Glock Night Sight Freshness.

PDA

bg226
May 28, 2010, 11:49 PM
How can you determine the freshness of Glock Factory Night Sights? Are they date-coded or something?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Night Sight Freshness." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
c919
May 28, 2010, 11:53 PM
Do they smell sour? Look a little wrinkly? Yep, their bad.

Nah, just kidding. As far as I know, the only way to tell is how bright they are, or if you bought the gun new you can probably assume they aren't much older than a year from the date of purchase. If you got it used, perhaps you could call Glock and find out when they were installed.

Kingofthehill
May 28, 2010, 11:55 PM
Just go by the date of your gun and subtract 1 year as a worst case scenario.

you have at least 10 years so your good for a while

BK
May 29, 2010, 12:42 AM
By the time it takes for the sight company to construct and ship the sights to Glock, then for Glock to install them into a slide that is then set onto a frame, then the gun is shipped to a wholesaler who might stock it shortly before sending it out to a retailer, where it sits, waiting for you to come in and buy it, you MIGHT have a one year old Glock. Some shops will have those pistols for a while longer before you come in and buy one.

Fret not though.

AK103K
May 29, 2010, 09:42 AM
Mine are date coded with a letter code (left side of both front and rear sights). This one says "AI, which would be "09".

The Lone Haranguer
May 29, 2010, 09:49 AM
Go into a closed darkened room and check them every so often. If or when they seem to be dim, replace them. I've had a couple of night sights outright fail, i.e., simply go out.

JoeMal
May 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
They can be refreshed by any good gunsmith for the right amount of money as well. Current going rate is about $100.00.... Might as well buy new then...

Does a 'refresh' get you as much life as a new set?

Nasty
May 29, 2010, 10:39 AM
Duh...look at them in a dark place. When you can no longer see them easily, have them replaced.

JoeMal
May 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
That's what I was talking about! Have a gunsmith install a new set for you. You didn't actually think.......never mind! Yes, I did think that. I don't know much about night sights, sue me.

bg226
May 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
I wanted to know if the dates were written on the sights themselves so I know how old they are. That's all...

Sometimes with used guns they have sights of unknown age just thrown on.

AK103K
May 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
Most all the night sights I've seen have the letter date code on them, or at least Trijicon and Meoprolight do. Glock does to it appears. The letters are small, but if you look, they are probably there.

basicblur
May 29, 2010, 02:53 PM
Might check out this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=521080)?

OP claimed Glock would replace dimmed night sights free (not a Glock fan, but I've never heard of this)-hard to believe?

Anywho-if you're going to have to pay, if you consider Trijicons, they have the date stamped on 'em, I have some that are 'bout 13 years old (dim, still useable, but they don't jump out at ya). Here's my notes on Trijicon charges for refreshing their sights:
12/11/09: Called customer service and was quoted the following prices:
Install replacement lamps for $18 each ($54 total). $54 includes return shipping. (they use the same sights, just "refresh" the tubes)

JoeMal
May 29, 2010, 04:17 PM
That's what I was talking about! Have a gunsmith install a new set for you. You didn't actually think.......never mind! they use the same sights, just "refresh" the tubesSounds like that wasn't so far fetched after all

AK103K
May 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ive never had very good luck trying to be cheap and resole boots and similar things. Somehow, knowing my luck, the replacement lamps would do me like those boots did. For the extra $15, I'll just put a new set on and be done with it. When you figure it all out over time, it only costs something like $6 a year per gun, $8 if you pay someone.

JoeMal
May 29, 2010, 05:29 PM
Ive never had very good luck trying to be cheap and resole boots and similar things. Somehow, knowing my luck, the replacement lamps would do me like those boots did. For the extra $15, I'll just put a new set on and be done with it. When you figure it all out over time, it only costs something like $6 a year per gun, $8 if you pay someone. I was going to say the exact same thing. You never get as much life out of 'it'

basicblur
May 29, 2010, 08:06 PM
OP will have to do the math and decide if he's better off installing new or going with refreshed units.
Normally I'm leery of refreshed/recycled/retreaded etc, but in the case of Trijicons I'm assuming you're getting new tubes pressed into your existing sights-I doubt they actually refresh your tubes (they probably get canned)? I'd bet there's not a bit of difference between refreshed and new.

Anywho-the price difference between refreshed and new starts to escalate if you have something like Novak sights etc instead of "bottom of the line" night sights.
I also didn't ask the Trijicon rep when I called, but if they do the work while the sights are on your slide (all you have to send is the slide), you shouldn't have the hassle of zeroing 'em-don't know if they remove the sights or not to do the refresh.
Another plus "should" be I'd think Trijicon has tons of experience installing/refreshing, and hopefully they have competent gunsmiths doing the work. I still see folks talking 'bout installing night sights with a hammer and punch-I wouldn't try it, and think Trijicon's site says if you do, you're on your own (no warranty)? If you know your gunsmith, at's fine, but there appear to be more folks making a living tearing things up than fixing 'em!

Anywho-my bed gun is an old Sigma with Novak style night sights, and rather than replace 'em (I'll get around to it later) I just put the money towards an SP2022-time to retire the Sigma from HD duty due to it's proprietary rail-got a Streamlight TLR-2S for my HD gun and it won't fit on the Sigma.

Yeah, didn't think you'd buy that story-I just wanted a new gun! :o

AK103K
May 29, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have a feeling they just chuck whats on there, slap a new set on and send it back. It just doesnt sound cost effective anyway you look at it, trying to replace the vials.

Figuring 100% mark up from them, to the seller, and the 100% more from the seller to you, probably works out to something like $15-20 a set for Trijicon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Night Sight Freshness." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!