XD9 vs M&P9,

PDA

UT PROSIM
May 24, 2010, 11:00 PM
now before i start a online fist fight with S&W or Springfield bashing, i just wanted to know some of the pros and cons of each weapon from personal experience.

i am looking for a all around personal defense handgun, on that i can carry well, can take a few bumps and is not gonna rust (VA summers are VERY humid, i have to soak my 1911 in rem oil).

from my own research i have narrowed it down to the XD and M&P in 9mm, now i was looking for a 4" barrel size but thats not a must.

what i like about the M&P is the feel, it fits great in my hand and it shoots well given my skill with a pistol, but i have never shot a XD but i am not so partial to its grip, but it seems to get better reviews else where online

what are your guys thoughts on different sizes and over all opinion of each pistol?

If you enjoyed reading about "XD9 vs M&P9," here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TeamPrecisionIT
May 24, 2010, 11:47 PM
I went through this, too, and chose the M&P based somewhat on the difference of the grips. IMO, the M&P has a more comfortable grip to it, where the XD has a better texture on the grip, but was too small for my long hands.

I also decided the M&P has a better trigger system to it.

The multiple safety-oriented systems on the XD were a turn off to me.

Your best bet will be to spend some money and shoot at least 100 rounds out of the different systems, preferably side-by-side and make your decision that way. As far as size, that is purely your choice on the balance between comfort (size, weight, shape, etc.) and fighting potential (higher capacity, longer barrel, sight radius, etc).

Damian

LawofThirds
May 25, 2010, 12:36 AM
I picked M&P in .45 compact flavor. The grips, the excellent crimson trace mounting system and the overall reputation of S&W did it for me. The one thing I changed was to put in the apex tactical carry/duty kit into it. I cannot say enough good things about this sear/firing pin block set, it took 30 minutes to install and removed all of the rocks/grit from the trigger pull, shortened reset, made the trigger much crisper and kept everything at a nice 5# pull. All for 76 dollars after shipping. It's now child's play to make 2-3" groups with this gun at 20 yards.

1SOW
May 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
The XD 9 has a few more miles on it than the M&P so the bugs are worked out.

My experience has been mainly with the XD Service 4" bbl .45acp. It takes any ammo and has been 100% reliable for over 2K rounds.

The M&P 9 I shot felt good in my small hands and also shot well.

Both are being used in competition, so trigger mods and other improvements are available

Rent/borrow both and try them out before you take the plunge.

.357 magnum
May 25, 2010, 01:52 AM
I own two XD-M 9mm's and a SW-MP 9mm. They are both Awesome, Never fail weapons. I favor the XD-M's because of the 19rd mag's and I like the feel of the weapon-Really feels like a Tough, Defensive Weapon:evil:. The trigger gets better on The XD-M as you shoot it more. I can say a lot of Nice things about the Smith too. If you are looking at a Regular XD and Not the XD-M I would take the Smith-MP hands down!

The Best to You And Yours

Frank

possum
May 25, 2010, 02:01 AM
the xd and the m&p are both great choices, with that said, if there wasn't the xd, then i would shoot the m&p. the m&p has great ergo's, the interchangable backstraps is about the only advantage i can see that the m&p has over the xd, but for me the 9/.40 grip frame of the xd is the right size and perfect angle for me, so i don't personally need any kind of interchangability with the xd. i have 2 xd service models in .40 (picked up the 2nd one a couple days ago.) one of em has over 17,000rds through it, and i couldn't be happier.

both the xd and the m&p's are reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot, i just personally prefer the xd to the m&p as well as every other handgun out there. maybe if the m&p would have been around when i got my 1st xd so many years ago the story might be different.

Jed Carter
May 25, 2010, 06:00 AM
Personally It would depend on cost, cost of the pistols and cost of extra magazines. XDs are nice billboards, and except the Model 39 I am not a fan of S&W pistols either. Both are good semi auto pistols try both and then make up your own mind, But why stop with these 2? I would expand your search CZ, FNH and Glock all have merits and may out preform your choices. XDs can be had without all the "free" crap for as little as $399, prices are poised to make a downward correction.

bb21
May 25, 2010, 12:36 PM
I like both a great deal. I do feel the finish on the XD's are superior to the M&P's finish. Also if you are really concerned I would go with the bi-tone XD. I feel like with stock triggers on both the XD is smoother, but that is just my opinion and others may disagree. I have only heard positive things about the XDM and it seems like it is superior to both as it has improved on the original design of an already great design. 19+1 in 9mm is nice as well, so if capacity is a factor I would also lean towards the XDM. Shoot them and see. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Butter
May 25, 2010, 01:40 PM
I have both and like both. Pros for the XD are grip angle and I have yet to have one flub up on me right from the box (I own four). The ones I own all shoot well and are fairly accurate. Trigger has a lot of take up though, especially compared to a Glock.

The M&P I own is in the 9mm flavor and has one of the best grips of any polymer framed gun that I have shot. The trigger is not something that turns me on, and though there's a longer take up on the XD by comparison, all of these have smoothed out well for me. I have had one of my XDs worked on at SA and have their Custom Carry Package on it. Good gun!

Right out the of the box, my M&P was dumping brass on my head and I had to turn it back to S&W. Great customer service and with a quick turn around and an extra mag for my troubles, has not bothered me since. Though the trigger still bugs me some.

All in all, minor considerations and both are very good, serviceable guns.

kludge
May 25, 2010, 03:27 PM
My choice came down to the same two. I picked the XD based on the trigger.

Dnaltrop
May 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
It's petty, it's pointless, some day I might get over it and buy one.

I despise that little teat sticking out the rear end.

I know it's loaded. if it's out of my sight long enough for someone else to need the cocking indicator, I've failed in my duty to protect others from my own carelessness.

That's on ME though, I've nearly been shot by idiot friends too many times.
Pull the slide "chamber clear!", drop the clip "You cocked it" "No i didn't, i know what i'm do-BANG-CRAP"

Just to my left, between picture frames and a lamp with a nasty hollow-point. left a foot long gouge in the wall.

I did like the XDm's grips, nice traction.

The freebies with the XD might also be a draw for the "package deal", but I tend towards shoulder rigs if not inside-the-pants for holsters.

Both lifetime warranty if new, both decent service life, just put 2 side by side, and feel which one feels more "right" the instant you pick it up.

You know attraction within seconds.

I ended up with an M&P in .40, large backstrap fits perfectlly, lots of clearance from the slide on my meathook. but I should try to get over my irrational annoyance over cosmetic stuff.

Madcap_Magician
May 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
I've shot and owned both.

I carry M&Ps.

I won't knock XDs, the M&Ps just fit my hand better.

I think the only thing that's clearly superior about the M&P are the stock sights. Everything else is a matter of personal taste and ergonomics on those two guns or the Glocks, IMHO.

Quack
May 27, 2010, 02:10 PM
you may find the M&P a nicer since it has a lower bore axis.

i have both and let friends shoot them back to back along with a Glock.
the felt that the M&P was the best of the 3. One friend that didn't like the M&P (vs. Glock) had never shot one until he fired mine. Long story short, my friend sold his G26 and bought a M&P. Another friend was looking for a gun and i told him to shoot a few. He ended up buying an M&P as well.

Skylerbone
May 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
If you're worried about rust the M&P is stainless and Melonite coated which makes it black. I had my first close encounter with an XD-M 9 yesterday and must say the trigger was considerably smoother and lighter than the stock on my M&P 40. Of course I added the Apex parts (not the carry kit) and it registered 4 lbs. on my smith's scale.

Never a problem, did kick some brass at me but always reliable. Check out Burwell Gunsmithing for some ideas on what the M&P can be when released from it's factory form.

Fishman777
May 28, 2010, 01:01 AM
I've shot most of the major makes and models of autoloaders. I prefer the M&P over them all because of the ergonomics, the quality of the materials, the low bore axis. Heck, I even love the shape of the trigger.

The M&P, like many other guns, stumbled a little out of the gate and some people had some problems. Since then, they've fixed the issues and now have one of the best, if not the best, polymer-framed gun on the market.

I am now the extremely satisfied owner of a new M&P9 with the frame safety. I couldn't be happier with it. Up until this point, I've been a really big Ruger revolver guy. Until I finally gave the M&P a try, I never found an autoloader that I liked more than my revolvers. God knows that I really tried hard to find an autoloader that held my interest for longer than a few weeks. It is not to say that I dislike the competitive guns on the market. My issue is that I liked so many of them and couldn't find anything that really stood out from the crowd. The M&P with the medium grip feels like it was made specifically for my hand. I am so darn impressed with this gun. Since I have limited storage space, I plan on getting rid of a few things to make space for more. I also want to get the M&P 9c and an M&P40, both with the frame safety. I just like the safety option. Not everyone's thing, but it works for me.

Having said that, I really like the XD as well. I not for the M&P, I would probably own some flavor of the XD or a CZ 75B stainless.

postalnut25
May 28, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'd love to help you out, but I can't. I have both, an XD9 tactical and an M&P9 Pro. I like them both, and I won't sell either one. I would give my M&P a slight edge, though. With the small backstrap, the grip fits me better. Also, I was able to order a complete 4 inch slide assembly through S&W, so I can have a duty size weapon when I don't want the long slide on it.

Just One Shot
May 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
I own both an XD .40 SC and a M&P .40 C.

The main diff. for me is, the M&P is slightly thinner than the XD but the XD has a better trigger than the M&P (The M&P feels gritty but hopefully that will smooth out with use).

Both are great guns. Go shoot them before making a decision

or

just go ahead and buy both.

;)

Taurus 617 CCW
May 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
XD has more accessories currently available ie. night sights, holsters, etc.
XD has a stainless option
XD comes with the XD gear package
XD has the XD-M line for more options

M&P has completely ambidextrous controls
M&P has interchangeable backstraps
M&P has Novak style sights

The XD was designed more for the civilian market and offers more options in my opinion. The M&P was designed more for the law enforcement market. I like how the M&P feels in the hand but I like how many options the XD line has to choose from.

Skylerbone
May 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
Speedshooterspecialties.com should provide you with all kinds of aftermarket M&P support from factory parts to aftermarket barrels, sights and grips.

One Shot- look into the Apex Ultimate Striker Block, it will cure the grittiness in your M&P trigger without lightening the trigger too much. If you want a lighter trigger then also order the Apex Hardened Sear for a crisp 4 lb pull or the Duty Kit for a 5.5 lb pull.

I would never knock Springfield, they're practically in my backyard but the XD line of pistols aren't made by Springfield, they're made for Springfield in Croatia with some assembly required. I know many fine "custom" pistols are forged elsewhere but I believe this is more of an importer type relationship. Still, out of the box the XD-M trigger is smoother and lighter than the M&P and the grip is nicely textured where the M&P is slippery when wet (I've verified that with mine).

As to reliability, I've watched torture tests on both and its a dead heat. For breakdown the M&P is simpler, has a sear disconnect bar which means you don't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide (some are confused about this option: with the slide locked back if you look down into the magwell you will see a thin greenish wire that, when pulled forward with a screwdriver or the grip frame tool will allow the slide to simply slide off the rails. Or just pull the trigger like a Glock and save the hassel).

I love my M&P 40, shoot it every week and it's really helping with my accuracy. I've had zero failures in 500 rounds now and I plan to put another 50 down range today.

If you would like to see some beautifully smithed M&Ps take a look at Burwell Gunsmithing and Bowie Tactical for some truly tricked out setups. Everything from concealed carry minimalist to competition holosight. (and you could tell your friends David Bowie customized your pistol!)

The good news is you've got a win/win situation with the candidates you've chosen and the bad news is you'll have to like what you buy and not fret about the one that got away, at least until your next purchase.

Best of luck.

wow6599
May 28, 2010, 11:22 AM
I'm biased because I really like the M&P line.....so I say M&P
FWIW the M&P is made in America, the XD in Croatia.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD9 vs M&P9," here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!