems to be the only one who can't get that right.

ants
May 24, 2010, 10:53 PM
Helg offers a good warning, but I've never used so much force resizing 308 that it threatens to bend my P1000. I would heed Helg's warning by telling you to be sure to lubricate the case properly, including inside the neck.

After sizing and trimming to 0.010" below max length, most of my loads take more than two firings to stretch to max length again. I've reloaded 308 in the P1000 only when I am satisfied that I'm loading the right brass. Same with 7x57. And .223 Rem. But 30-06 and clones are too long.

I put the Perfect Powder Measure on top of the Rifle Charging Die (it screws in when you remove the drop tube -- that black plastic tube held to the bottom of the Perfect Powder Measure with the silver knurled nut). It doesn't charge the case automatically, you have to do it manually. And take a visual peek after it leaves the charging station to verify the powder.

Everything else on the press works the same, except I don't use the case feeder tubes. Just place a new case in front of the slider each time.

Yes, you use Shellplate #2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading .308Win in a Lee Pro 1000...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!