Why do I have to adjust the sights on one pistol, only?

PDA

dgray64
May 31, 2010, 10:55 PM
I shoot several pistols: Glock 17, Glock 37, XD40, Taurus PT101, PT145, CZ40B, CZ52. Anyway, after a lot of practice (fun), I'm pretty good with these. The sights are factory set out of the box and all put the rounds where aimed...except the 17. I've had to move the rear site way to the right so it's almost hanging off. Placed there it is dead on no matter where I put my trigger finger (tip or full finger). What would cause this in one gun? I think I'll have to find a Glockmeister (armorer) to look at it, but I'm really curious now. Thanks for any help with this.

Dave :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do I have to adjust the sights on one pistol, only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meytind
May 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
Might just be the way the gun naturally points in your hand. That's generally one of the top 3 reasons people hate on them. (The other two being aesthetics, and lack of a manual safety).

VA27
May 31, 2010, 11:35 PM
I bought my first Glock 17 in 1989 and I noticed the same thing. Since then I've instructed literally hundreds of people with Glocks of all models. My personal experience has been that a lot of folks have exactly the same problem. I don't know if it's the shape of the grip or the recoil dynamics of the polymer frame or a combination of the two, but it's quite common and nothing to worry about. Sight it in for you, shoot and enjoy!

railroader
June 1, 2010, 01:30 AM
Shoot it from a rest where you can hold it steady. You might find it's the gun. As for factory set to shoot to point of aim I don't know about that. I have bought a few guns that had the rear sight centered and didn't shoot to point of aim. I had to move them some. Mark

GRIZ22
June 1, 2010, 01:51 AM
I would not consider this unusual with a Glock 9mm. The agency I worked for adopted Glock 19s in the late 90s. I found just about all of them needed sight adjustment to the right. That was several hundred pistols I saw so it just wasn't a personal trait. Maybe for reasons given above. As long as you can get the sights adjusted withou hanging off the slide I wouldn't worry about it.

9mmepiphany
June 1, 2010, 02:07 AM
i'd think it would be more practical to shave the front sight and/or widen the rear notch than shifting your whole sight over

a thought as to a cause, if it isn't just the fit in your hand, would be the fit of the barrel

GRIZ22
June 1, 2010, 02:24 AM
i'd think it would be more practical to shave the front sight and/or widen the rear notch than shifting your whole sight over

The problem with that is if you screw it up you wind up having to buy new sights and start all over again. Much easier (and reversible) to drift the rear sight as the gun is designed for this.

GLOOB
June 1, 2010, 02:36 AM
I happen to shoot most of my pistols a hair to the left. (Which would be correctable by moving the rear sight to the right, if it were enough to be worth the bother.)

My G27 is one of those pistols. I shoot it just a shade to the left. Then I got a LWD 9mm conversion barrel for it. With the LWD barrel in it, it becomes my only pistol that I shoot a shade to the right. (And initially, it also appears to be horribly inaccurate in comparison to the stock barrel. But I've only tried 1 type of cheap ammo, so far.)

I noticed something the other day, while cleaning. Now, I don't know if it means anything. But I noticed that every single one of my gun barrels has a RH twist... except one. Any guesses on which one? :)

9mmepiphany
June 1, 2010, 03:13 AM
Much easier (and reversible) to drift the rear sight as the gun is designed for this.
I've had to move the rear site way to the right so it's almost hanging off

i don't think they were designed to move that far off center

dgray64
June 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't feel so bad now. I'll probably have it looked at if I can find a local Glock armorer, but won't be in a rush to do so. Anyway, my addiction hit again today. I ran across an EAA Witness Compact at one of the local pawn shops that hadn't been fired much and was reasonably priced, so....... I took it home and put 50 rounds through it. It shoots really well and it puts them on the paper plate where I aim it. Fun! Darn addiction!!

Dave

GRIZ22
June 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
i don't think they were designed to move that far off center

As long as its not hanging off what difference does it make?

JDGray
June 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
Shoot it with the other hand, and see if it shoots off in the other dirrection. The first time I shot a G17, it shot low left. After many rounds , it self corrected:)

GLOOB
June 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
What would cause this in one gun?
Check the crown for damage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do I have to adjust the sights on one pistol, only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!