Federal Fusion for hunting?

PDA

monwa
May 24, 2010, 11:49 PM
I could'nt find anything with search on this.

Has anyone an opinion on this ammunition for hunting? It seems a bit more expensive than what I would usually use for 30-30 and 30' 06 in Core Lokts.

Thank You.

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Fusion for hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WestEnd65
May 24, 2010, 11:59 PM
I haven't tried this personally, but I went hog hunting with a friend that was shooting these out of a .270. I was using Core-Locts out of a .30-06, and both seemed to do the job perfectly. Pretty much any larger caliber round put in the right place will drop an animal where they stand.

pikid89
May 24, 2010, 11:59 PM
stick with the core lokts...proven classic+easy on the wallet

TexAg
May 25, 2010, 12:07 AM
Shoots very accurately in my 700 .30-06 which seems to be the norm for this ammo. Most reviews I've read indicate it's accurate in their guns as well. I used it on a small buck and two small pigs all between 150 and 200 yards. They all dropped dead in their tracks.

bpl
May 25, 2010, 06:05 AM
I'm sure it works fine... but not any finer than the corelokts you're using already.

Geno
May 25, 2010, 08:20 AM
I've used the Fed Fusion in .270 Win, .308 Win and .300 Win Mag. In each rifle, it has been nicely accurate.

Geno

wombat13
May 25, 2010, 10:40 AM
Fusions are the most accurate factory ammo I've tested in my Ruger Hawkeye .300 win mag. As you can read in this thread, they seem to be a very accurate choice for many rifles. In my experience, they are a fine hunting bullet.

Dr T
May 25, 2010, 11:22 AM
I have been impressed with the accuracy of the Federal factory fodder for the last couple of years. It has been up there with handloads I have tuned for some of my rifles. Even the bullets from the least expensive line of cartridges has had good performance on game.

On the other hand, I became wary of CoreLockts about 30 or 35 years ago. I shot 5 deer in a row (over a period of 2 years) with 100 gr. CoreLockts out of a 6 mm Remington and each one had a full case separation and ended up under the skin on the far side.

Of course, one could argue that that was perfectly efficient performance, and it may have been a bad run of 6 mm bullets. The deer did not go very far. And, in fairness, the 180 gr. from a 300 Weatherby Remington factory load performs nicely, both in accuracy and terminal performance, from my Sako TRG.

Mikee Loxxer
May 25, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have had good luck with the 180 grain .30'06 load in a Remington 700. A boiler room shot on a mule deer buck at about 125 yards blew pieces of the lungs out the side of the animal. It was a good quick kill.

Horsemany
May 25, 2010, 11:55 AM
I've been handloading for years but cannot top the accuracy I get from Fusions in 270 Win. They shoot clean, accurate and work well on game. Last year I shot a 210lb buck in the brisket at 20 yds with the Fusions. He dropped like hit by lightning. Exit hole about the size of a golfball. The field performance and accuracy are hard to beat even with my best handloads.

ranch71
May 25, 2010, 08:51 PM
i use federal fusion for the first time last year. rem 7mm mag 140 gr psp,7mm 08 rem 140 gr psp,ruger #1 100 gr psp. their supose to be the hottest factory load and most accurate and they are.they have performed great with no cons. but at the same time rem core lck performs very well with no problems. if u have a few xtra dollars try them,u cant go wrong.at the same time the triple shok ,u can down size by 30% in grains and perform equal. for example 85 gr triple shok is equal to 100 gr bullet. hope this helps.

hometheaterman
May 25, 2010, 10:47 PM
I have used these in my 30-06. I used 150 grain ones. For some reason my Browning BAR 30-06 is super picky on ammo. If I get 4-5" groups with most of the ammo I've tried I've done well. With Federal Power Shoks group shrink down to 2-3" groups. With the Federal Fusion ammo groups go down to 1.5" or so. It's the most accurate ammo I've tried from that gun.

I've however, only shot one deer with it. I shot a large doe with one from about 150 yards away. The doe just dropped right there. It didn't even take a step. I was impressed with this. I made a pretty good hit right in the shoulder. The only thing I will say is it left a small hole going in and out. I didn't think it even passed through as I couldn't find an exit hole. When skinning the deer we found the exit hole and it was tiny. The entrance hole wasn't much bigger. Several guys that were helping me skin it commented on how it didn't do very much damage at all to the deer. So I wasn't too happy with how it looked compared to the entrance and exit wounds I've seen when others have shot deer with Winchester Power Points or even the Federal Power Shoks some of them use. However, the deer did drop right there so it did it's job.

I like them because they are accurate and they did drop the deer. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. The only thing I really don't like as mentioned is the price. They are expensive at around $30 a box here. When I first used them 3 years ago I was paying $17.99 a box. Then 2 years ago $22.99 a box, then last year $30 a box. I'm not sure what they will be this year. I did find some on sale last year at Dicks and got them for a little over $20 a box after rebates.

desidog
May 26, 2010, 11:26 AM
I use the Federal Fusion 170gr .308 Lite (50% reduced recoil) in my FR-7; a small ring Spanish Mauser that was armory re-barreled with a CETME bbl in the 1950's. Since the action has two lugs, (vs 3 lugs on a 98-action), full-power .308win might make for a bad day... The "Lite" fusion .308 has a .30-30 bullet in it, and similar specs, and took down a big doe for me last Fall no problems, and exploded a groundhog at some point as well.

Snakum
May 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
In every rifle I've owned Federal ammo has been the most accurate, whether it was hunting ammo or match. And the Fusion is definitely a deer and hog killer par excellence. But the Federal PowerShok was just as accurate in my .270 and 7mm RM and does the number on hogs and deer. The Fusion is a good bullet and I like Federal, but it's largely hype and marketing. Personally, I'd go with a good old PowerShok for less money.

blackops
May 26, 2010, 08:53 PM
Not bad ammo, but not top of the line either. Core loks. Barnes etc they all do the job. Which is most accurate will depend on your rifle.

Horsemany
May 27, 2010, 08:14 AM
Not bad ammo, but not top of the line either. Core loks. Barnes etc they all do the job. Which is most accurate will depend on your rifle.

This is true. But Fusions have a reputation of being the most accurate in a lot of rifles. One thing I've noticed about Fusions is they are loaded longer than most other factory rounds or have a longer ogive.

Being a handloader when I see most factory rounds they appear seated far too deep. Not Fusions. Being plated they must have a different size or weight distribution than a cup and core. Whatever the reason I believe this is why they shoot best in many people's guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Fusion for hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!