S&W's New SD9 & SD40 - Anyone handle one?

PDA

TheBill
May 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
I just saw this on their website. Anyone know anything about them yet?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_759152_-1_759151_759151_image

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W's New SD9 & SD40 - Anyone handle one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kludge
May 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
Looks like a new Sigma.

Great, now I'm going to have to ask every time, did you say "SD40" or "XD40"?

BTW, I love how on the product page thay say "Standard Capacity" and "Low Capacity" :)

millertyme
May 25, 2010, 03:21 PM
Looks like a rebranded Sigma. A rebranded Sigma with a $50 price increase.

TheBill
May 25, 2010, 03:25 PM
You think they just rebranded the Sigma, and added "Self Defense" to the front of it as a marketing scheme?

StephenT
May 25, 2010, 06:53 PM
What's the purpose of this SD gun? Is it just a slightly improved Sigma, or a completely new gun? Does it do anything the M&P won't?

NG VI
May 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
I bet it costs less than the M&P. I think it is either a replacement for the Sigma, or an intermediate between the Sigma and the M&P, which I still refuse to believe is not an improved Sigma. This is just a more inexpensively-improved Sigma it looks like, and I support that. More levels of pistol are better.

I think for the most part the changes are good ones, personally I could care less about forward serrations, but whatever.

Ala Dan
May 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
a Sigma look-a-like; but the jury is still out~? :scrutiny: :eek:

JTQ
May 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
I believe we have another thread on this from a few weeks back.

The price will be between the current Sigma and the M&P.

The biggest complaints against the Sigma have always been the proprietary rail and the heavy trigger. I've always felt the Sigma felt good in the hand.

You can see from the pictures the rail has been addressed and they make mention of their new trigger. With all the progress from after-market folks for the M&P trigger and the "home" remedies developed over the years since the first Sigma came out it is certainly logical to assume this pistol will have a better trigger than the Sigma. I'll be interested to see what that feels like. If the trigger is reasonable it could be a big winner for S&W.

Kingofthehill
May 26, 2010, 02:52 PM
Looks like a rebranded Sigma. A rebranded Sigma with a $50 price increase.

with the M&P trigger and a tritium front sight for a lot less then the M&P and barely above the Sigma.

I think its a good mix

Free2game
May 26, 2010, 04:00 PM
One I heard it had an 8 pound SAO glock like trigger I lost interest

TheBill
June 2, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm still looking to handle one soon.

I too agree that the Sigma's feel good

Kingofthehill
June 6, 2010, 05:17 PM
Shot one today!...

Friend got it at the gun show and we went shooting afterwards.

Its a nice gun!... I am very impressed. The trigger is identical to my Stock M&P 40. The fit/finish is M&P quality and the Tritium front sight is a nice touch. He paid $419 for it. The same booth was selling the Sigma for $359 the SD9 for $419 and the M&P for $519.

Its a nice firearm!... I was hoping it would have the M&P trigger and it did not disappoint. It shot just as accurate as my M&P and recoil felt the same as well.

Its gonna be a good seller!

Hammerhead6814
June 6, 2010, 06:30 PM
Things that are clearly an improvement over the Sigma series:

1. Picatinny Rail. Unlike the weird weaver-rail that made us all buy the Laserlyte rail, the SD comes with it included. +1 for the SD.

2. SD's come in a matte-black finish. Sigma is SS.

3. Textured Frame.

Oh who am I kidding, this IS a Sigma. Despite the minor differences it looks like a Sigma, weighs about the same as a Sigma, and has the same mag capacity. What are we really getting? In fact, look closely. I see a resemblance to the XD.

harmon rabb
June 6, 2010, 06:52 PM
the sd looks like a m&p got busy with a sigma and forget the rubber :o

Kingofthehill
June 6, 2010, 07:37 PM
Things that are clearly an improvement over the Sigma series:

1. Picatinny Rail. Unlike the weird weaver-rail that made us all buy the Laserlyte rail, the SD comes with it included. +1 for the SD.

2. SD's come in a matte-black finish. Sigma is SS.

3. Textured Frame.

Oh who am I kidding, this IS a Sigma. Despite the minor differences it looks like a Sigma, weighs about the same as a Sigma, and has the same mag capacity. What are we really getting? In fact, look closely. I see a resemblance to the XD.

Read the post RIGHT above yours.

As an owner of several sigma's and several M&P's... the SD is leaps and bounds better than the Sigma.

Im speaking from first hand experience. This hopefully will phase out the Sigma and S&W will now have 2 very respected polymer handguns instead of 1 budget gun and 1 quality gun.

JOe

earlthegoat2
June 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
The only thing I see as an improvement is the trigger.

It is still a Sigma, the one S&W product I had to return to the factory more than any Taurus.

bds
June 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
This is very interesting development. Can't wait to shoot one.

For many potential buyers in the Sigma/P95/Taurus price range ($350-$400), new SD may tip the scale for S&W:

- Popular 9mm/40S&W caliber
- High capacity magazine (notice the rounded mag base - wonder if mags are interchangeable with Sigma?)
- Good grip (I always liked the Sigma grip, but not the trigger)
- Now good trigger (M&P like? that's great)
- Standard rail
- Tritium front sight (nice touch)

bds
June 6, 2010, 09:00 PM
Ooops, duplicate post.

basicblur
June 6, 2010, 09:11 PM
SD's come in a matte-black finish. Sigma is SS.
They've varied over the years, but 'bout all my Sigmas were black. Not much on two-tone guns (well, maybe a BBQ gun/safe queen), but I did have one Sigma two-tone (they pretty much gave it to me). I think they currently show one in the catalog (Afghanistan police model etc?) but I never see the all black ones in shops.

Think at one time I had 'bout 6 of the darn things in black-they were practically giving 'em away, and I built a pretty good set of S&W travel luggage-they were giving rebates and free bags.

Everybody I sold 'em to has been happy with 'em (a lot of folks getting into SD)-I'm down to my last Sigma-an SW9V (all black, factory Novak Trijicon sights) which has been my bed gun for around 12 years. Finally gonna retire it and replace it with a SIG SP2022 (picatinney rail, and used the money needed to replace the Sigma night sights towards the SIG purchase).

Yeah, the new models look like updated Sigmas, which to me ain't a bad thing.
Biggest difference/upgrade for an old Sigma owner would be the universal rail, the thumb rest is nice, and more texture on the grip (I put Hogue HandAlls on mine). I never had a problem with the Sigma trigger.

SheepNutz
June 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
Guns shops are starting to receive these. I just handled a SD40 on Friday at a local shop. It feels just like a sigma and the trigger is still kind of heavy. I really like the sights though. I think it was priced at $380.

jon_in_wv
June 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
I handled a SD40 today at the shop and I was actually quite impressed with it. The grip ergos and texture were great. It is also slimmer in the grip and seemed slimmer in the slide than the M&P. The trigger was smooth enough but it was heavier than the M&P. It also seemed to have a longer (but more positive) reset. The sights were good and the tritium front sight was a nice touch. Over all I would say it looks like a great weapon for the price. I'm interested to see what the 45 will be like. A compact would also be interesting.

The only real criticism I had of it was the material of the frame. The plastic had a much cheaper feel than the M&P. It felt better than a Keltec but not up to Glock or M&P standards. It was very well molded however.

fastbolt
June 28, 2010, 08:53 PM
Haven't looked at one yet.

I came across this review, though.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57006

nwilliams
June 28, 2010, 10:06 PM
My local shop got one in not too long ago.

Looks like an updated and much more attractive version of the Sigma. The shop wanted about $450 which seemed a bit steep IMO.

The trigger was absolutely god awful!!!:barf:

Seriously I really liked the look and feel of this gun but after testing the trigger once I handed it back to the clerk very quickly and told him no thanks. The trigger felt nothing like the trigger on my M&P and I actually think the Sigma trigger felt better!

jon_in_wv
June 30, 2010, 12:40 AM
The one I handled felt very much like the M&P but with a heavier pull and a slightly longer and more positive reset. No doubt it has a heavier return spring. It definitely wasn't too heavy to preclude good shooting with it.

billdeserthills
June 30, 2010, 01:40 AM
What I don't understand is why won't S&W just change the trigger? Everyone I try to sell the shmegma to, err I mean the pride of the Iraqi Army's "Sigma" to hates the trigger.

Kymasabe
June 30, 2010, 12:07 PM
I handled one recently and can't wait for my local gun shop to get one in 9mm. The grip and frame are clearly next generation Sigma, better grip but same angle and feel. The trigger however has been greatly improved, almost as good as the M&P and much, much better than the old gritty trigger of the Sigma. The slide however looks like it came right off an M&P with a little less machining. Interesting though, the SD line has front serations on the slide where as the Sigma and M&P only have rear serations.

Talking with a S&W rep the other day, he told me the Sigma has a tarnished reputation that they're trying to get past the name and into a new line with improvements.

Dnaltrop
June 30, 2010, 04:46 PM
I like my wife's sigma 9mm, it sits well enough in my hand that I can keep it right where I want it.

The dastardly curs at S&W announced the SD 9 right after she bought her gun.

Looks like a nice way to get a cheap basic night sight, and out from under the sTigma name.

Oh well, She likes shopping, gives her another reason to join me on one of my runs.

Onward Allusion
August 5, 2010, 12:44 PM
Aside from cosmetic changes along with night sights and a built-in standard rail, it's very similar to the Sigma. Trigger is midway between a Glock and Sigma. I was going to get one but I just found out that the magazines are not swappable with the Sigma so I'm holding off until I can invest in the pistol and about 10 mags. S&W should have just lighten the Sigma's trigger so that it would appeal to the mass market.

plateshooter
August 8, 2010, 02:41 PM
Hey there Onward, I just swapped mags between the sigma and the SD this morning at the local gun shop. They look like the exact same mags to me, at least in 9mm.

Onward Allusion
August 8, 2010, 03:56 PM
Dunno - I called the S&W customer service people and they said they are not swappable. Yes, they do look very very much alike except for the base plate. I'm going to see if any ranges around me have them for rental.

plateshooter (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=430)
Hey there Onward, I just swapped mags between the sigma and the SD this morning at the local gun shop. They look like the exact same mags to me, at least in 9mm.

plateshooter
August 8, 2010, 05:32 PM
The gun salesman and I just swapped the mags. They seated properly, and the slide locked open etc. We didn't shoot the guns. I really liked the SD and thought there was a real improvement over the Sigmas of which I have a 9 and 40 at the present time. The SD trigger is still a bit long, but it is not mushy and it doesn't stack like the Sigmas. If I didn't already own and like the Sigmas I have, I feel the extra money for the SDs would be worth it to me. I also own two M&P 9mms. In my opinion, the SDs are not that far behind them.

The Lone Haranguer
August 8, 2010, 08:22 PM
I liked the one I handled today (gun show in Kingsport). I would hope the trigger pull is like that of the M&P. The front night sight is a nice touch.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
The one I looked at was pretty nice but the frame is quite Sigma-ish--pawn shop had it marked at $469--I never asked about their best price but in that place the price marked is never the price paid. Don't think I'd go over $425-430 for one---more than that and I'd just buy a Glock.

dom1104
August 9, 2010, 09:51 AM
I handled 4 of them at the gun shop.

the trigger is 100% terrible and nothing, I repeat NOTHING like a M&P.

The gun in my opinion is 100% complete and total worthlessness.

The trigger is like a airsoft gun, or rubber band gun.

plateshooter
August 9, 2010, 12:50 PM
The SDs that I looked at were $399 at the Fin in central Ohio.

Onward Allusion
August 9, 2010, 01:07 PM
Gunbroker just sold one for $305 plus whatever shipping & FFL would be. I think the merchant got shorted on that one.

Omaha-BeenGlockin (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=1083)
The one I looked at was pretty nice but the frame is quite Sigma-ish--pawn shop had it marked at $469--I never asked about their best price but in that place the price marked is never the price paid. Don't think I'd go over $425-430 for one---more than that and I'd just buy a Glock.

bdb benzino
August 9, 2010, 02:31 PM
the trigger is 100% terrible and nothing, I repeat NOTHING like a M&P.

The gun in my opinion is 100% complete and total worthlessness.

The trigger is like a airsoft gun, or rubber band gun.

Tell us how you really feel!:rolleyes: Sounds like someone has a previous grudge.;)

basicblur
August 9, 2010, 04:08 PM
Sale probably ended last week, but Town Police Supply in Collinsville VA had 'em on sale for $379 last week.

Loaded up on some ammo on sale-gotta luv those police supply houses-you just never know what stuff you'll find on sale.
Federal 9mm 9BPLE +P+ was $23.99/box of 50
Federal 9mm HST frangible $9.99/box of 50

Brian10
August 9, 2010, 07:20 PM
The only thing the Sigma needed was a better trigger. Everything else fits in with the entry level price point they were aiming at. I own a Sigma and the trigger is atrocious. I can live with everything else it had to offer.

ccsniper
August 14, 2010, 02:42 PM
popping in to say I saw one on GB for 325+ shipping. I am thinking about buying one and seeing how well it carries

jon_in_wv
August 15, 2010, 02:23 PM
I handled the SD9 at the local shop and I though it felt pretty good. The frame grip feel great and overall its really slim. The trigger wasn't that bad. It was heavier them my M&Ps but its definitely workable especially at close ranges. I would want a better trigger for serious target work but the SDs was worlds better than something like a P11.

gasteffens
August 17, 2010, 01:00 AM
Just took delivery on an SD40 today from my FFL. I got it for about $400. I have NOT shot it yet. But I dry fired it a few times to check function and feel, and the trigger feels really smooth and not heavy at all. I think perception of trigger feel is a relative thing.

For what I paid, I was very impressed. Clean and looks to be well made. I field stripped it right away to check it out and confirm oil on crucial spots, and loaded the mags to 10 each (14 capacity but the springs are tight and I can't get more in without hurting myself) for HD purposes.

Planning a range trip in the next week or two. My mom just got a new pistol as well and we are going to break them in together. I will do my best to bring a range report back too! Mind you, I am a new shooter overall so that will be a factory in accuracy for sure.

I am going to buy at least 2 more mags, but at about $30+ each it will sting a bit to buy them but there is no such thing as too many mags or bullets IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W's New SD9 & SD40 - Anyone handle one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!