What makes you smile?

PDA

halfded
May 28, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hitting a plate at 800 yards in a crosswind? Shaving a few tenths off your draw time? Making sure that tin can knows you mean BUSINESS? Or is it just the noise?:evil:

We all have that little thing(s) that keep us coming back for more.

For me, there's nothing better than shooting a nice group. Putting 5 shots in almost the exact same place is a satisfying experience to say the least.

A close second would be the cold bore shot of most any centerfire rifle or shotgun after not shooting it for a while. Just brings it all back..:D

What squeezes that smile or quiet giggle out of you while shooting?

If you enjoyed reading about "What makes you smile?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nushif
May 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
I like making things move, bounce, fly or some other thing.

That being said I throw plastic bottles out in front of me and love to move them around. Always makes me snicker when it pops up, lands, pops up again ...

aka108
May 28, 2010, 10:31 AM
Seeing a beautiful woman at the range who knows how to shoot.

CCWB
May 28, 2010, 10:38 AM
I love the skeet shooting image I've got.
I'd have to say shooting with my daughter, she'll be 4 this year.
Taking out a new shooter for their first time, shotting my BP, and shooting a fresh round of hand loads I just pressed.
All in that exact order.

jnyork
May 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
10 in a row on the turkeys.

ol' scratch
May 28, 2010, 05:04 PM
Openning a can of Greek ammo and smelling that 4895 smell. Also, cracking the seal on a pound of 4895. I love the smell of it--sort of sweet.

The smell of burned gun powder, shooting 1 MOA with my Garand, shooting my .45 out to 60 yards and hitting target, sending clods of dirt flying while shooting my Garand, killing ducks with my 10 gauge, holding a fine firearm, the sound of an en bloc ejecting, the sprong sound my ar makes when I shoot it,....

I could go on and on with this.

gordy
May 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
Ringing my 350 yard gong with my 50cal percussion muzzle loader.

del4
May 28, 2010, 07:25 PM
Dusting a clay. Busting a water filled bottle.

JoeMal
May 28, 2010, 07:42 PM
A close second would be the cold bore shot of most any centerfire rifle or shotgun after not shooting it for a while. Just brings it all back..
Dusting a clay.
I love the skeet shooting image I've got.

I will say that there's something especially fun about shooting shotguns...

Jon_Snow
May 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
On the trap range I usually let the last bird in a round hang out there until it's almost hit the ground before I shoot. It's pushing a good 2.5 seconds of flight time. It's not often that I hit those long shots, but when I do, it's a great feeling.

Buck Snort
May 28, 2010, 08:01 PM
I just love the smell of H110 in the morning!

Cosmoline
May 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
Successfully shooting the first round from a firearm I built myself. That and finding the perfect handload for a difficult rifle.

oldbear
May 28, 2010, 09:02 PM
What puts a smile on my face every day is seeing my wifes’ lovely smile, first thing, every morning.

Now for shooting, the fact that I can still keep 12 rounds of .357 in a 2” group at 25 feet in 30 seconds.

nitetrane98
May 28, 2010, 09:41 PM
These days it's shooting small twigs floating down the river with a .22 rifle or pistol. Some of them are pretty small. I'll admit that some may be rotten and break up from the violence of the splash if you only get close and don't really hit the twig. But if it breaks into 2 or more pieces we call it a hit. That and turtle heads at 40-50 yards. You don't get much time to fret with the perfect sight picture. They're usually just up long enough for a gulp of air

Recently we came up with a game we call Redneck River Clays. We take an empty beer can and a fishing pole. We tie a washer on the line and slip it into the opening of the beer can then cast it out upstream from the deck over the river. When it floats down the first shooter takes a .17HMR and shoots just under the can. If you hit the water just right it'll blow the can 15-20 feet out of the water. The second man uses his shotgun to bust it in air. We swim in the area too so we're careful about leaving any sunken cans around to step on.

Finally, hitting anything with water in with the .17HMR with TNT rounds. That's just plain old fun.

wishin
May 28, 2010, 10:08 PM
Picking off small rocks at our local 100 yd outdoor range.........

joeq
May 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
Shooting my M44 at the indoor range makes me smile.

bobelk99
May 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
Putting an 800 pound elk on the ground with one clean shot.

BK
May 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
When all the holes touch, and then later when the hole just elongates.

Hatterasguy
May 29, 2010, 12:36 AM
Anytime I shoot a really good rifle.

Everytime I pick up either the M1 Carbine or Sig rifle they just put a smile on my face. That Sig just feels so right in my hands after I put the Swiss furniture on it.

halfbreed808
May 29, 2010, 04:14 AM
Anytime I get to go shooting with my children.:)

wankerjake
May 29, 2010, 05:00 AM
Breaking stuff. I love breaking rocks with rifles, or dusting clays with scatterguns. When you can see the energy mismatch between projectile and target I have to smile. Stout recoil will also make me smile, even though it may hurt.

Tim the student
May 29, 2010, 10:08 AM
Flowers, puppies, long walks on the beach, and anything with a good beat that I can dance to.

Exploding prairie dogs also makes me happy, as do tiny little groups.

RDCL
May 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
Buying a new gun.

quackslayer
May 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
Watching a group of feathers fall on the water after a greenhead hits first; watching a whitetail deer hit the ground dead after one clean shot; watching a gray squirrel through a scope waiting for it to stop long enough for a shot; hearing the thunder gobble of tom wondering where that hot hen he is hearing at;

I believe that just being out in the woods brings the greatest of all joys; and one more thing, adding to my gun collection...:cool:

Magichelmt
May 29, 2010, 02:16 PM
The thud of a .44 mag. It just makes me smile.

Loosenock
May 29, 2010, 02:32 PM
Finding this is the bottom of my pan.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/loosenock/gold009.jpg

'Loose

Rokman
May 29, 2010, 02:41 PM
Getting a chance to handload ammo without the wife and kids bothering me. Going to the range and smelling the burnt powder from my firearm. Getting to shoot one om my ARs as fast as I can pull the trigger on a private range. Looking at a target with a perfect group from one of my handloads.

Just about everything about shooting.:)

arizona_cards_11
May 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
Shooting a nice group with my reloads.....nothing like it.

ljnowell
May 29, 2010, 02:58 PM
I love the feeling of a heavy recoil. I love the smell of burning gunpowder. I love to look at 500 freshly loaded rounds sitting on my bench. I love to smack the gong at 235 yards with my 1938 Mosin Nagant. I love to blow up clay pigeons at 50 and 100 yards with my AR. I really love watching people shoot my guns, and smile. Most of all, I love to watch my 9 year old son as he squeezes off rounds from his Single Six and my guns. Everything else is great, buy seeing the joy in my sons eyes when he shoots is worth more than all of it together.

Zoidberg523
May 29, 2010, 03:07 PM
Shooting my M44 at the indoor range makes me smile.

:D Mine too has that nice cannon-fire sound to it.

I love a smart kick from a rifle or shotgun. I love how soup cans bounce and reflect light when you hit them with a shotgun, and how cans of pop from the dollar store explode when hit with a 22 mag. I especially love the look of determined concentration my girlfriend makes when she shoots. :)

I also love the smell of Hoppes #9. Also, when I can't get to a range (I'm a city dweller, unfortunately), I love shooting old glass panes and fragments with my Ruger airsoft gun. :o

JoeMal
May 29, 2010, 03:12 PM
I also love the smell of Hoppes #9. I swear I would drink that stuff if it wouldn't kill me :what:

On that note, I love cleaning the guns, walking outside, then coming back inside and smelling Hoppes throughout my house for the next hour :rolleyes:

Nick5182
May 29, 2010, 03:24 PM
Everything about shooting in general, but I'd have to say shooting clays is the best for me. Watching the little orange and black disc turn into a cloud of dust, the smell of sulfur and burnt powder, the sight of spent shells and smoke exiting the ejection port....aaaahhhhhhhh. Another would be great, clean hunting shots. Squeezing the trigger and watching the deer or coyote standing on the hill just drop. Those are my ear-to-ear grin moments.

Werewolf
May 29, 2010, 03:37 PM
What makes me smile is my 2 1/2 year old son waking up in the morning and seeing the big ole happy smile on his face when I walk into his room.

Gun forum - yes.

But some things are just way more important than guns.

sm
May 29, 2010, 04:24 PM
1. Assisting kids learning to shoot.

2. Having a parent, not raised around/with guns, learning to shoot as well. And having these parents share how much safety is a part of what we do , how much fun, also how truly nice gun folks /shooters really are.

3. Having these folks share they bought a gun.

*smile*

Rokman
May 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
I forgot the smell of Hoppe's #9. I love the smell of that stuf too.

Calibre44
May 29, 2010, 06:29 PM
This:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/1stshot.jpg

Legionnaire
May 29, 2010, 06:35 PM
The thud of a .44 mag. It just makes me smile. Especially if it's a hot load from a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley!

ShadyScott999
May 29, 2010, 07:08 PM
My daughters. :):)

mata777
May 29, 2010, 07:31 PM
A huge pile of freshly reloaded ammo :).

halfded
May 29, 2010, 07:35 PM
On that note:

How about a huge pile of freshly UNloaded ammo!

blackops
May 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
A bloody arrow or one hole after a 10 shot spree.

AK103K
May 29, 2010, 08:01 PM
Raffica :)

MedWheeler
May 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
Getting a chance to actually go out to shoot usually does it for me, as do many things that are off-THR-topic..

javabum
May 29, 2010, 10:09 PM
What makes me smile?.......I have to say watching my daughter on the range shooting her rifle and hitting what shes aiming at and seeing the smile on her face....That's what does it for me.....there's nothing better than knowing what you taught her is coming to fruition.

Ky Larry
May 29, 2010, 10:31 PM
My 6" blued Python.
Head shots on varmits.
Shooting with my best friend.
Firing up my old Norton Commando. (Sorry, off topic but I couldn't resist.)
Timney triggers.
1911s.
My CZ Model-452 Ultra Lux.
CCI Green Tags.

Redneck with a 40
May 29, 2010, 11:58 PM
One inch group at 200 yards with my .308.:D

HuntAndFish
May 30, 2010, 12:13 AM
Just being strapped to the rifle, breathing in, out, press the trigger, NPA and front sight focus. That makes me smile.

Providing that experience to young shooters and watching as it starts to mentally come together for them and they embrace the discipline of it. That makes me smile.

Agostini
May 30, 2010, 05:14 AM
Outside the obvious family, seeing young people at the range seriously practicing the gun and having fun.

OpenSights
May 30, 2010, 05:34 AM
not sure which....

dropped with first shot or tracked and found dead. mmmmm meat on the table!

killchain
May 30, 2010, 07:17 PM
The smell of CLP. It means it's working.

.45ACP. Especially lots of it. Especially when I'm tearing a huge hole in a silhouette with it.

Beating my Dad on an IPSC speed stage, because he can out shoot me with his eyes closed. :)

When I graduated OSUT my Dad flew all the way across the country to see it. :o

Dookie
May 30, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hanging out with good friends and finding new ones.

WutUpGeez
May 30, 2010, 07:50 PM
beer

ozarkgunner
May 31, 2010, 12:09 AM
I like to shoot shotgun shells, emptys, from 10 yards to when ever it disappears, with my Browning Buckmark .22. I can usually hit them consecutively until an empty mag or they are completely out of sight.

JEB
May 31, 2010, 12:30 AM
that would be our january rifle season.

finally time to take the 30-30 into the woods and get some deer!

one of the best moments i had was just this last january. we were driving to our next spot when we spotted a deer in one of our fields. we stopped, i got out, jumped over the fence, loaded a single round into my marlin 336, and took aim. by now the doe had seen me but she didnt run. i pressed the rifle to my shoulder and put the crosshairs on her shoulder...BOOM!! the deer dropped, kicked a couple times and laid still. i walked up to in and was a full pass through about 1 inch behind the shoulder....at 125 yards while standing no less! i couldnt shake off that goofy smile for almost two days!

mustang_steve
May 31, 2010, 12:32 AM
punching out the center of the target, then being able to chip away at the edges of the hole to make it bigger.

Given it rarely works out that way, and I just get a bunch of holes around a really huge hole....it would be great to finish up a range session with a target that has nothing at all from the 8ring in.

Equestrian
June 1, 2010, 07:34 PM
anything loud and big bore. as well as long shots.

MCab
June 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
Jets screaming overhead at airshows. The blood doth tingle when that happens.

Shooting related, it'd have to be popping traps with my 18.5" barrel 12ga, knowing I can at least hit a man sized target with a .22 at 100 yds, using an olympic stance, and being able to do anything (shoot, reload, clear jams) with my pistol one-handed, either hand.

AWorthyOpponent
June 1, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hollowing out a 10 ring of a silhouette using rounds to cut the paper directly on the line...its harder than it sounds...

Ohh...and some of the pictures that M60 posts...

Chemist
June 1, 2010, 09:16 PM
Having three men next to me at the range stand there with their jaws hung open. While reloading I can here them talking to each other saying how much they now realize they suck...I get all warm and fuzzy. It puts a spring the DH's step when we leave.

If you enjoyed reading about "What makes you smile?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!