Garage Sale guns

PDA

tuckerdog1
June 1, 2010, 09:23 AM
Stopped at a garage sale Saturday. I was the 1st one to hit it. And low & behold, the guy had several pistols & rifles out for sale. I always get there too late when guns are up for grabs at garage sales. But here they were, and I had 1st dibs. The prices were fair, but there was nothing I really wanted:(

I called my brother in Calif. to tell him my sad story. He reminded me out there, you won't find guns at garage sales:cuss: I guess it's better here:D

Tuckerdog1

If you enjoyed reading about "Garage Sale guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeMal
June 1, 2010, 09:32 AM
So what did he have?

jcwit
June 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
So where is here?

bannockburn
June 1, 2010, 09:41 AM
I have yet to see any guns at any of the garage sales I've been to. Mostly old golf clubs, softball bats, and unused exercise equipment as far as the sporting goods selection goes. Did pick up a bunch of bowling pins at one; still have a few left at my friends house. And while the local flea markets and swap meets usually have some guns for sale; well let's just say their idea of "good condition" and "fair prices" don't come anywhere near my definitions of those terms.

jnyork
June 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
Firearms, reloading equipment, etc are pretty common at yard sales here in Wyoming, you just have to get up early and get there early. :D I have done right well on several occasions at yard sales over the years, keeps me coming back every weekend.

Just One Shot
June 1, 2010, 11:30 AM
After reading a post somewhere where people were talking about garage sale guns that I started joining my wife at visiting a few.

I've never seen a gun for sale at a garage sale. I even started asking some of the people if they had any guns for sale. So far it hasn't worked out for me.

:(

Harley Rider 55
June 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
I've bought a number of firearms at garage sales.

Ala Dan
June 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
Ya'll please be careful when purchasing firearms from a yard sale; you never
can tell when BIG BROTHER is watching over your shoulder~! :scrutiny: :cuss:

Ruger Redhawk
June 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ala Dan, Correct me if I'm wrong. As long as you live in the same state as the seller for a handgun and doing a FTF it's completely legal. Some states require a buy permit or a valid CCW to be legal. As far as I know we haven't lost that right yet. I believe you can take possession of a long gun even if you live in a different state.

I know I've bought long guns from a dealer in a different state several times.

Ala Dan
June 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
Ruger Redhawk My Friend-

Sir, you are absolutely correct. Even FFL dealers cannot sell a handgun to
a non FFL individual who resides in another state; without doing the proper
FFL transfer~! ;)

*FWIW- we will not sell or ship any firearms to CA, MA, or New York City;
as there are just too many loop holes too have to jump thru~!! :eek: :cuss:

Ruger Redhawk
June 1, 2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Ala Dan.... I wasn't sure what you were getting at about Big Brother looking over your shoulder.As long as it's legal I don't care who sees what.

Thanks for your reply.

tuckerdog1
June 1, 2010, 05:07 PM
So what did he have?

A Bursa 380, Beretta Bobcat, Ruger 10/22 tactical. And a couple other old pistols and rifles I was unfamilar with. But none rang my bell.

So where is here?

Georgetown, TX.

Tuckerdog1

TNT in Round Rock
June 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
I'm 10 miles from Georgetown :( .. wish I could have seen that Ruger 10/22 ...

wishin
June 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
That's just my luck. I've been to countless garage sales with my wife, and find myself asking if they have any guy stuff such as tools, fishing gear, etc. To this day, no firearms have been for sale............

CoRoMo
June 1, 2010, 05:22 PM
I've only seen reloading equipment & components, but they were not selling at 'garage sale prices'. I got a good old bench grinder and a handful of wheels though. $17

oneounceload
June 1, 2010, 05:22 PM
I even started asking some of the people if they had any guns for sale.

Most folks won't have them out for display, but keep asking - many DO keep them out of sight until asked

welldoya
June 1, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm not a garage sale regular but have gotten lucky a couple of times. Probably 10 years ago I bought a nickel 1946 S&W pre-Model 10 in about 90% shape for $110. Another time I bought a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders in mint condition for $150.
Another time I was looking at a camo coat the guy had out and he asked me if I hunted. I told him yes and he said he had a case and barrel from a gun that got stolen. He brought out a barrel for a Browning B2000 and a Browning suitcase (with the "fur" inside) for a takedown shotgun. I gave him $60 for both.

jbkebert
June 1, 2010, 11:15 PM
I go to alot of garage sales several people have asked me what I am looking for. I always reply the same way. I am looking for old Lionel trains and old firearms. I am still amazed of how many mainly older folks just pop up and say. You know I do have a old box of trains or my late husband had a couple shotguns or rifles and the kids want nothing to do with them. If someone brings a item out I try and tell them what a fair value is. Not looking to rob anyone by any means. I did pick up a Winchester model 63 .22 rifle for $75 bucks. And a remington 1100 12 ga 1975 model for $50.

I have also gotten permission to hunt several farms due to asking the owners and taking a little time to speak with them. I love garage sales.

jakeiscrazy
June 2, 2010, 12:00 AM
I never see anything decent here in VA, much less guns. I don't go to many.

ants
June 2, 2010, 12:07 AM
Not looking to rob anyone by any means.
I did pick up a Winchester model 63 .22 rifle for $75 bucks.
And a Remington 1100 12 ga 1975 model for $50. I wonder what deals he would get if he DID take advantage of them. :p

I believe you are required to wear a mask when you buy a Rem 1100 for $50, as it is customary to do so when robbing 'em. :neener:

Excellent deals, jbkebert. I'm proud of you!!!

jbkebert
June 2, 2010, 12:16 AM
On the 63 I told the gentlemen that I would gladly give him $200 for it. He said no he just wanted it to go to someone that would take care of it and enjoy it. On the 1100 it was a widowed women that said she just wanted it gone. If someone asked me what's it worth I have always been honest with them. Even if its a gun that I want it ain't worth stealing it from someone that doesn't know. If that person is willing to sell it cheap after being informed who am I to deprive them of getting rid of those nasty guns.

I bought a sp01 from a guy and a .410 snakecharmer for little to nothing and have been hunting and fishing t his place for about 5 years now. I have also told a few folks the value of certain models of trains and they look at me like I am crazy. Had one man tell me who in there right mind would pay $900-$1100 for a engine and tender.

Trebor
June 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
Funny, I was just working on an article on this very topic after I found a Ruger Model 96 at a sale last weekend.

Here's the article I did for my Michigan Firearms Examiner column.

How to find firearms bargains at garage sales (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-46215-Michigan-Firearms-Examiner~y2010m6d2-How-to-find-firearms-bargains-at-garage-sales)

jbkebert
June 2, 2010, 10:43 PM
Your list of things to do really does work. I have bought around 15-16 guns at garage sales in the last few years. All I have to do is ask have had really good luck in rural areas. When I see a garge sale sign that says 3 miles this way down a dirt road. I make sure to go.

flyinrob
June 2, 2010, 11:21 PM
I have been to quite a few yard sales and I've never seen guns for sale. I have seen reloading equipment.

XxWINxX94
June 3, 2010, 12:33 AM
Hah! Here in C(r)ook County, I've never even seen a knife at a garage sale...

oldgold
June 3, 2010, 12:57 AM
When I see a garge sale sign that says 3 miles this way down a dirt road. I make sure to go.

Never had much luck in cities either but we haunt the back roads.

Bought a sporterized 7mm Mauser for $100. It had a set of Williams sight on it worth more than that.

Bought a NEF 12Ga that had only two shots through it, for $ 25.
Asked the people if they had any guns or such.

I've got around 50 airguns from yard sales.

Gotta go check the classifieds................

Hardtarget
June 3, 2010, 01:16 AM
Seems they think highly and dearly of every piece of rust when I go to a yard sale. I've never made that "great find"...but I'll still stop every so often. Might get lucky! :D

Mark

Jumping Frog
June 3, 2010, 09:26 AM
When I pull up to a garage sale, I simply ask, "Got any Guy stuff"? They usually respond with, "Like what?" I'll answer hunting, fishing, old guns, reloading, tools.

I do not waste time wading through all the decorative trinkets, old cruddy clothes, table cloth, lamps, etc.

rmfnla
June 3, 2010, 01:23 PM
Growing up in Miami I used to find good stuff at yard sales and swap meets. These days it seems people are more aware of what they have (& what it's worth); probably because of the Internet.

I blame Al Gore...

cambeul41
June 3, 2010, 01:34 PM
How to find firearms bargains at garage sales

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-46215-Michigan-Firearms-Examiner~y2010m6d2-How-to-find-firearms-bargains-at-garage-sales

larryflew
June 3, 2010, 04:16 PM
Sold a couple at my wife's garage sale 2 weeks ago. A 10/22 and a Glenfield semi auto 22 as well as a couple of co2 pistols.

Put pictures up just in case anyone was looking and got takers.

coosbaycreep
June 4, 2010, 03:20 AM
I've bought and sold several guns at garage sales, and won't even go to a garage sale unless I know they have guns or ammo, as I have no use for old junk like dirty furniture and baby clothes.

Sav .250
June 4, 2010, 08:00 AM
Every once in a while I come across a weapon of some sort at a garage sale but they are not what I`m looking for.
My focus is on ......fishing tackle. Old stuff. Busted/repairable stuff. Whatever. :)

gearchecker
June 4, 2010, 10:55 AM
It really happens, Here is a link to a Craig's list ad yesterday in Spokane, WA.
This guy was having a GUYS Sale and had 40+ guns for sale at his garage sale.
This was not a hoax listing either.
I got there at 9:00 in the morning and all of the guns were sold by then needless to say.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/gms/1773166396.html

It's all to common to see these sales almost weekly up here. I've never been lucky enough score on these yet.
My pastor picked up a revolver and 2 rifles a couple weeks ago from a yard sale just up the street form our church and a 1/2 bolck away from the towns elementary school. I guess since they weren't loaded the homeowner wasn't violating any of the local laws about being close to the school. I've always wondered about laws concerning owning guns in a house next door to a school.

Justin Holder
June 4, 2010, 01:08 PM
I saw a Desert Eagle 50AE at a garage sale once.
The guy wanted $1400 for it. :what:

SpamHandler
June 4, 2010, 10:58 PM
A few years back I got a Trap grade model '97 Winchester for $50 at a yard sale. Sure, it had about 2% original bluing and I don't expect to ever get such a great deal again, but I giggle like a little girl every time I think of my good fortune.:evil:

snowtigger
June 5, 2010, 05:06 AM
I've bought two Ruger three-screws at garage sales. The first was a 44 flattop for $400.00, the other was a 41mag. I sold it at a profit/

content
June 6, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // I tried this for an hour and a half Saturday (June 5th) starting at 6:45am.

I would grab a cheap tool or such and ask about something else in view, then ask about fishing/hunting stuff and bb guns or even real guns since it is legal.

First stop yielded a Daisy Red Ryder 1938B in rough shape and a 1500 count of bbs for $2.00. It worked on the first shot. At home, after a little oil and cleaning, I tried it from 15 feet and dead center. Everything feels solid too.

Next two stops nothing, but the forth yielded a Daisy Buck ,Model 105 B bb rifle that did not work but all it needed was a bit of oil and new bbs (the oxidation was bad on the old bbs) it shoots straight but weak and a Marksman repeater spring pistol. It shoots a foot high at fifteen feet so not very accurate and awkward to handle but it works, both in exc condition for $8.00.

Also at the forth stop a gentleman took my number so I can buy a Marlin 12ga., the gun store offered him $25.00 for. He has to retrive it from their beach place, I haven't seen it yet but it is a start.
At the last stop the lady said she would be back next week and would bring the guns her husband had to sell but first come first serve. She had no idea of the models but we will see.

This is already fun and I like to look for old games, tools ....at yard sales anyway.

desidog
June 6, 2010, 11:45 AM
Well, after reading this thread the other day I hit three garage sales yesterday. Struck out.

Officers'Wife
June 6, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should get hubby to read this and see if he changes his mind about taking me to garage sales more often. :)

content
August 28, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Took a while but my fourth time out yielded these for a good price.

Both fired a few times and put up.
The shotgun ,New England Firearms Pardner pump 1871 12ga. ,does not even have marks on the slide yet.

The Taurus PT-99 mags each hold 15 rounds and the cleaning brush is in the box with everything else. It looks as new also but has been fired a few times.

The ammo was a gift from a friend.;)

Deltaboy
August 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
As the Bible says ye have not because ye ask not!

hemiram
August 29, 2010, 03:30 AM
I've been to two garage sales where they were selling guns. The one had a couple of rusted up single shot .410 shotguns, and the other one had a Marlin lever actioned .22, don't remember the model. He wanted way too much for it, and I passed. It was really nice though. Other than those two, all I've ever seen are a few really old boxes of ammo, and a couple of grips for old H&R or IJ revolvers

jonmerritt
August 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
Guns at a garage sale here (SE Iowa) would bring out the city police, the sheriff, dea, swat, national guard, dot, and pretty much every other government office to look up your backside and accuse you of breaking the law.

MinnMooney
August 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
I have only seen one garage sale where a gun was for sale even though it's legal here in Minnesota. I've heard that if you ask at every one, you might get lucky.

Sock Puppet
August 29, 2010, 11:53 AM
I've seen plenty of rifles and pistols at yard sales in NM/CO/UT but I've never actually bought one there. The prices I've seen are generally fair used prices with some on the high side. I've never seen anything that's on the want list, or any true screaming deals.

Keb
August 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hmmm.

Unfired HK91 made 1981. Pristine S&W 27-2 made 1980. Perfect FN Arms D-guere 1935 Short Mauser.

content
August 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
No way to call my find top end, but an instant HD set up should be easy to sell or trade in the future.

I do ask at every yard sale.
I start with " I'm looking for camping --hunting-fishing stuff--BB guns -- even real gun are legal to sell here in S.C. if you have any.

Most do not, but some ladies will go look (husbands count your guns):D

This is the first time I saw one sitting out.
The shotgun was laying across a kitchen chair about 45feet from a four lane hwy and no more than two miles from a highway patrol station located on the same hwy.

I figured it was an airsoft at first but was happily surprised. I had seen the fellow having the yard sale at the local range, a mile past the hwy patrol station several times but did not know him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Garage Sale guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!