1911 lockup

PDA

Grim Peeper
May 30, 2010, 11:23 PM
I was just wondering if it was normal or ok if in lock up position I can push down on the top of the barrel hood and have it move down a little and then it springs back up on its own. (Keep in mind im putting moderate pressure on the hood) Is this too loose for lockup it only moves about a 1/32 of an inch and then springs back up. The slide is a bit loose as well but I havent had any malfunctions with the pistol. Thanks for any input!

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 lockup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
May 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
I take it the whole slide/barrel assembly is moving...its normal for it to move some on a loose fitted pistol.

As to how much play is normal...I'll leave that for people who know more than me to answer.

1911Tuner
May 31, 2010, 05:53 AM
The barrel engages vertically, but locks horizontally with the lugs in opposition.

If the lower lug...and barrel...isn't solidly supported by the slidestop pin, the lug's rear radius will ride up on the pin a little and engage the barrel vertically a little higher than the lug's vertical dimension will provide. That leaves a slight gap between the bottom of the lug foot and the pin. When you press down on the barrel, it drops until it's stopped by the pin. .005 inch of drop only means that the barrel won't return to exactly the same place vertically between shots. As long as the lugs are vertically engaged far enough when the gun fires, it won't hurt anything as far as premature lug deformation goes, and only accuracy will be affected...normally showing up as a little vertical stringing.

How much stringing? If you use a sight radius to distance ratio...which at 25 yards is about 150 times the distance between the sights...for every .001 inch of variation, the point of impact shifts a little more than 1/8th inch. Since the barrel will ride up, that wiill never be the full difference of .005 inch...so you'll likely see no more than an average change in POI of around 1/4th inch due to mechanical variation. This is assuming that slide to frame...barrel to bushing...and slide to bushing fit are all closely held. The variations from those factors are aggegrate, and stack up to determine the intrinsic accuracy of the gun. The rest is determined by variations in ammunition and your shooting skill.

Grim Peeper
May 31, 2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys I feel alot more reassured now. Yes this just happens to be a looser 1911 esspecially more with the mag out and the hammer cocked back. It rocks a bit from side to side too but as long as im not doing any damage to the gun Ill just leave it as it is. How loose would you all say is just to loose? Keep in mind it is a new gun.

Johnny Guest
May 31, 2010, 08:31 AM
(Thanks, 'Tuner. :p )

That being the case, there's no use in leaving the thread open for more snide remarks [which have been deleted].

CLOSED

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 lockup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!