Surplus police guns

PDA

Yoda
May 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
A few years ago, I saw an odd rifle at a gun show. It turned out to be a Remington 7615. It's a pump action rifle that shoots .223 and uses AR-15 magazines. The salesman explained to me that a police force in Florida had bought a bunch of these because they didn't look like the "evil" AR-15, but one of the cops had missed his target with one and accidentally hit someone several hundred yards beyond the intended target, so the police force was retiring them. Apparently someone decided that it was better that the police not have any long-range firepower than take the risk of another tragic accident.

At any rate, it was my gain. At $350 each, I figured I REALLY needed to have one, just in case. I have to confess, I haven't made it to the range with it, but it balences nice and just feels good. If the JBTs ever come for my ARs, this might serve as a useful substitute.

I also once got a Ruger GP-100 that was in decent shape, and it was supposedly a retired service weapon. I think I paid about $220. My very first revolver, a S&W 68-1 at $200, was also a retired police sidearm. Oh, yeah, just remembered: I also got a S&W Model 36 that came with papers indicating it had once been issued to someone on the NYPD force. It had a lot of wear, but I got it for only $165.

Am I only guy who has gotten some great deals from the police?

- - - Yoda

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus police guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
May 27, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have never seen one of these rifles in person. I think they were mainly intended for buyers in states with laws against "assault rifles" but these states also ban large capacity magazines so taking AR15 mags may have hurt the legality of the rifle in some locales.

I always take stories about why a gun was discontinued or replaced with a big huge, honking grain of salt. Most big city cops are not great marksmen and most miss far more than they hit so dumping a rifle type due to one incident sounds phony to me. Some sellers are wired for sound and feel the need to provide a good story.

I have bought a ton of retired cop guns over the years. Mostly revolvers but I do carry a Model 659 Smith that came from the Atlanta PD.

huntsman
May 27, 2010, 01:16 PM
It turned out to be a Remington 7615. It's a pump action rifle that shoots .223 and uses AR-15 magazines.

Pics??

Sam1911
May 27, 2010, 01:19 PM
Sweeeet rifle! You should expect pretty tack-driving accuracy from all accounts.

$350 is a great deal, too. I was tempted a year ago when a local shop had a bunch for about $50 more.

BCCL
May 27, 2010, 01:46 PM
I wanted a Remington 7615 awhile back, but gave up finding a dealer that could get one. I kinda like the idea of them.

As for good police deals, my Smith & Wesson 66-2 that I have had for 20+ years was a police trade in, and is one of my favorite guns.

Mr. T
May 27, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hey guys you can make your own...well sort of....minus the mag well and the ability to use AR magazines. However you can get the pistol grip stock with a collapsible stock on it for your 760 or your 750/7400. Last I looked ATI had them.

W.E.G.
May 27, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have one or two "old police guns."

Price was right in each instance.

I don't have any interest in a pump-action Remington .223 though.

Onward Allusion
May 27, 2010, 01:59 PM
Former cop guns are the best deals around. Carried A LOT and usually fired only for qualification. My favorite is the 59 series.

Deanimator
May 27, 2010, 02:50 PM
I have three former police guns:

Glock 19 - Marked "Virginia Beach Sheriff's Department". From Summit Gun Broker.
S&W 3" Model 65 - From CDNN
S&W 4" M&P - Ex-racetrack security gun, probably NYPD before that. From RM Vivas & Son. Lots of finish missing, mechanically excellent and dirt cheap.

All needed minor work but are excellent guns. I regularly carry the Glock and the Model 65.

rmfnla
May 27, 2010, 03:15 PM
J&G sells lots of surplus LE guns.

Many departments prefer to sell their retired guns to companies like J&G to avoid the hassles of paperwork.

Lots of good deals because many LEOs don't do much shooting. Most of the wear is cosmetic but you can still end up with a good shooter at a bargain price.

wishin
May 27, 2010, 03:30 PM
That's a great way to get a good deal on a decent and not overused gun.

WC145
May 27, 2010, 07:02 PM
IIR, the point was a transitional weapon that functioned like the pump action shotguns that cops were used to and didn't have the "evil black rifle" stigma.

And, apparently, they're still offering them-
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm (copyright on this page is 2010)
http://www.remingtonle.com/images/rifles/m7615.jpg

danprkr
May 27, 2010, 11:42 PM
Never bought an xcop gun that I know of, but did recently buy a pair of Rugers that were retired security guns. Both were filthy, but after cleaning didn't seem to have been fired much at all. Both are more accurate than I am so I'm happy.

NCSUPackman
May 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
I done pretty well with some former police guns:

I have a glock 22 that was issued to the Georgia Building Authority Police. It came with three mags and everyone who shoots it really enjoys it.

I also got a Smith & Wesson model 68 from the California Highway Patrol. It was a model 67 chambered in .38spl and it's a tack driver. My dad borrowed it to qualify for his CCW.

Usually ex police guns are really worn from being carried all day but have been shot very little. The finish may look horrible but they are usually mechanically excellent.

Nushif
May 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'd love to get my hands on an ex cop gun. But it'd have to be stamped.
Where do you usually find those, anyways?

SpookyPistolero
May 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
I think the Remington 5.56 pump is an excellent looking tool, and a great choice where the law prohibits alternatives. All reports I've read show good accuracy. I think, beyond the above mentioned utility, they would make a great 'truck' gun.

MachIVshooter
May 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
but these states also ban large capacity magazines so taking AR15 mags may have hurt the legality of the rifle in some locales.

Sometimes that's only if they're for a semi-auto, since these AWB's don't typically apply to pump/lever/bolt action guns

I'd rather have a 7615 than a Kalifornicated AR. But since I live in CO, I see no good reason.

Still 2 Many Choices!?
May 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
That sight radius looks shorter than an AK's:scrutiny:! Give that sucker an optic mount, or a rifles sight's and sight radius, and I might get one to play with...

Still 2 Many Choices!?

gordy
May 28, 2010, 06:44 PM
I have fired one of these. It shot real nice and was a great shooter. The only thing that I didn't like was, It is heavy.:uhoh: And your brass is very easy to find when you done.:cool:

JTH
May 29, 2010, 01:36 PM
I'm 57 and I am still best friends with one of my buds from high school. He's is a dentist for a major metro area jail. I went to visit him and out of the blue, he pulls out a Remington 870 police issue and ask me if I wanted it, I said heck yes. He did some dental work and accepted it as trade. Couple of years later he gave me a MAK90 as a Xmas present. He really has some nice high end weapons but he can afford them. I'd sure like to have that Krink, if you're reading this Dave.
JT

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus police guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!