Remington Small pistol primers, anyone use them?

PDA

Rule3
June 5, 2010, 05:16 PM
I have used Win, CCI and Wolf Small PP. Never tried Remington. A few places have them in stock and just wondered how they compare to other primers. I do not have any guns with real light actions so I do not need soft Federal type primers. The Win and CCI have always worked. The Win are a little easier to insert. Do not know if the newer CCI are softer?
I can't find Win SPP anywhere on line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Small pistol primers, anyone use them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mongoose33
June 5, 2010, 06:43 PM
I've used them, they're fine. I'd buy 'em again. It's all about what's available and at what price.

GP100man
June 5, 2010, 07:41 PM
Rems are in between cci & win on the hardness in my exp.

docsleepy
June 5, 2010, 07:49 PM
been using them for 6 months, no failures in maybe 1200 primers.

ranger335v
June 5, 2010, 07:52 PM
"Remington Small pistol primers, anyone use them?"

Yes.

bds
June 5, 2010, 08:09 PM
I can't find Win SPP anywhere on line.
OCD1, Recob's Target Shop has CCI/Winchester LP/SP primers for $28/1000 - http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,193.html

alfack
June 6, 2010, 12:33 AM
Has anyone ever had a failure with any brand of primer? I'm curious, because I have used several different brands and never had one fail.

ir3e971
June 6, 2010, 01:13 AM
alfack,

You Asked,
"Has anyone ever had a failure with any brand of primer? I'm curious, because I have used several different brands and never had one fail."

Yes I have. Wolf Small Pistol. I had numerous failures to fire with these. There is a known problem with these, and there is a current thread about this. "Problems with Wolf SPP lot #18-09, lack of concern from Wolf" is the thread.

It is because they changed their production, and the new primer cups are to hard, I guess. Initially I thought is was a mechanical problem, and I took a number of steps to try to address it. (new springs, etc)

It was only with revolvers, they worked ok in semi-autos. However, I would not recommend them because of this.

Other than that, no failures of any other primers.

alfack
June 6, 2010, 01:29 AM
alfack,

You Asked,
"Has anyone ever had a failure with any brand of primer? I'm curious, because I have used several different brands and never had one fail."

Yes I have. Wolf Small Pistol. I had numerous failures to fire with these. There is a known problem with these, and there is a current thread about this. "Problems with Wolf SPP lot #18-09, lack of concern from Wolf" is the thread.

It is because they changed their production, and the new primer cups are to hard, I guess. Initially I thought is was a mechanical problem, and I took a number of steps to try to address it. (new springs, etc)

It was only with revolvers, they worked ok in semi-autos. However, I would not recommend them because of this.

Other than that, no failures of any other primers.
Hmm. I admit I have never tried Wolf primers before, never have seen them at the gun shops I frequent. Probly a good thing. I think I will avoid them. I hate it when you spend time diagnosing possible mechanical problems and it ends up being something else.

Good to know.

ArchAngelCD
June 6, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have used CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Magtech, PMC and Wolf primers and have never had a primer fail. The Wolf primers were a little hard to seat though.

I do prefer CCI and Winchester primers above all the rest.

Ky Larry
June 6, 2010, 07:09 AM
alfack, in over 35 years of reloading, I've had a few FTFire's. Only had one bad batch of primers and it happened recently. I bought 300 CCI LR primers. Two trays were fine but one tray with a different lot # had about 25 FTF's and the loads shot vertical strings. I still use CCI primers. One bad tray is possible given the tens of millions they turn out every year. I'm not surprised by a bad primer every now and them. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

ranger335v
June 6, 2010, 08:09 AM
In some 45 years of reloading I've had maybe a couple dozen FTFs. Think they were mostly my fault to properly seat 'em and some cast bullet experiments early on.

Haven't had a FTF in more than 30 years now, lucky I suppose. But, my loading has been limited to CCI, Alcan, Winchester, Remington and Federal and several hundered surplus WW II small pistol caps from an unnamed military arsenal.

TonyT
June 6, 2010, 10:35 AM
I have used Remington, Winchester and Federal primers for most of my life. Infrequently I have used CCI. They all have ignited. I have had only one ignition failure in 40+ years of relaoding and that primer cup did not have an anvil - the anvil must have droped out during the reloading process.

Rule3
June 6, 2010, 11:36 AM
I have never had a primer failure with Win and CCI primers. My first case of Wolf Large and Small pistol were also all good.

This second case of Wolf SPP that I am now using, first sleeve I have had 3-4 failures in my SW 686. Never had a problem with that gun. Tried in a SW M 66 and the same. Some of them would not even fire after 2-3 strikes.

Lot 18-09.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Small pistol primers, anyone use them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!