What's the most convenient/comfortable pocket gun?

PDA

Seattleimport
May 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
Is it an LRP with a wallet holster in the back pocket? Or some other combination?

Seems like IWB would be uncomfortable, which is why I'm looking at pocket carry.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the most convenient/comfortable pocket gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
May 28, 2010, 05:50 PM
Depends on the pockets. The LCP, TCP, P3AT baby .380s are popular for those that don't shop for their pants with carry in mind. Me, I prefer the baby nines.

springwalk
May 28, 2010, 05:58 PM
As a marginal pocket gun, glock 26 will definitely out shoot anything smaller than it, but you do need to pick your pants wisely. Cargo for me. :D

Haifisch
May 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
Desert Eagle .50AE :evil:

jonnyc
May 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
Keltec P32.

IdahoSkies
May 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
keltec p32. You may not like the 32 ACP but it literally disappears on you. YOU will forget you have it. Its that easy to carry.

I think that is why keltec's adverts feature it with a pile of keys and change. It supposed to go where ever you go, when ever you go.

MifflinKid
May 28, 2010, 06:29 PM
Seecamp-32

Seattleimport
May 28, 2010, 06:49 PM
Anyone give this a try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtv1KQimis&NR=1

rcmodel
May 28, 2010, 06:51 PM
Kel-Tec P3AT .380 ACP.

Don't leave home without it!

rc

rmfnla
May 28, 2010, 06:58 PM
I've been thinking of picking up the new Taurus .380

It compares well to the Kel-Tec spec-wise; anyone tried one?

harmon rabb
May 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
keltec p32. You may not like the 32 ACP but it literally disappears on you. YOU will forget you have it. Its that easy to carry.

isn't it the exact same size as the P3AT and LCP?

i have a LCP and it carries as easy in the pocket as a cell phone.

RevDerb
May 28, 2010, 08:52 PM
I carry the LCP in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster very comfortably in my back pocket when I need a more discreet carry than my G26 in an IWB holster which I do not find uncomfortable at all.

DeepSouth
May 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
What's the most convenient/comfortable pocket gun?
If that is your only concern then an NAA Mini would win every time.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju4/SczxsOmatcI/AAAAAAAABJI/oK_x2zI-e8I/s400/North+American+Arms+Model+NAA22S+mini-revolver,+chambered+in+.22+Short.jpg

I personally would rather have a 45 in my pocket, so I carry a PM45. But that's just me, I like BIG bullets.:D

CDW4ME
May 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
I've tried a J frame S&W, Kahr PM9 and Ruger LCP / Kel-Tec P3AT.

The 380 pistols are the lightest, thinnest, quickest from pocket, and the only ones out of those I've tried that you might "forget" you are carrying.

sniper5
May 29, 2010, 08:35 AM
The one thought on a wallet holster is it MIGHT allow you discreet access: "OK, no problem, here let me get my wallet out. It's here in my back pocket." Or: "Please, please mr. badman, I don't want to die. Don't shoot me. Look, I have money. . ."

On the downside: Pickpockets, Sciatica

The Lone Haranguer
May 29, 2010, 09:46 AM
The very small pistols like the Kel-tec, Seecamp, LCP, etc. are convenient to carry. But you will sacrifice shootability and cartridge power. I am not comfortable with these as my only armament unless the dress or social situation absolutely precludes anything larger.

Nasty
May 29, 2010, 10:55 AM
Kel-Tec PF9...maximum firepower, minimal package, totally usable. Disappears in either my back or front pocket.

6' 4", 250# so your fit may vary.

Caliper_RWVA
May 29, 2010, 11:40 AM
Kel-Tec PF9...maximum firepower, minimal package, totally usable. Disappears in either my back or front pocket.

6' 4", 250# so your fit may vary.

6', 155# here and the PF9 works in larger front pockets (like khakis or cargo pants, not jeans) back pocket works if the shirt is long enough, because the butt does stick out. I tend to go for IWB. Probably going to make a cloth IWB because the Blackhawk/Uncle Mikes IWB's add alot in thickness to such a thin gun.

For MOST convenient, I would still have to lean towards a .32 or .380 gun because there is no way I can argue that a 9mm is easier to conceal than those.

I will also add that since my g/f got a revolver, I have learned that they are deceptively concealable. Despite the additional width, their rounded shapes (hers has a rounded grip even) blend in far better than the more angular semis. It may not look like you have nothing there, but it isn't recognizable as a gun. Depends on your concealment situation.

kokapelli
May 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
I have a TCP and so far after 250 rounds like it.

I say "so far" because the TCP replaced a Diamondback that I liked too until I started having problems. After I sent the DB back to Diamondback and still having problems with it I traded it for the TCP.

The TCP is an easy shooting and accurate 380 that has so far been reliable with all but Herters ammo.

gb6491
May 29, 2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:

isn't it the exact same size as the P3AT and LCP?
The P-32 is slightly smaller than the P3AT in width and length. The difference is probably negligible in regards to carry and handling, but you can feel it when comparing the two side by side.
Regards,
Greg

gearhead
May 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm very partial to a P64 in my strong side front pocket, in a DeSantis SuperFly holster. I've even stitched some elastic bands to the flap to carry the second magazine for it. 6+1 single stack, 9mm Makarov ammo (like strong .380, but less expensive and more available), a steel-frame pistol that's DA/SA with a sweet manual safety and is lighter than my standard-size poly-frame pistols and about the same weight as a stainless J-frame, and it's as reliable as a brick.

Of course, nothing is perfect. It requires a spring change to get a passable DA trigger pull and even with the spring change there's still quite a bit of stackup. But I tolerate it because it's almost exactly the same length, height, and weight as my .38 Spl. snubby while carrying two more rounds and being thinner so easier to conceal in a pocket.

oneounceload
May 29, 2010, 08:32 PM
Rohrbaugh 9mm - the size of the 380s, packing a 9mm punch

DAdams
May 29, 2010, 09:40 PM
Seecamp .380.

TheProf
May 29, 2010, 10:36 PM
1. Ruger LCP.....can fit in any pocket...anytime. (.380 cal.)

2. Any SW j-frame....is the upper limit for me for pocket carry.. and I wear Cuban style shirts that hide any outline showing in my pant's front pocket.

Those two options work for me.

IMTHDUKE
May 29, 2010, 10:52 PM
In right pocket...
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/Robar.jpg
In left pocket....
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/SEECAMP-2.jpg
In back pocket...
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/62520996561662.jpg

engineer88
May 30, 2010, 02:30 AM
Pf9 if you can pull it off. For pure laziness of carry p32 is the lightest and smallest with 8 rounds of .32acp which ain't too bad in my opinion. I like my p3at too though.

Rexster
May 30, 2010, 07:22 AM
Hip pockets make wonderful decorations on the back of pants. I don't put important things back there, such as wallets and firearms. Whether it is stealthy pickpockets, robbers who assault, or just plain old jostling and gravity, things in back pockets are just too vulnerable to loss. When someone has been riding in my vehicles, particularly the back seat, I check to see if they have left anything behind, because it has happened several times. I see back pockets as a handy place to temporarily stash something for a short period of time.

The effect on my comfort/health is there, too.

I have on occasion carried a thin nylon wallet, containing a few dollar bills, in a back pocket, to use as a distraction in the event of a robbery.

OK, pocket guns. I like revolvers; S&W J-frames for smaller front pockets, and the Ruger SP101 for deeper front pockets. I prefer the versions without hammer spurs, for obvious reasons, though hammer spurs are not as bad as some think, if using good pocket holsters. The absolute worst impediment to a smooth draw is the protruding rear part of the slide of a striker-fired pistol. Striker-fired pistols can be carried in extra-large pockets, but they don't conceal as well, nor draw as smoothly.

FWIW, I am wearing a pair of North Face pants right now, with a SIG P229 SAS in the left front pocket, a very comfortable combo for the house. It is not quite concealable enough for the street, of course.

TonyT
May 30, 2010, 01:28 PM
I attempted to carry a Glock 36 but found it was difficult to reliably conceal at all times. I finally opted for a Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster. The Kahr PM-9 is reliable, light, slim, and surprisingly accurate with 7 rounds of 9mm.

FruitCake
July 13, 2010, 11:57 PM
By far out of my whole collection and smallest caliber I have is my P32 in any pocket or on the belt with the belt clip that's on it

jon86
July 14, 2010, 12:28 AM
A smith and wesson j frame is pretty comfortable... and with practice, very comforting as well. 5 rounds of 38 special in a very reliable package is nothing to sneeze at. It's also a dream to carry all day. I recommend a 642/442, or a 638/438 and a couple of speedloaders. If the trees in my backyard grew money, I'd carry an m&p 340.

MedWheeler
July 14, 2010, 01:02 AM
I had occasion to meet that "Cell Pal" founder at a gun show about a year ago, and was intrigued. However, I was carrying a Bersa Thunder at the time (which did fit), and was leery that it might not be as comfortable due t its weight. However, now that I carry a PF-9, I may just re-visit the Cell Pal idea just to have an alternative available to my current IWB/ITB carry mode..
I think he gets about $60 for it,a and I'd have to make sure there are cases for different phones, as my V9 Motorola is wider and longer than were the ones that would have fit in the cases he had at the time.

Camjr
July 14, 2010, 11:33 AM
J Frame 642 every day with either a Mika or Desantis Nemesis holster.

Cheers!

Babarsac
July 14, 2010, 11:35 AM
I love my Kel-Tec P32. With a Desantis holseter it slips right into my pocket or cargo shorts if I'm out on my bike.

WRGADog
July 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
Kahr PM9, Kahr P380, S&W 340 PD. All are easy to conceal and lightweight. The Kahr's are easy to shoot while the 340 PD is brutal when loaded with 357 mags.

357sigRog
July 15, 2010, 05:30 AM
As for a pocket gun, for me it is a 380.:)

boostin20
July 15, 2010, 05:59 AM
I'm a fan of the ruger lcp for pocket carry with jeans, but I'm considering a pf-9 for the near future. I might have to wear cargo's with the pf-9 due to my size (5'7", 170lbs).

PAPACHUCK
July 15, 2010, 06:16 AM
P32 is my first choice in a pocket pistol. I can and do, when attire allows it, carry my P11 in a front pocket. Tried the J-frame route, wasn't my cup-o-tea.

I can put 8 shots of 73gr. FMJ into a 3-4" group at 7yds rapid fire from the hip. That's all I ask out of my "get-me-the-heck-out-of-here" gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the most convenient/comfortable pocket gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!