lead reloads thru m&p9, anyone shooting them?

PDA

tignalljeeper
May 28, 2010, 07:56 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone was shooting lead reloads through their m&p9, before i make the jump on buying either lead or FMJ.

I'm already pretty particular about cleaning my firearms, can't decide if i want that extra cleaning

thoughts?...

If you enjoyed reading about "lead reloads thru m&p9, anyone shooting them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mags
May 28, 2010, 08:24 PM
I use 147 grain lead bullets through my M&P9c. I also shoot 115 & 124 grain plated RN, 115, 124 & 147 grain plated and fmj hollow point loads through the M&P. I like HP38, Universal Clays and Ramshot Shillouette for the range of loads I use. HP38 is used for the broader range and Universal and Shillouette is good for the JHP loads.

tignalljeeper
May 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
how bad is the leading?

Walkalong
May 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
thoughts?... I haven't run any lead in 9MM in a while, but there is no reason you can't work up a nice load that does not cause any leading in 9MM. No reason at all. Get some 18 BHN bullets from someone reputable like Missouri Bullets, load em up stout, and shoot them. Or get the 12 BHN if you want to run more mundane velocities/pressures.

bds
May 29, 2010, 01:28 PM
I have M&P 40 fullsize and have been shooting Missouri Bullets 18 BHN 180 gr TCFP with very minimal leading.

M&P has rifling with 5 wider lands than the more typical 6 lands/grooves. Compared to Lone Wolf and Glock barrels that come with highly polished lands/grooves (polished/coated hills/valleys for Glock), I would say M&P lands/grooves are coated and smooth, but not polished.

When I did some comparison range tests, I thought the less polished M&P would result in more leading/fouling buildup. I can't speak for 9mm, but the 40 S&W loads I tested resulted with very minimal leading at the chamber end (probably from my low start charge loads). With higher charge loads, there was virtually no leading.

For me, M&P recoil spring seems less stiff than Glock recoil spring (which means you won't have to push the powder charge as high to reliably cycle the M&P slide). I would suggest the MBC 9mm Small Ball (125 gr 18 BHN) as I got no leading from my latest range test using mid-range load data.

Mags
May 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
No leading for me, M&Ps don't use poly rifling like Glocks to my knowledge.

Peter_S
May 29, 2010, 08:35 PM
I shoot 122 grain flat points and 135 grain round nose from Magnus bullets through my M&P9. There is always SOME leading but a bit of Hoppes #9 is all it takes to get it clean again.

Quoheleth
May 30, 2010, 05:02 PM
I ran MB's 125 Smallball! in my M&P9 with no problems at all. Shot very well and cleanly. Use good data and the proper pressure/velocity for your bullet and you should be golden.

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "lead reloads thru m&p9, anyone shooting them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!