Glock iwb carry?

PDA

emilianoksa
May 31, 2010, 06:32 PM
How well does the tennifer finish on a Glock stand up to the salt in human sweat, when carried iwb next to the skin?

I tend to sweat a lot, but I don't produce the kind of intensely corrosive sweat that some people are unfortunate enough to suffer from.

Apparently, there are some people who only have to look at a gun to make it develop rust.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock iwb carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REAPER4206969
May 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
The Glock is 99.9% saltwater corrosion resistant. There is no other firearm that beats its corrosion resistance.

metalman8600
May 31, 2010, 06:58 PM
most holsters dont even keep the gun directly against skin.

AK103K
May 31, 2010, 07:38 PM
Apparently, there are some people who only have to look at a gun to make it develop rust.
I'm one of those people, and I sweat a lot. Glocks have been the only guns I've owned that havent rusted, well, thats not 100% true, they have rusted the least. For some reason, the finish on the slide stops has worn off and rusted on a couple of my guns.

With everything else, I stopped using leather IWB holsters due to the fact they would get soaked through and stay wet, and everything carried in them would rust. Other than Glocks, hard chrome slowed things down for the most part, but Kydex along with HC pretty much stopped it. Kydex holsters also out live leather buy a long shot, and even with the Glocks not rusting, I still use a kydex holster in the summer with them, even if its just for the holsters and my wallets sake.

Back in the 80's, I called Glock and asked if they would put the Tennifer finish on a couple of my other, non Glock pistols. The answer was no.

bigfatdave
May 31, 2010, 08:40 PM
Don't fool yourself, ALL carry guns get beat up, it is simply a matter of degree.

Glocks (and other guns using that type of finish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing)) stand up pretty well, but I'd think the holster design and maintenance would have more effect on the finish in the end with modern guns/finishes.

Kydex and thick leather to keep your sweat from the gun are good, if you have a sweat-impregnated piece of material today and sweat on it tomorrow you have twice-as-concentrated sweat, because the old salts are still there. I used a waxy preservative on the gun side of my CrossBreed SuperTuck, although I'm not very worried about soak-through of such a thick leather backer. Carry in a cheap nylon holster without a serious body-shield would be an entirely different proposition, of course.

Also remember that "Tenifer" is merely Glock's trade name for Salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing), Walther uses a similar process and so do others. Glock makes a very reliable pistol, but their marketing is the most amazing thing, I think.

Sapper771
May 31, 2010, 09:28 PM
I also sweat a lot. Most of my 1911s would show signs of rust after long days on the range or working on the farm. When I switched to Glocks, I never had that problem anymore, even after extended stays in high humidity and ocean side climates.

Weevil
May 31, 2010, 09:35 PM
Also remember that "Tenifer" is merely Glock's trade name for Salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing, Walther uses a similar process and so do others. Glock makes a very reliable pistol, but their marketing is the most amazing thing, I think.

Well let's be fair here.

Glock is the one who got the whole Tenifer thing started in the first place.

It was years later and after Glock had earned their reputation for being the best for corrosion resistance, that those other companies decided to jump on the bandwagon and offer the same sort of finish.

bigfatdave
May 31, 2010, 10:32 PM
Glock was hardly the first industrial facility to use a nitriding process.
I don't know if they were the first to use it in handguns, it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the first. But the treatment is older than the Glock company.

Weevil
May 31, 2010, 11:51 PM
Glock was hardly the first industrial facility to use a nitriding process.
I don't know if they were the first to use it in handguns, it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the first. But the treatment is older than the Glock company.

Yes I'm aware that Glock didn't invent the process.

However it didn't become the popular thing to do with pistols until after Glock introduced the process on guns.

And since we're nitpicking Tenifer in not Glock's trade name for the process as you stated in post #5.

Tenifer is a trademark registered to Durferrit GmbH of Manheim, Germany, not Glock.

http://durferrit.de/en/unternehmen/firmengeschichte.htm

Just in case you were wondering who did invent the process.

;)

Tacbandit
June 1, 2010, 01:18 AM
If you are asking about just carrying in your waistband, no holster...there are many who would tell you not to carry a Glock in that manner, as for safety sake. But then again, there are people who would say not to carry any gun in that fashion. As to the specific question, and I quote:"How well does the tennifer finish on a Glock stand up to the salt in human sweat, when carried iwb next to the skin?" The Glock finish will stand up to sweat as well or better than any other gun out there. That particular style of carry, without a holster will require that you regularly wipe that weapon down, and clean it regularly as well. I would at minimum, for inside the waist carry, try a thin holster like an Uncle Mikes, or something similar... :)
www.uncle-mikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html
Good luck

MYREDTAIL
June 1, 2010, 05:34 AM
I clean & use EEZOX on all of my firearms & fishing tackle stuff for years & never any sign's of rust or corrosion on anything, that I put the EEZOX on, On the leather holsters I use Kiwi netural shoe wax or any other brand will due, I apply it with a clean piece of tee shirt material & then let it dry a few minutes then buff it off with another tee shirt cloth & your leather holsters will be waterproff & will last a lifetime, & never use any oil's like neetsesfoot, mink oil, or any baseball glove conditioner on any of your good holsters as it will reuin them beyond repair. as they would change the color of the leather & make it too soft. :evil: PS You can use the wax on the inside of your holsters as well as it will not harm the gun's finish in any way.

sharpblade
June 1, 2010, 05:41 AM
I am an older guy and have carried concealed since 1995. In my experience the glock is less prone to rust than any other guns I have carried including stainless steel ones. I've had several stainless guns develope small rust stops on them but were easily cleaned off if caught early.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture321.jpg

Tacbandit
June 1, 2010, 02:11 PM
sharpblade ... nice holsters...! what kind are they?

sharpblade
June 1, 2010, 02:23 PM
Fist IWB
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture322.jpg

Full Metal Jacket
June 1, 2010, 02:46 PM
any carry gun should be wiped down on a daily, or at least weekly basis with oil, or a silicon impregnated cloth.

glocks are very rust resistant though.

Tacbandit
June 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
+ 1 on that, Full Metal Jacket ^^^^

sharpblade ... Thanks for the info...
Tac

ny32182
June 1, 2010, 05:16 PM
A long time ago I carried Sigs with a leather belt. They would develop rust in the grip screws, particularly.

Then I started carrying my G19 with the same leather belt. Shortly after that I spent a summer working mostly outdoors in Houston. The leather belt was completely ruined by sweat in the space of less than three months. I had had it for a while before that, and it was in fine shape when I went to Houston. That is how much MORE I was sweating on it than before. The Glock grip was all but dripping every day. I never located a single rust issue with it.

After that experience I upped "corrosion resistance" on my list of priorities with all carry gear. No more leather or weak finishes for me. Give me all the plastic and synthetic material I can get. The Glock passed with flying colors; I'm scared that my 228 may have been mostly an iron oxide brick by the end of that summer if it had been on my hip instead.

JDGray
June 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
Glock finishes hold up very well to holster wear, the best I've seen.

bigfatdave
June 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Are we talking about the Parkerizing or the finish under the parkerizing?

The Lone Haranguer
June 1, 2010, 08:16 PM
most holsters dont even keep the gun directly against skin.
If worn IWB without an undershirt, part of the slide can still contact skin. Also, in very hot or humid conditions, it is possible to sweat through some leather holsters. So the concern is real.

How well does the tennifer finish on a Glock stand up to the salt in human sweat, when carried iwb next to the skin?
Don't confuse the black coating on the slide with the Tenifer. The coating is exactly that; the Tenifer is actually a chemical surface hardening treatment. It is exceptionally resistant to corrosion, even surviving prolonged immersion in salt water. Even if the coating wore off, the metal underneath would be unchanged.

possum
June 2, 2010, 09:39 AM
with a glocks great finish, and a good holster, with a body shield you will be 100% good to go.

emilianoksa
June 2, 2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks again.

How does the Glock hold up to wear in a kydex or polymer holster?

Ben86
June 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
From my experience they have the best finish in the business. They are very corrosion resistant and the black finish holds up really well to, even with frequent holster practice in leather, nylon or plastic. That said I try to keep as much sweat off them as I can (cuz I love them so much) so I have an IWB holster that covers the length of the gun and I usually wear an undershirt to keep the exposed upper portion of the gun off of me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock iwb carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!