.30-06 Leade questions

PDA

Visionz45
May 27, 2010, 11:38 PM
The book say that the SAAMI max is 3.340", is that close to the land on a standard cut chamber? What would the proper figure look like if not?

If you enjoyed reading about ".30-06 Leade questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
May 27, 2010, 11:42 PM
It varies by manufacturer...Remingtons have long leads (think giraffe throat long), Savages are generally on the short side...

The best thing to do is make a dummy round and measure YOURS...

USSR
May 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
The book say that the SAAMI max is 3.340", is that close to the land on a standard cut chamber? What would the proper figure look like if not?

The distance of a bullet's ogive to a rifle's leade is a function of two things: the chamber as cut by the manufacturer/gunsmith; and the particular bullet used. Round-nosed bullets are closer to the leade in relation to the cartridge OAL than spire-point bullets are, due to the bullet ogive being closer to the bullet tip.

The best thing to do is make a dummy round and measure YOURS...

Yep.

Don

Visionz45
May 28, 2010, 05:26 PM
I just went down to Cabelas and picked up a OAL gauge and the special casing that accompanies it. I still have to wait for the hornady comparator adapter for my mic though. Thanks guys

USSR
May 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
No problem.

model 70, nuff said

Model 70, can't say enuff.;)

Don

If you enjoyed reading about ".30-06 Leade questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!