St. Louis Gun Shops

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

David Scott
December 26, 2002, 04:18 PM
Can anyone recommend a good gun shop in St. Louis, MO? My son is looking to buy a home defense handgun and wants to find someplace with good selection, intelligent staff and non-ripoff prices.

Also any good ranges that rent handguns, please.

If you enjoyed reading about "St. Louis Gun Shops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shootist2121
December 26, 2002, 05:58 PM
I've had very good luck with Nassau Sporting Goods In St. Charles and also with the new owners of Mikes Guns, also of St. Charles. Off of Highway 94 .

Good Luck:cool: :cool:

BADSBSNF81
December 27, 2002, 02:25 AM
Nothing but good things to say about Nassau. I've used them before and after they moved to St. Charles. Nassau also carries a good selection of books.

shootist2121
December 27, 2002, 12:32 PM
David
I also forgot to mention "Bullseye" Range down on Market by Kingshighway. Nice 25 yd indoor range with rental guns glocks, kimbers, smith and several 22's. Also availible are several full auto rentals too.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

El Tejon
December 27, 2002, 01:00 PM
Gentlemen, flying from Lafayette to St. Louis then to Tejas. Have a couple hour delay that I could use to chat up the young & nubile at Starbuck's, however . . .

How far is St. Charles from the airport? Can I get a cab out there and back?

dfariswheel
December 27, 2002, 07:28 PM
El Tejon:

Yes you can get to St Charles by cab.
The airport is in extreme North East St. Louis county right on Interstate 70. It's a straight shot West on 70, across the Missouri river and you're in St. Charles.

Another good St. Louis gun shop is Mid-City Gun And Coin on St. Charles Rock Road in St. Louis county. This is Jeff Faintech's little strip mall store.
Faintech is one of America's biggest Colt experts and collectors. He and two or three others started the Colt Collectors Association.
It's a small store, but you never can tell what you'll find there.

El Tejon
December 27, 2002, 07:58 PM
dfariswheel, thanks much.

Nando Aqui
December 27, 2002, 09:20 PM
Mike's Gun Shop, as mentioned above. Tel: 636-949-8764 One of the best selections anywhere (for all types of guns) and a square deal every time. (Closed Mondays.)

Mike's is at 1964 Old Hwy 94 (small road), across Hwy 94/First Capitol Drive (big road) from the Weherenberg St. Charles-18 theater. It is difficult to see Mike's from Hwy 94, but it is easy to see the theater. [The theater is on Bluestone Dr. which parallels 94 on its South side; the gun shop is on Old Hwy 94, which parallels 94 on its North side. Pralle Lane intersects 94 and both 'outer roads' just West of the theater and the gun shop. There is a stop light at Pralle.]

Confused? Sorry... good luck!

Alex

PS. I have no connection whatsoever with Mike's - I just buy my guns there - most of the time.

CZguy
September 24, 2005, 11:59 PM
I'm familiar with all the stores listed above, and at one time or another have done business with all of them. I do however, cast my vote for Mike's guns. Mike has a great selection and the best prices in town.

("PS. I have no connection whatsoever with Mike's - I just buy my guns there - most of the time.")

Like Alex I don't have any connection with Mike's.

Jeff White
September 25, 2005, 06:47 AM
El Tejon,
What day are you coming into town? I could meet you at the airport and run you out to St Charles, combine it with a visit to my mothers in Belleville. I'm working power shift the next few weeks so my afternoons are free.

Jeff

bogie
September 25, 2005, 10:15 AM
I'd go to Mid-City.

I won't buy stuff at Nassau. Those folks sell racist literature at gun shows. So they don't get my money.

Primersinmyshoe
September 25, 2005, 01:02 PM
To correct a previous post: The Bull's Eye Range is on Manchester, just west of Kingshighway. The address is 5100 Manchester. It's the only range/gun shop in the city, the others are in the surrounding counties.

joachim slim
September 25, 2005, 01:51 PM
i myself have been to numerous gunshops in the st. louis and st. charles area. i really like dealing with denny dennis in fenton. their phone number is 636-343-9447

mountaindrew
September 26, 2005, 10:36 AM
I would second (or fouth or whetever) Mikes in St. Charles. I live in south St. louis County and drive the extra mile. they have good selection and very fair prices. Mid City is alright, but a little steep on the prices. I Have done alot of business with Denny Dennis in Fenton and have been very satisfied. I Usually buy used guns at Mikes, And I order New guns at Denny Dennis. If you are in south or mid county, Denny Dennis is much closer.

P.S> bogie, can you elaborate on you claim about Nassau? Becauae I do consider such things when choosing stores to spend my money.
I have never bought anything at Nassau because they are much more expensive than Mikes down the street.

hso
September 26, 2005, 10:49 AM
ElT,

I don't remember the name, but there was this amazing gunshop near the airport (at least there was 7 years ago) that was a Colt collector's dream. It was across from the WalMart and beside the Picadilly Cafeteria and is a narrow building with the standard 2 plate glass windows and glass door front. The counters ran in a continuous "U" with the entrance in the mouth of the "U' and the cases were literally full of guns. The early guns started on the left as you came in and worked their way up the years as you went clock-wise. They had Colts from the 1800s all the way to the present and it was like a museum that you could purchase (if you had enough money) almost everything they had. The inventory included general officer's issue .32 and .380 Colt 1903s with box and all the paperwork! :what:

DFW, Bogie, any idea what this shop goes by? Is that Mid West?

KaceCoyote
September 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Mike in St.Charles, who runs St.Louis Arms is the -only- guy I do any business with. He takes care of me, prices are very reasonable and he's a pretty nice guy to boot. I'm a 20yr old College student and most dealers dont allow me to fondle toys which I cannot afford, Mike has won my loyalty showing me cool stuff irreguardless of how much money I have on hand. Awesome guy.

Go talk to Mike, you wont regret it! St.Louis Arms (http://www.saintlouisarms.com/)

a1abdj
September 26, 2005, 11:08 AM
I don't remember the name, but there was this amazing gunshop near the airport (at least there was 7 years ago) that was a Colt collector's dream. It was across from the WalMart and beside the Picadilly Cafeteria and is a narrow building with the standard 2 plate glass windows and glass door front.

That's Mid-City. Mid-City is probably less than a 5 minute drive from the baggage claim at the airport.

I'd also go to Mike's anyday instead of Nassau. I've never really liked the attitudes of the owners of Nassau.

KaceCoyote
September 26, 2005, 11:12 AM
I'd be glad to drive El Tejon to St.Louis arms, aswell as Mike's guns if I dont have work..or school..or its so nice that I have to go shooting...or dont get drafted to mow the lawn...

anyway, El Tejon...what day you coming in?

vasilia zheitseva
September 26, 2005, 11:34 AM
1) Mike's Guns on 94 in St. Charles (grin, just saw him at breakfast yesterday a.m. with the missus at a local IHOP!)
2) Nassau in St. Peters
3) C&S metalwerks off 94
4) Graf's Reloading in St. Charles is an interesting hit for ammo reloading, but not much for guns.
5) Denny Dennis in South County
6) Gateway Outfitters (used to be Dunn's) - not a huge selection, but decent service. - in St. Charles.
7) Midwest collectors in St. Ann is a hole in the wall, but the guy really does know his colts, as mentioned in a prior post! very close to Lambert airfield.

St. Charles & St. Peters are about 17-20 miles from the airport. You're looking at a 15 minute trip for anywhere from $18 to $30, depending on the cab service. St. Charles yellow cab - 636-724-1234.

There are usually 'gun shows' or 'military collectibles shows' this time of year in Missouri; keep an eye on on the web, or check the local paper. Warning: "caveat emptor" (hopefully my latin is not too rusty, folks)

I recommend looking around when travelling - I recently acquired a superb colt match target ar15 while involved with a relief effort in the south.

CZguy
September 26, 2005, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE]I don't remember the name, but there was this amazing gunshop near the airport (at least there was 7 years ago) that was a Colt collector's dream. It was across from the WalMart and beside the Picadilly Cafeteria and is a narrow building with the standard 2 plate glass windows and glass door front.

It sounds like it could be Trail Creek Trading Co. They are close to the airport.

http://trailcreektrade.com/

hso
September 26, 2005, 11:51 AM
ElT,

If you've only got a few hours then you really need to see Mid West City. Sorry, St. Louis folks, but I was very impressed with the breadth and depth of Colts in this place and should I get back there it's the first place after I checkin that I intend to go (then I'll visit all the other places).

TheEgg
September 26, 2005, 01:23 PM
This thread is from 2002.

Sort of a Living Dead thing going on here?

KaceCoyote
September 26, 2005, 01:24 PM
Holy crap, It is!

fistful
September 26, 2005, 01:36 PM
Well, it's a good thing we jumped on that one!

bogie, what shows have you seen them at? I'd like to see for myself.

bobhaverford
September 26, 2005, 05:27 PM
Just got back from Nassau's today and found their attitude not to my liking. I haven't been to Mike's but I'm going to go tomorrow and try them out. Mid America Arms is nice and decent prices.

rot13enatre
September 26, 2005, 07:04 PM
Old thread, but timely material. I had the same experience with Nassau last week. Always dissappointing when a gunshop has too much attitude. Oh well, vote with your wallet.

MDG1976
September 26, 2005, 07:33 PM
Mid America Arms is my favorite shop in St Louis. Not a huge selection, but very freindly and knowledgable staff and fair prices.
Mid America Arms (http://www.midamericaarms.com/)

Hollywood_Heat
December 1, 2005, 12:28 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how's the military surplus selection at Mike's Guns? Specifically for Yugo SKSes, Mosin, and stuff like that? I live in Illinois and our selection in this area is limited to be generous for military surplus rifles. I'm usually in St. Charles every couple of weeks to shoot at the August Busch Memorial Range so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to check out Mike's. Are they open on Saturday? Now the big one, is it legal for someone in Illinois to buy long arms in Missouri and bring them back home to Illinois? Thanks for any info.

ajax
December 1, 2005, 12:40 AM
Hollywood I was wondering if you have been to any of the shops in Mount Vernon. Ron and Jo's in fairview heights has got me all my Mosin's and Yugo's.

Hollywood_Heat
December 1, 2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I've been to Ron and Jo's frequently. I bought an excellent M59/66 from them ato $175 OTD. They're an okay store and I don't mind buying from them but their military surplus selection is somewhat limited and plus in Illinois we have that lame waiting period.

Has anyone ever been to the Bel-Aire Pawn Shop in Collinsville? Any good milsurps there? I was planning on giong up there tomorrow to satisfy my curiousity but if there's nothing good, I won't bother.

CZguy
December 1, 2005, 02:05 AM
Mike's has a pretty small selection of Military firearms.

Nassau's has a slightly better selection, but not as good prices.

sobrespetsnaz
November 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
I guess I am the only one who prefers Nassau over Mike's. I had a lot of problems with the employee's attitude at Mike's. I guess if I had been older or looked like a redneck they may not have talked down to me as if I was scum.

However I have never had anything close to that happen at Nassau. All the employee's made me feel comfortable. I even had one guy talk to me like I had been coming there for years even though that had been my first time in there. Perhaps Nassau is a little more pricey then Mike's but Id rather spend a few more dollars to not be talked down to because of how old I look.

ShunZu
November 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
Cabela's (St. Charles, just west of I-270 on I-370) has a very good selection. They ALSO have one of the biggest USED guns displays anywhere. It's like going to a very nice gun show. :)

22-rimfire
November 11, 2007, 12:48 PM
I would love to visit Mid-City Gun And Coin just for old times sake. I miss Jeff Faintich. The good ones die young. His tables were my absolute favorite stop at shows they did before they went the auction route. Yes, I've given Jeff a lot of money. It was nice to be greeted by name at shows. I still have a chocolate bar (with Colt logo) that he sent me years ago in the frig. I just can't part with it. It has survived two moves.

CZguy
November 12, 2007, 11:23 AM
Cabela's (St. Charles, just west of I-270 on I-370) has a very good selection. They ALSO have one of the biggest USED guns displays anywhere. It's like going to a very nice gun show.

Unfortunately they have inflated the prices on used gun's by around ninety percent. I agree that they have a very good selection though.

Red Tornado
November 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
It's baaaaaaccckkkk! Every two years, just like clockwork. :neener:

El Tejon,
We've been in suspense for years...how was your trip through StL? This thread cannot die, and it's soul cannot find rest, until we know of your trip through our beautiful state. Tell us, and let the thread find peace. :)
RT

El Tejon
November 12, 2007, 12:44 PM
Really bad thunderstorms, but I made it to Texas and back via Saint Louis. Did not get to look around as I was delayed by the weather.

Un Tejon en Tejas=>http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=18068

Archer1945
November 12, 2007, 01:52 PM
For those that are new to this forum one of the best gun shops in the area and the only one with well over 100 rental guns, all types from .22 handguns and rifles up thru full-auto, is Belleville Shooting Range in Belleville, IL, http://www.bsrgunshop.com/. Excellent 8 lane, 25 yard indoor range and very knowledgeable staff.

No, I'm not an employee, at least not officially; :D just spend a lot of money and a great deal of ammo there. I'd buy all my guns there if it wasn't for the problem, and extra cost, of finding a way to transfer them to MO. Steve has the best prices on the best selection of guns in the area.

Soybomb
November 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
Nice thread guys, lots of good info here.

For those that are new to this forum one of the best gun shops in the area and the only one with well over 100 rental guns, all types from .22 handguns and rifles up thru full-auto, is Belleville Shooting Range in Belleville, IL, http://www.bsrgunshop.com/. Excellent 8 lane, 25 yard indoor range and very knowledgeable staff.
Yikes, I've got to disagree with you on that. The prices are a bit high but my primary issue is the staff. When I go in to shoot or shop its like pulling teeth to get to the staff to quit talking to each other for a minute to help me out. They have consistently made me feel like they're doing me a favor by serving me. I'm glad your experience is better than mine, but I say shooter beware.

outdoorman63
November 18, 2007, 10:43 PM
i have a comment about Nassau in St Charles, i had good luck with them a few times on cash purchases but i went in there over the weekend and wanted to trade my Glock 23 and 4 mags in on a Glock 19, there offer for trade was $250.."thats an insult".and they had the nerve to tell me they couldnt sell used ones for anything but they had just sold one for 450 right in front of me..thats 200 profit plus what they would of got for my mags, when i mentioned i had spent $2000 in there in the last 60 days it was oh well that was then this is now.....what an attitude for business, they get no more of my business that is for sure

bogie
November 18, 2007, 11:53 PM
I haven't given Nassau any money since they were selling crap like the Turner Diaries stuff at gun shows...

If anyone goes to Bullseye, make sure you notice how their sign is misspelled, and suggest that they give an outfit called www.creativeaccuracy.com a call... The dang thing just doesn't look perfessional...

furyalecto
November 20, 2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the head's up on the Belleville Shooting Range. The local ranges have a limited selection of rental guns. I may have to make a road trip in the near future.

ShunZu
November 20, 2007, 01:25 AM
Range in Belleville, IL, http://www.bsrgunshop.com/. Excellent 8 lane, 25 yard indoor range and very knowledgeable staff.

Yikes, I've got to disagree with you on that. The prices are a bit high but my primary issue is the staff.

DITTO! I have 2 good friends that have been verbally abused by one specific employee there. The employee is an ex-cop and DEFINATELY has an attitude... no need to go in to ugly details, but I know over 20 people in our local sportsmen's club (close to Belleville) that will never set foot in the place. Their prices are not any better than anyone else in the area, their ammo and accessories are higher, and I can't think of one good reason to go shoot indoors (close range) with lead vapors floating around when I can shoot outside. Let the business die a natural death. I always vote with my wallet. I'd rather overpay at Curt Smith's. :)

tskinny
November 20, 2007, 02:33 PM
I like Top Gun off highway 55 right there on Imperial Main Street. Best prices I've seen anywhere, and the outfit running it are top notch. Very friendly and can answer pretty much any question you have.

markwms
February 8, 2008, 01:32 AM
I've been pondering a purchase of a handgun for home protection and occasional shooting and was curious if most of the gun shop recommendations from this thread are still valid?

I've deduced that:
1. Mike's Gun shop seems to be most folks first choice for price and service.
2. Nassau is decent, but can be racist and might have an attitude.
3. Mid-City is good, but the price might be steep.
4. Denny Dennis is good service and a good fit for anyone in South County.

Is that right, or does anyone else have anything to add?

What about St. Louis Arms, Mid America Arms and Bull's Eye? Thoughts on those? (or did I miss them)

Also I'd love to take a training course after purchase (or before) so if anyone has any recommendations on who might offer the best course, I'd love to hear it.

And finally, if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion for what I should look for in a first gun, please let me know.

Sorry if this is all too much for one post in a 6 year old thread!

CZguy
February 8, 2008, 02:45 AM
I've deduced that:

I've deduced that:
That's where I go first.
He is pretty moody. And it's not getting better as he ages. :D
Very true.
Yep.

Nonsense. :D

By the way markwms, welcome to the high road. :)

mhillsing23
February 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
I live towards the south side. I LOVE Denny Dennis. TopGun is pretty good. There is also Dunn's even further south and they are good too.

tbone3
February 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
Add another vote for Mike's Guns. Good prices, good selection, and really nice staff. What's not to like?

Technosavant
February 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
I've been pondering a purchase of a handgun for home protection and occasional shooting and was curious if most of the gun shop recommendations from this thread are still valid?

I've deduced that:

Is that right, or does anyone else have anything to add?

What about St. Louis Arms, Mid America Arms and Bull's Eye? Thoughts on those? (or did I miss them)

Also I'd love to take a training course after purchase (or before) so if anyone has any recommendations on who might offer the best course, I'd love to hear it.

And finally, if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion for what I should look for in a first gun, please let me know.

While Mike's tends to have a decent selection and prices, I always felt "out of place" there. Less attitude than Nassau, but not by leaps and bounds. Mid-America Arms is good from what I hear. Bulls Eye is more of a range than anything else- really not much selection there at all (I was there using the range yesterday). Top Gun down in Imperial on I-55 has good selection and help, but is a fair piece of driving if you don't live in South County.

Personally, I go to On Target in Valley Park (yes, that's a ways, but to me it is worth driving 30 minutes for it, where Mikes is only 5 minutes away and Nassau is 7). Selection is good, prices are slightly higher, but it is the type of gun shop I have read about on here but never had found before- the sort where there's a bunch of guys just standing around and BSing, but without a lot of inaccurate info. Very friendly, very good. They have everything from the less expensive Taurii and Kel-Tecs to the kilobuck range guns. Definitely worth a look; I'll actually be hanging out there this afternoon for a bit.

CZguy
February 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
While Mike's tends to have a decent selection and prices, I always felt "out of place" there. Less attitude than Nassau, but not by leaps and bounds.

I guess opinions will vary. I go in to Mike's looking for a gun, but wind up staying for awhile just for the conversation. :)

bhk
February 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
Mike's is always my first choice too. I think the prices are good and the folks are honest. I once watched a guy come in to sell (to the store) three guns he had inherited. Mike asked him what he wanted for them and the guy gave him a figure. Mike, without batting an eye, said that was not near what they were worth and then offered a fair price. Some places would not have done that.

Bostekrisco
February 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
He is pretty moody. And it's not getting better as he ages.

If by "he" you're referring to Carl, he's actually dead. His wife is running it now and it seems like the number of guns in stock is down. Nothing concrete I can put my finger on but it seems she doesn't like the gun bidness like he did.

FWIW, I've had mixed experience with Mike's. I went in looking once and he was very helpful. I went in another time and bought a pistol and again, very helpful and a fair price. While there that time he found out I had some milsurp ammo he was interested in and asked me to bring it in. He wasn't nearly as friendly when I came back. To be fair he was kind of busy.

I had a really good expereince with Trail Creek Trade (the old Mid City). I took several guns of my fathers in there for an appraisal and they spent over an hour going through them and wouldn't take any money for their time. All he asked was first crack at a few he was interested in if I ever decide to sell them. On the other hand they were way high when I priced an M&P 9 with them

CZguy
February 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
If by "he" you're referring to Carl, he's actually dead. His wife is running it now and it seems like the number of guns in stock is down. Nothing concrete I can put my finger on but it seems she doesn't like the gun bidness like he did.

Was Carl around fifty, and a heavy smoker?

Bostekrisco
February 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
Was Carl around fifty, and a heavy smoker?

I don't want to give the impression I knew him real well, other than buying a couple of guns during a half dozen visits or so over the years. I seem to remember him saying something about being in Vietnam, which would put him in his late 50's and up. I would guess early 60's. I don't remember a time being in there when he wasn't smoking.

CZguy
February 8, 2008, 07:25 PM
I don't want to give the impression I knew him real well, other than buying a couple of guns during a half dozen visits or so over the years. I seem to remember him saying something about being in Vietnam, which would put him in his late 50's and up. I would guess early 60's. I don't remember a time being in there when he wasn't smoking.

Thanks, now I know who you mean. Anything I was going to say-----well there's just no need to say it now. May he rest in peace.

duc
March 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
Although I found them helpful in talking guns and gun education on one occasion, I've since found them to have way too much attitude and not enough interest in actually selling a gun. Its worth stopping in to actually handle a gun or use the range, but I would never buy anything from them - certainly not from Pierce Smith. The range is small and usually pretty busy - expect to wait quite a while unless you come early or call ahead to see how busy they are. You'll want to go during the daylight anyway..

I have purchased from Midamerica http://www.midamericaarms.com/ and used them as a transfer ffl. I've found them to be intelligent, helpful and genuinely nice folks to deal with. No hassle and great service -- can't ask for much else. I will more than likely buy my next pistol from them in the next couple weeks. I've been in to denny dennis and found their service to be spotty at best. Slow, sometimes not much knowledge on the guns they had and really sketchy on availability and pricing. Nice folks otherwise and nice shop.

Thanks,
Mike

MDG1976
April 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
Mike's gets my vote. Good selection, friendly service, and good prices.
Mid America is good too if you're in SoCo.

Superlite27
April 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
Either Gateway Outfitters in St. Charles or TOP GUN in Imperial. Doug Smith at Gateway always makes you feel welcome and will never have a problem ordering something obscure.

I have never received better service than at TOP GUN in Imperial, MO. These guys will drop what they're doing to assist you and will never talk down, or act condescending. I think they actually enjoy waiting on customers. At least they make me feel that way. They're mostly geared towards handguns, but they do have several cases of long guns.

As for Mike's, I've never been there, but after reading this: http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I don't think I will.

Technosavant
April 28, 2008, 07:40 PM
Good update on Mike's from MO Carry. I forgot to mention that.

PsyDocHill
June 21, 2008, 03:37 PM
Please bear with me: It seems that my original msg got triplicated. Sorry.

PsyDocHill
June 21, 2008, 04:25 PM
Y'all:

I moved up to Missouri from extreme southeastern Kentucky very recently, and I was a bit (very, really) worried about certain ramifications of the move northwestward, especially when I-64 crossed IL (as it always does). Happily, I am finding this to be a great place for me both personally and professionally. The nearby Ozarks remind me of home and have their own distinct appeal. My area of domicile is beautiful, the air is fresh, and the top-hospitals are as good as Johns Hopkins (in Maryland *shudder) et al., where I did a few rotations. People are by and large friendly, proud-yet-humble and down-to-earth, to make a sweeping generalization. The climate is interesting: True 4-seasons. And the politics are gun-friendly, for the Midwest. And to think that I did so much of my clinical training in neighbouring Illinois. I'll say no more: Missouri is a different country, for which I am supremely grateful. I'm sure its "Border State" history might have much to do with a lot of what I find appealing here.

So far, this being my first day of membership, I am finding here a great, comprehensive forum with many thoughtful people that give/should give our sacred RKBA a good name--Highroad.org indeed. It saddens me to visit other forums that are filled with those who taint our mission and beliefs with hatred and other un-American ugliness. I quickly leave, disgusted. I wish they would evaporate but this is not a perfect world. Eventually, according to my beliefs, we will all be held accountable by God for, well, everything. Again, according to my beliefs, God is especially angered by those who hate others created in His own image. Doesn't even basic human decency endorse this?

RKBA is as American as our flag. As a combat veteran, a man who knows what responsibly and righteously used firearms can do in the defense of our nation, I wish to see this site's cause unite rather than divide citizens of the USA. I have treated rape survivors: RKBA often became an interest of theirs as they struggled to rebuild their shattered lives. Politics didn't mean a thing to them w/Re to RKBA, even for those whose beliefs were extremely leftist: They understood that good people should have access to the tools that can effectively stop evil thugs. Simple. I have treated fellow veterans struggling with PTSD who are humiliated by their state's disgusting treatment of our Constitution and of them: They were good enough to take up the most powerful arms overseas, but now they cannot own a puny handgun to defend their homes... Despicable.

I hope I enjoy my stay here. Be well, all of you, even the haters. And I will NOT frequent the gunshops that DARE to espouse hate (thank you to the MO members who identified those miscreants). They are a disgrace and let our Lord sort them out when their time comes. Nor will I waste my time @ the shops that have a reputation of treating customers (esp. young ones, it seems) with disrespect. Let them declare Chapter 11.

PressCheck
June 21, 2008, 04:50 PM
Dewey's - Hands Down.

PsyDocHill
June 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
Prices, @ least those advertised on-line for revolvers (I dig those), seem to be much lower @ Mike's in comparison to many. He charges for the gun and MO tax. That's it: No phony tack-ons. Looking for a GP100, I found that his price blew the competition out of the water. But I'm new to this fine state, so perhaps there are even more wonderful shops to be found.

As far as feeling @ ease in one store or another, that can very well be a function of highly personal variables, say, more a function of personal fit, you know, like hating a social gathering that your date is finding just peachy. Definitely: Book if you're being treated oddly/with utter disrespect. Heck, book if you just don't feel right. I would. It's our money! Let them earn our biz.

But as far as those "champions" of RKBA who have FFLs and dare to sell and distribute neo-Nazi lit (and other screeds), it would stand to reason that they would not be nice: The Nazis were our enemies in WWII, as we know (except for the traitors who supported them while our boys were dying), and they were very very mean. They were so obsessed with killing civilians that they spent most of their wartime money on just that. Their hatred was so absolutely rabid that they kicked out of Deutschland the very scientists who helped us beat the Axis. Thank you, Nazis, for helping us win the arms-race! Of course you know all of this. And you know that they committed genocide all over Europe. Deny that and you might as well deny that you exist (perhaps you don't).

I fought for my country and soaked up merely one piece of shrapnel @ the base of my neck, dodging everything else (you don't really dodge bullets and mortars, but we liked to think that we could)... Yes, I went after the colleagues of the dogs that blew up the WTC and the tube and buses in London. We had a great time taking care of the scumballs, even though fighting is terrifying. You're hiding something if you deny that.

Then in OUR USA, a neo-Nazi nearly killed me because he had a killing quota to fill for his awful "org." I don't need any body-art: I've got a cool collection of exit and entry scars. And, no, I do not set off metal detectors. Myths.

GingerGuy
June 22, 2008, 09:43 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/GingerGuy_photos/Belleville%20Shooting%20Range/BelllevilleShootingRange002.jpg
20 minutes from the Arch and they have a great selection of everything.
Belleville, IL

Pumpkinheaver
June 22, 2008, 11:38 AM
Top gun in Imperial is a great shop. On target in fenton is a good one too.

papajohn
June 22, 2008, 12:27 PM
After spending several years in Illinausea before moving back to Misery, I'm a little out of touch on the St Louis gunshop scene, but here's my take...............

Nassau: Charlie The Snake is gone, but I still won't bother with them. Every time I went in there I got told what I needed, not asked, and they tried to sell me some crummy Kydex holsters at inflated prices.

Dunn's: No bad experiences there, fair prices. Out of my neighborhood and out of the way for me, or I'd go there more often.

Cabela's: Avoid the used guns like the plague, WAY overpriced, and shop carefully with the new stuff. Caveat Emptor.

Bass Pro: Some deals here and there, but Caveat Emptor also applies here. Some of their salesfolk are major arrogant jerks, and will call you a liar if you say something they don't agree with. Mostly the young ones. I don't bother going there anymore.

Mid-City: Good shop, but prices can vary. I've bought at least a dozen guns there, got good deals on most, but I'm a careful shopper. Found a few bargains there, and Greg (the tall one) is VERY knowledgeable on the older stuff, as mentioned.

On Target: Great people, fair prices. I've bought several there, and will likely go there first next time I'm in the market for a handgun.

Graf's: Mostly a reloading store (I'm in there several times a month) but they also have some long and short guns for sale, prices aren't great but not awful either. They occasionally have guns you don't see often.......usually when I'm broke.

Mike's: Never been, sounds like I need to go!

Denny Dennis: Snobby clerks for the most part, but a good selection and SOME decent prices. Shop around before you go there.

There are a few others, but I don't have enough experience with them to have a solid opinion.

An Aside: Nassau was located in Pagedale for many years before they moved west, not a very nice part of town. They took their broken boxes of ammo and dumped them into bins, segregated by caliber, and charged $1 a round. If you bought a .38, they'd sell you a cylinder-full of ammo for $6.

I was in there shortly after the New Year started (in about 1985), and the clerk I knew told me that the week before, they'd sold $5,000 worth of pistol ammo to the locals, at a buck a pop, in one day. I'm glad I wasn't anywhere near Pagedale that night at midnight! :eek:

Papajohn

bogie
June 22, 2008, 04:28 PM
Ever notice how when they were in Pagedale, when you went in the front door, the guy in the back always walked to the same place at the counter? I'm guessing they had one hella alley broom under that counter...

Technosavant
June 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
Mike's: Never been, sounds like I need to go!

Keep in mind that Mike refuses to sell certain guns (FN PS90) to "civilians" because "it can pierce law enforcement body armor." He seems to not notice that it is only certain ammo (which we can't buy due to fed law), and that the ARs, AKs, and hunting rifles he sells will punch through body armor even more easily. I don't need low prices badly enough to patronize somebody who only views the right to keep and bear arms as fully applying to only certain parts of the populace.

velobard
June 23, 2008, 12:26 AM
Top Gun in Imperial gets most of my business and has good folks behind the counter for the most part.

I've only bought a mag from Mid-America, but they seem decent and when the mag had a problem they offered a replacement.

Trail Creek Trading in St Ann has a good reputation, fair prices, and a great selection of older stuff, with the knowledge to back it up.

Kirkwood Outfitters is closest to me, but their attitude gets on my nerves sometimes and their prices seem high. I was there once when a guy came in to buy a Hi Point and put down on the form that he was buying it for someone else. They let him fill out another copy so he could put down the right answer.

papajohn
June 23, 2008, 11:42 AM
Bogie, I remember that, I also remember how they had certain "high-density" items like standing gunsafes strategically placed around the store. The whole place was jammed full of stuff, and looked like it had just been crammed in wherever it could go, but there was a definite method to the madness. I was in there one day when three local scruffians walked in, clearly casing the joint, and I went to cover at the same time as the staff. Nothing came of it, but the hair on our necks all stood up at the same time, these dudes gave the place a quick once-over and left.

My "safe spot" was in the southwest corner near the front, lots of heavy-duty merchandise there, and ample concealment.

Charlie's prices were never very good, but I bought a lot of reloading gear there in the 80's. It was easier than driving to K's in South St Louis!

Papajohn

Gryphon1410
July 8, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hey all thanks for all the helpful information on the shops in the area. As a matter of fact, I was just down by Mike's to pay a visit (unfortunately he was closed due to a vacation) and also stopped by C&S Metall Werkes (also closed until Friday so I got skunked.)

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any problems with a fellow from Illinois buying in MO? I'm also military so I don't know if that would change anything if there is a problem with it.

It's a bummer that I got shipped to another anti-gun state since I used to be in Hawaii as well. They were pretty terrible with their laws. Terrible being a gross understatement as when I went to buy an AR, I had to get registered and finger printed like I committed a crime before I could even think of purchasing one.

So back on topic, what I'm getting is that Mike's is a great place to go and he treats people well. That's great as I look like I'm 16 but I'm actually almost 30! How's the service at C&S? Thanks!

CZguy
July 9, 2008, 01:47 AM
The service at C&S Metall Werkes is excellent.

They are only open on Friday's and Saturday's after 10:00 AM though.

Soybomb
July 9, 2008, 02:44 AM
Anyway, I was wondering if there's any problems with a fellow from Illinois buying in MO? I'm also military so I don't know if that would change anything if there is a problem with it.
You can only buy handguns from the state you are a resident of. If you buy a handgun out of state it will have to go to an in state dealer and be transferred there. Federal law ok's long gun purchase from a dealer in any state with the stipulation that the seller follow the laws of the buyer's state. I don't know if you'll find any dealers in MO that will bother with selling a long gun to you or not, I've never tried.

If you're near scott, I hear curt smith sporting goods in belleville is pretty reasonable and there are plenty of pawnshops in this part of the state that are willing to do transfers for $20-30

It's a bummer that I got shipped to another anti-gun state since I used to be in Hawaii as well. They were pretty terrible with their laws. Terrible being a gross understatement as when I went to buy an AR, I had to get registered and finger printed like I committed a crime before I could even think of purchasing one.
While Illinois isn't the most gun friendly state in the union, its not terrible. Illinois residents need a foid card to buy/have guns and ammo. There is no fingerprinting required, you send in a short application to the state police, a photo, $5 and with any luck it won't be lost and will be processed within 60-90 days. If you're downstate, and I'm assuming you are, there really aren't any restrictions on ownership. EBR's, normal capacity mags, etc are all fine. There is a 24 hour waiting period on long guns and 72 hour waiting period on handguns. Keep it unloaded and in a closed case when you're transporting it but there is no nonsense about locked cases, loaded mags being near the gun, etc like some states have.

CZguy
July 9, 2008, 03:00 AM
While Illinois isn't the most gun friendly state in the union, its not terrible.

I remember buying a shotgun at a gun show, and being surprised when a police man told me it had to be in a case to carry it out to the parking lot.

I guess the term "gun friendly" is subjective.

Technosavant
July 9, 2008, 11:51 AM
I remember buying a shotgun at a gun show, and being surprised when a police man told me it had to be in a case to carry it out to the parking lot.

I guess the term "gun friendly" is subjective.

IL may not be terrible compared to, say, California or New York, but compared to Missouri, it's downright hostile.

ilbob
July 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
resurrection of a 6 YO thread. :)

CZguy
July 9, 2008, 12:54 PM
IL may not be terrible compared to, say, California or New York, but compared to Missouri, it's downright hostile.

That was my feeling too.

When I was told it had to be cased to walk outdoors, the thought that crossed my mind was, why I'm not ashamed of it, but apparently people in Illinois need to be protected from the sight of a firearm.

Perhaps someone from Illinois could shed some light on the reasoning behind this law.

CZguy
July 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
resurrection of a 6 YO thread.

Actually it has come back every six months or so. :)

bogie
July 9, 2008, 01:00 PM
Stupid question - if I buy something in Belleville or Edwardsville, and there's a Missouri dealer at the show, can they do the transfer there?

ilbob
July 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
Stupid question - if I buy something in Belleville or Edwardsville, and there's a Missouri dealer at the show, can they do the transfer there?As I understand the insane rules, the actual transfer to you has to take place in your state of residence by an FFL whose place of business is in your state.

ShunZu
July 9, 2008, 04:24 PM
As I understand the insane rules, the actual transfer to you has to take place in your state of residence by an FFL whose place of business is in your state.

Correct... although good luck in finding a gun show in Edwardsville. :) You just missed one in B-ville. Bob Terry, the guy that always had a table near the front of the show (near the front door, just to the left) is from Kentucky, but is generally the guy who does many of the transfers. He and the guy (another Bob) who host the show are always the 2 guys you'll meet when you return 3 days later to pick up your newly-purchased pieces. They're both very good guys... easy to work with, know their stuff and can steer you in the right direction with your questions on transfers without error.

Gifted
July 9, 2008, 06:26 PM
An important thing: C&S is a class III last I knew, which means they can sell you any goody but silencers, which are the only thing banned by MO law. I suppose that'll be the next thing we need to work on here.

Gryphon1410
July 9, 2008, 07:11 PM
Soybomb and all,

Thanks for the info. Now since I'm a resident of Minnesota, the way the FOID law seems to read is that it doesn't apply to non-residents so it seems that I'm able to still buy firearms and ammo. Am I reading the law correctly? I believe I am but I just want to double check.

You're right about Illinois not being the worst about the laws but it still doesn't make their practices right. :) Thanks again fellas.

Technosavant
July 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
An important thing: C&S is a class III last I knew, which means they can sell you any goody but silencers, which are the only thing banned by MO law. I suppose that'll be the next thing we need to work on here.

They'll be legal on August 28, which is when the new law takes effect. They will be legal to manufacture, sell, and possess (by a licensed collector, so get your C&R). The change was snuck on to the range protection act.

CZguy
July 10, 2008, 12:09 AM
They'll be legal on August 28, which is when the new law takes effect. They will be legal to manufacture, sell, and possess (by a licensed collector, so get your C&R). The change was snuck on to the range protection act.

Wow, that got my attention.

I have a C&R, so what else will I need to buy a silencer on Aug. 28th?

Red Tornado
July 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
since I'm a resident of Minnesota, the way the FOID law seems to read is that it doesn't apply to non-residents so it seems that I'm able to still buy firearms and ammo

Gryphon,
If you're referring to the IL FOID card, my experience was that it means that nobody out of state can buy anything. I was in IL visiting in-laws and tried to buy some .223 at a Bass Pro/Gander Mt. or something, I can't remember the store. Anyway, I was told that the only way I could get ammo was to have an FOID and then could buy ammo for whatever was in season. That didn't make sense, but I decided that I don't really want my money going to IL anyway, and will avoid it in the future. (Kind of like Norm Stewart refusing to let any UMC dollars go to the state of KS. :D)

I could have just gotten a ignorant employee, but it was in a Chicago suburb. Downstate could be different.
RT

Technosavant
July 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have a C&R, so what else will I need to buy a silencer on Aug. 28th?

AFAIK (I am no expert on this), but the standard NFA rules will apply. That is, you'll need the appropriate ATF form (I don't know which one it is), and you'll either need an LLC to "own" the thing or you'll need your local CLEO signoff on the form.

Unfortunately, I am not a good source for reliable info on NFA procedure.

Soybomb
July 10, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Now since I'm a resident of Minnesota, the way the FOID law seems to read is that it doesn't apply to non-residents so it seems that I'm able to still buy firearms and ammo. Am I reading the law correctly? I believe I am but I just want to double check.
Federal law states you can only buy handguns in your state of residence. You should be able to buy long guns here as federal law allows that, but I suspect most stores would want to do a transfer to your home state anyway. Illinois law only requires that residents have a foid to buy ammo but again, good luck finding a vendor that both knows and feels comfortable enough with the law to sell it to you. I suspect it will be harder at chains than gun dealers.

Gryphon1410
July 10, 2008, 10:15 PM
Soybomb and Red Tornado,

Thanks guys. It seems like shooting sports here in IL will be more hassle than it's worth as I'm not so keen on the FOID concept. :banghead: The trap club on base has an advertisement that they'll help the troops get one if they want but I think I'll keep my Minnesota residency. :D Again thanks for the info gentlemen.

v/r

Gryphon1410

Soybomb
July 10, 2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. It seems like shooting sports here in IL will be more hassle than it's worth as I'm not so keen on the FOID concept. The trap club on base has an advertisement that they'll help the troops get one if they want but I think I'll keep my Minnesota residency. Again thanks for the info gentlemen.
I imagine the locally owned shops will know the law a lot better than the counter jockey at walmart who was told "foid card no matter what." Mail order should largely avoid the foid issue.

papajohn
July 11, 2008, 03:44 AM
Having moved back to Missouri from Illinois awhile back, maybe I can shed some light on this. The FOID is for Illinois residents, and is required to purchase ammunition. But if I present an out-of-state photo-ID, I can buy ammo. The idiocy of this law is that when I was living in Illinois, my girlfriend wanted to by me some ammo for my birthday, but didn't have a FOID yet. She was a state resident, couldn't even buy a box of 22's, but I had a Missouri DL, so I could.

Even Moe, Larry and Curly couldn't come up with anything goofier than that!

And why did I move back to Missouri? They passed Concealed Carry! And that will NEVER happen in Illinausea, unless there is a MAJOR regime change.

Papajohn

ugly old guns
July 11, 2008, 05:29 AM
I've been going to Mike's and Nassau about once a week for two years now. I've bought two rifles from Mike's, and sold him two pistols to pay unexpected expenses. Prices were more than fair both ways. Great guy, but gets harried with too many customers and questions.
Bought almost all of my ammo (7.62 X 54, .40, and 7.62 X 39) at Nassau, until recently. They are now selling Romanian Hotshot AK ammo for 5.99 for 20. The sign was marked down from 6.99 for 20! Now, I realize as we all do, that prices have gone up in the last year, but this same ammo was 4.59 a box in March/April. Have vendor prices gone up this much in the meantime? Or, are they just one more on the bandwagon of "November is almost here, the sky is falling! Guns will be outlawed. They won't take your guns, they'll just make ammo too expensive!" Profit is great, profiteering is not. Nassau is great for the peripherals, like reference books and gun cases, but neither shop could point me to where I could purchase a sturdy gunbelt, or find a holster for a Steyr. So I guess my contribution to this is that no one gunshop is perfect, but the main two in my little corner of the area each have a little of what I need.

314firemedic
July 20, 2008, 03:47 AM
hey i think mikes guns is as good as it gets around here, i personally would never buy a gun from nassau because i think the guy in the handgun room is a smartass prick. i bought my first handgun from denny dennis in fenton got a great deal on it. also i was wondering if anyone knew where indoor and outdoor ranges are in the st.charles area. email me at thetealdeals10@yahoo.com if you know of any

jeremy71504
September 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
You may want to check out Cabela's at the St. Louis Mills Mall. That where I get all my firearms (good serves to).

gun boy stl
December 28, 2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to check out Bullseye to see if their gun prices are reasonable.

ShunZu
December 29, 2008, 07:10 PM
There's a gun show in Belleville in January, and the week following, there's one in Highland. Some of us from IL and MO will remember the great shows that Highland used to have years ago... they're trying to resurrect it. If you're interested in dates, shout and I'll call the Belleville fairgrounds and get them.

At the Collinsville show in November, it was a regular feeding frenzy. AR lowers were all gone and the parts kits were going fast. I highly recommend M&R for your parts if you're assembling one (while you still can). Tell Pam (at M&R) that "the novelist sent me" and you might get a break on prices... no guarantees though. :)

If you want the dates of the shows, shout.

Happy New Year to you all !! Take care, watch out on the roads on the Eve, and buy ammo while it's still affordable. :)

BeltfedMG
December 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
I havent seen a gun shop in St Louis that was decent yet, but then again i dont know of many other then C&S and i cant stand them guys, had couple bad experiences with them. I will never buy from them again and every MG i bought from them had issues, just not worth it.

As for ranges, im 1hr 30 mins west and i have 1/2 mile (1,000 yrd) range for sniper events i hold.

Have a 600 yrd range for everything except MG's

Have 365 yrd range for setting off explosives, shooting MG's and anything else

Also have a large clay pit (Lake) we throw stuff in and shoot the hell out of with MG's and everything else, everyone loves shooting in the water.

markwms
March 24, 2009, 01:35 PM
I asked just over a year ago about good gun shops in St. Louis and have since made my purchase from Mike's Guns in St. Charles. Kind of a gruff fella, but his prices really can't be beat.

Anywho, now I'm shooting regularly out at Henges range off antire road, but was curious to get some thoughts and pricing for other handgun ranges in the St. Louis area.

I've also shot across the river over at the Winchester Handgun Facility in East Alton and really enjoyed it.

Let me know your favorite place to shoot and approximate costs if you know them.

Thanks,
mark

bhk
March 24, 2009, 01:52 PM
Benchrest Club of St. Louis has some great pistol ranges. You might really want to start a new thread on this issue - a seven year old thread might not get much new attention especially since the information requested has changed substantially.

Superlite27
March 24, 2009, 03:17 PM
You might really want to start a new thread on this issue - a seven year old thread might not get much new attention especially since the information requested has changed substantially.

Oh no. This thread is becoming a classic. Don't go ruining it by adding requirements.

a seven year old thread might not get much new attention

Oh, it gets attention. I check it every single time it pops up just to see what's changed. I don't think I'm the only one. (At least I hope not)

Just for everyone's info, (since this perfectly good thread is alive once more):

Gun show at St. Charles Convention Center on Saturday March 28th.

See you all here again in a few months!

CZguy
March 24, 2009, 04:43 PM
I don't think I'm the only one. (At least I hope not)

You're not alone.

daskro
March 24, 2009, 04:57 PM
I havent seen a gun shop in St Louis that was decent yet, but then again i dont know of many other then C&S and i cant stand them guys, had couple bad experiences with them. I will never buy from them again and every MG i bought from them had issues, just not worth it.

I'd like to hear more about this. I haven't purchased any MGs from them, but have purchased several rifles and pistols from them, have had great customer service experience with them thus far.

CZguy
March 24, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'd like to hear more about this. I haven't purchased any MGs from them, but have purchased several rifles and pistols from them, have had great customer service experience with them thus far.

Me to, my experience with them has been very good.

r6ridah
August 17, 2009, 08:44 PM
does anyone know if there are any stl local gun shops that offer in-store financing or store exclusive cards? i dont want a visa/bass pro shop card or rewards cards, but rather an exclusive store only card that offers financing....similar to what best buy offers. my credit is good, but not good enough for major cards like visa/mastercard to approve, due to minimal history. i have 2 guns that i have paid for new in cash, but like to finance a shotgun. thanks in advance.

Texpatriate
August 17, 2009, 11:33 PM
Bass Pro has a store credit card in addition to their Bass Pro Visa card. I'm not sure if Cabelas does or not. I think those are probably going to be your only options, at least in Saint Louis. What are you looking to purchase?

jackdanson
August 18, 2009, 12:09 AM
does anyone know if there are any stl local gun shops that offer in-store financing or store exclusive cards? i dont want a visa/bass pro shop card or rewards cards, but rather an exclusive store only card that offers financing....similar to what best buy offers. my credit is good, but not good enough for major cards like visa/mastercard to approve, due to minimal history. i have 2 guns that i have paid for new in cash, but like to finance a shotgun. thanks in advance.

I know nassau has a sign up with some kind of loan information. As someone who has a lot of debt himself I STRONGLY RECCOMEND saving up the cash. Don't buy toys on credit. Credit is for a house and possibly a car. That is all. You WILL regret it!

That said, have fun!

ps ZOOOOOOMBIEEEE THREAD!!!

Superlite27
August 18, 2009, 08:47 AM
ps ZOOOOOOMBIEEEE THREAD!!!

Yes, but it's a very punctual (about every six months) and well mannered zombie.

TheNev
August 18, 2009, 09:24 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (don't want to read the whole thread)
St. Charles:

Mike's Guns - always very helpful, but prices seem pretty high. EX: 1953 TTC for $260, Cabela's $200.

Nassau: Pretty good selection if you like semi-auto's. Prices arent terrible, helpful people.

Gateway Outfitters: Haven't been in there in a while, took awhile to get someone to help me.

Bass Pro: We all know about them.

Cabela's: Not the best prices, but they do have a decent selection. I've bought 3 guns from them so far.

St. Louis City:
Bullseye: I will not go there again. Crappy range, only a couple gun rentals (4 1911's 2 Glocks), expensive range rental. Never again.

St. Louis county:

On Target: Somewhat helpful, EXHORBITANT pricing. TTC (see above) $350!

Denny Dennis: Huge stocks of ammo, not much of a pistol selection, sometimes hard to get help. I stood there for a solid 10 minutes looking at ammo (behind the counter), no one asked me if I needed help, no other customers around, 3 guys behind the counter. I just turned around and left.

Mid-America Arms: I love these guys, mostly because they're right down the street. Not a huge selection, but it changes often. Usually have ammo, but the shortage hit them especially hard. Lots of milsurp rifles. Very helpful people, decent prices. Last time I was in there they had 2 VZ scorpions and a Mac-10. Lots of shotguns, AR's, AK's, Mosin-Nagants for $110.

Outside St. Louis county:
Top Gun: Fantastic place, indoor shooting range, gun rentals (full auto MP5's, big a$$ revolvers, etc) decent selection of new and used guns, lots of accessories, usually always have ammo, friendly people. The range is clean, nice equipment.

Dunn's: Mostly a hunting/fishing store, but a decent selection of handguns and ammo.

Smitty's: Down hwy 67. This is almost the Holy Grail. John (owner) will stand and talk to you until you are absolutely finished. He helped me a great deal when I bought my P-01. Then he moves to the next person. May take a bit of time to get some help, but when you do, you get all you want. His parent's help him run the place, so it's just the 3 of them. Huge selection of handguns, rifles, shotguns, ammo, and accessories. Just a great place to deal with.

Niel4
August 18, 2009, 04:10 PM
My experiences at the places TheNev listed are exactly the same.

I have bought 3 guns @cabela's and 2 at On Target. OnTarget was cheaper back in 08' when i bought my guns there.They will negotiate but depending on the gun they may or may not be reasonably competative The owner there spent a bunch of time with me but they lost out on a XDm 9mm to Cabela's and a Rock Island Tactical to Cott Fire Arms in the last 2 months.

Top Gun is a bit far for me but if you want to try out some guns their rental collection is quite large. Plus if its cold outside it beats Busch. They are expanding into a new location in Nov. It's just down the road and 75% built.

Top Gun: Fantastic place, indoor shooting range, gun rentals (full auto MP5's, big a$$ revolvers, etc) decent selection of new and used guns, lots of accessories, usually always have ammo, friendly people. The range is clean, nice equipment.

Kleanbore
August 18, 2009, 04:18 PM
TheNev has a good list. Fro handguns also try Top Gun.

I'm sure the OP had his answer a long time ago!

david636
August 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
+1 on TheNev's review.

The only one I might disagree with is Mike's Guns. I have found their prices to be very reasonable.

CZguy
August 19, 2009, 05:07 PM
The only one I might disagree with is Mike's Guns. I have found their prices to be very reasonable.

Plus one. He missed the mark on Mike's Guns in an otherwise fine review.

lee1000
August 19, 2009, 05:35 PM
I've been to Bullseye and they have an indoor range and the weapons seem to be competitive priced, but look around.

They could use a better ventilation system at the range though. When there is a lot of people shooting it gets a little hard to breathe in there (and I smoke, maybe that’s the reason, my girlfriend didn’t have a problem and she doesn’t smoke). I will continue to go there.

The staff is usually willing to answer newbie questions. That does depend on how busy they are though.

daskro
August 19, 2009, 05:39 PM
Mike has reasonable prices. I found him pretty unpleasant to deal with, but I got the vibe that he didn't like doing ffl transfers.

I'd add C&S to theNev's list. Only open on Friday & Saturday, but good selection of higher end modern military rifles & NFA stuff.

jcalys
August 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
Great thread... Anyone know if the Busch range is open again yet? They had it shut down for remodeling the last month or so.

Thoughts on STL gun shops:
Mike's- Down the road from me. Solid selection, good service.

Mid America- Just hit up their new place further east on Gravios... it seemed big... and fairly empty. Not a lot of handguns.

Nassau- Last time there they did a transfer for me for $20. Lots of handguns. The really old guy was tough to deal with, but the lady (forgot her name) and the guy with a shaved head were nice. Never seen any racist stuff there as some had said... wasn't really looking for it though either.

Top Gun- Love it. The guys that work the range are friendly and the guys that work the sales counter are knowledgeable. Tons of rental guns, $10 lets you rent any and all of them.

Do you guys know anywhere that has a good used Smith and Wesson revolver selection? Everywhere seems to have a ton of Taurus and some Rugers and only a couple Smith revos.

TheNev
August 19, 2009, 07:09 PM
Wow, thanks for the praise guys.

Maybe Mike's has comptetitive pricing, but for what I was specifically looking for, they were higher (TTC: On Target $350, Mike's $260, Cabela's $200, Online $200).

What and where is C&S? Never heard of them.

Mid-America is a bit understocked because they are the ONLY gun shop for a fairly good distance. Everyone within at least 20 miles goes there. Their stuff changes up a LOT. Every time I go in there, they have new stuff. Very hit or miss on ammo. I went in a few weeks ago, they had TONS of milsurp 7.62x25. I bought one box, kinda low on cash. Got paid a few days later and went to go get some more, all gone.

jcalys: Go to Smitty's (55S to 67S, watch for them on the left, easy to miss.) They usually have a huge selection of revolvers. I'd say it's an honest 50-50 split wheelies to autos.

daskro
August 19, 2009, 07:54 PM
C&S is located just a few exits after Mikes in a business park. They're a gun manufacturer that also have retail operations fridays and saturdays. Mostly NFA stuff like machine guns, SBRs, suppressors, but also a good selection of higher end semi-auto clones such as bren, fals, saiga-12s, barrett 50 cals, ar-15s, nicer ak clones. Also usually gets bulk ammo the same time most of the online resellers get them.

http://www.csmetall-werkes.com/

daskro
August 23, 2009, 06:19 PM
Delayed double post, but Lynch Hummer now sells firearms as well in an attached showroom.
http://www.adventureshooting.com/

also seen on cnn
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/08/22/dnt.mo.hummer.guns.ksdk

Niel4
August 23, 2009, 06:32 PM
I was going to Busch yesterday and thought I saw a sign at Lynch Hummer.

I went back that way and got off the exit to check it out. Sure enough there is a gun store in there too!!

Not a bad selction...they are adding everyday. Prices were quite a bit lower than On-Target as i remember and the staff was very attentive.

Hummer sales are way off so why not sell guns...lol

godsey5
September 1, 2009, 11:41 PM
One shop to check out that has not been mentioned is H&H outfitters in warrenton. It is run by Mark Hale. He used to have a shop on the service road by the outlet mall by the road but it burned down last year. He is now off of main street in warrenton. He usually has a fair amount of milsurp as well as moderen guns. Very fair to deal with. Good prices. I have bought most of my guns from mark or mike over the years.

I love to see a thread that won't die!

JIm

CZguy
September 2, 2009, 12:28 AM
Does H&H carry many used guns? How is their pricing?

godsey5
September 2, 2009, 02:40 AM
He carries a lot of used guns. Good prices. I have bought a lot of guns from him. Really good guy as well. Has a wide variety of guns.

Jim

Fusileer
September 4, 2009, 09:48 AM
Belleville Shooting Range has just this week opened a new store called Metro Shooting Supplies @ Weldon Parkway and Dorsett it's hard to see but it's right across the street from the Maryland Heights Post Office. I hear from two who have seen it it's really classy and just a "GUN SHOP"

I was listening to Target Talk on the Big 550 KTRS last Sunday evening and they were talking about the new shop. They had some guy who really seemed to know his stuff about collectables, that's refreshing someone with some knowledge for a change. But a Gun Shop right next to West Port ?? What a great spot, I can do that on my lunch hour. Damn now were havin fun. I guess I'll have to get in there and have a look see.

runner6m
September 4, 2009, 10:39 AM
My reviews of some of the gun shops on the Illinois side of the St. Louis area:

Belleville Shooting Range (Belleville): I will never go there again. The prices on firearms and ammo were absolutely insane. Range fees were exhorbitant compared to other ranges. Some of the staff was nice, inlcuding their gunsmith. However, a couple of the staff were very unhelpful and had a poor attitude towards their customers. A dark haired, heavy set guy named "Steve" who I believe is the owner, was especially bad. His attitude was atrocious, and I'll leave it at that. Check them out on Google maps and read what people have written about them.

Curt Smith's (Belleville): Decent prices, decent service. Ammo selection is good for shotguns, poor for anything else. They are primarily oriented towards hunting, obviously. The staff is mostly pretty friendly, except the younger guy who works there that that can be quite unfriendly.

Ron and Jo's (Fairview Heights): Great prices, usually, on both firearms and ammo. Very friendly staff of two guys who are helpful and patient. The owner and his wife are sometimes there, and they both seem friendly as well. Selection is OK, but they are a small shop. They can order things if they don't have it, and have a friendly policy towards doing transfers.

George Smith's (Smithton): Small shop, run by a guy out of his basement. Very clean, orderly, and a decent selection considering this is one guy's part time operation. VERY friendly guy, always willing to help, chat, and give instruction. He's a reloader and carries reloading stuff. Always has excellent prices on his stuff, and can order just about any firearms or ammo you need. He also does transfers for a reasonable fee. He is my preferred place for picking up guns and supplies.

Belle Aire Pawnshop (Collinsville): I've only been there once. Their selection was limited, but they're a pawnshop so I'm sure their inventory fluctuates quite a bit. The guy who helped me was nice and offered to let me handle any firearms they had even though I stated I was just looking around and not buying. Their transfer fee is $27. I felt their prices were a bit high, but he was open to negotiation, they are a pawn place after all.

The Gun Shoppe (Highland): I haven't been there yet, but I have heard good stuff about their selection and service.

daskro
September 9, 2009, 09:57 PM
Belleville Shooting Range has just this week opened a new store called Metro Shooting Supplies @ Weldon Parkway and Dorsett it's hard to see but it's right across the street from the Maryland Heights Post Office. I hear from two who have seen it it's really classy and just a "GUN SHOP"

Belleville Shooting Range (Belleville): I will never go there again. The prices on firearms and ammo were absolutely insane. Range fees were exhorbitant compared to other ranges. Some of the staff was nice, inlcuding their gunsmith. However, a couple of the staff were very unhelpful and had a poor attitude towards their customers. A dark haired, heavy set guy named "Steve" who I believe is the owner, was especially bad. His attitude was atrocious, and I'll leave it at that. Check them out on Google maps and read what people have written about them.

I went to Metro Shooting Suppiles, Belleville's new gun shop in Maryland Heights, and the experience was unpleasant. Bad prices, bad attitudes and bad information.
Their prices were terrible, $375 for a ruger 22/45, $10 for 20 round box of silver bear .223, 50 dollars for ffl transfers, $900 for S&W 5.45 Upper, $190 for RRA ar-15 stripped lower.
I can take high prices, especially from a new gun store, but the attitude and misinformation were really incredible, here's a few of the things I heard:
"You need a drivers license to purchase ammo in missouri"
"You need a FFL to buy ar-15 parts, we don't sell parts because we'd have to contact the ATF every time we order them"
"Don't get a C&R, ATF will search your home every month"
"Don't shoot steel ammo in your AR"

In their defense they're all from Illinois and Illinois gun laws are flat out terrible, but don't bring this nonsense into Missouri. I don't go to Illinois to shoot and I don't go to Illinois to buy guns, so I don't tell me things that do not apply to me nor anyone else who lives in Missouri.

I will not be going to this gunshop again.

STLMedic
August 22, 2010, 08:03 PM
Why not pile on an 8 year old thread?
I've been in St Louis for 2 years now, and I've only been to Bullseye and Mid-America arms. I've been more than pleased with Mid-America and disgusted with Bullseye. I have heard good things about Top-Gun from friends though, I'll have to check them out.
Heading out to a place in Maryland Heights in the next few days to pick up a police trade in P229, hopefully will have something good to say about them.

shootist2121
August 23, 2010, 11:08 AM
There are a several great stores in the area....Bulleye has always been a tad high for their stuff...On Target is good ,but I've found them to be clickish with customers..Mike's Guns out in St.Charles usually discounts 10% for cash purchases.

There is anew shop in"Old Town St.Peters..M&M Guns..Very good pricing but stock is limited at the moment. Owner is paying his way along and hasn't borrowed to setup.. He will work with you on orders. Then there is Nassau on the outside service Road at Cave Springs...

These are the ones i have dealt with....Hope this helps,

Be safe:cool:

CZguy
August 23, 2010, 01:03 PM
Does M&M carry any used firearms?

Where in old town St. Peters are they located? (what are they next to?)

wow6599
August 23, 2010, 01:13 PM
Denny Dennis seems to have lowered his pricing in the past 6 months or so.
Just avoid the place in Chesterfield Valley like the plague. Check out these online prices...and yeah, I went there to see it for myself.
http://www.adventureshooting.com/index.php

They want $960.99 for a Kahr PM9! $1,437.99 for a M&P45 w/CT grips! I guess they still think they're selling Hummers.

shootist2121
August 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
CZguy:
M&M Guns is next to the Archery shop on the south side just down the street from Michaels Carpet.
Right at the moment they don't have any used handguns.

Be Safe:cool:

stchman
August 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
I have had good luck with Nassau Sporting Goods for decent deals. I like Top Gun down in Imperial.

The Cabela's in Hazelwood has decent deals when you catch them on sale.

Mike's Guns has good prices, but Mike can be sometimes DIFFICULT to deal with. I usually avoid him unless the deal is spectacular.

Sweet
August 24, 2010, 03:44 AM
Nick's Gun and Pawn, in Washington, MO.
1125 Clock Tower Plaza
Washington, MO 63090-5333
(636) 432-0001
It is a drive from St Louis, better than an hour from The Arch. It is out in Franklin County but, you will not find a better price from any shop in the area. I am not connected with the business, but I have done business with the man and have found him "to be a good man to ride the river with"

Krusty783
November 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
Anyone have any experience selling to / trading with the St. Louis shops? I'm thinking of selling a Taurus .357 and a scoped Ruger M77m2 7mm rem mag.

CZguy
November 1, 2010, 11:10 PM
Anyone have any experience selling to / trading with the St. Louis shops? I'm thinking of selling a Taurus .357 and a scoped Ruger M77m2 7mm rem mag.

Yes, I do......and you're not going to like the deals that they will offer you.

You might consider selling them at a gun show. (St. Charles this weekend) or on GunBroker.

Texpatriate
November 2, 2010, 01:43 AM
Yes, I do......and you're not going to like the deals that they will offer you.

Agreed. Cabelas will especially try to screw you. Probably offer you $75 for the taurus and $200 for the ruger depending on the condition and type of scope you have on it. You're better off trying to sell at the gun show or here on THR.

Krusty783
November 2, 2010, 10:31 AM
Egh... I know the ballpark used values on my guns and no way I'd sell them for those paltry figures.

I'd like to go to the gun show this weekend but my sister's coming in town... I might be able to make it Sunday afternoon.

Can you suggest a dealer for an FFL transaction if I sell it on Gunbroker? I'm also looking to buy an AR lower and that needs to be shipped to an FFL.

daskro
November 2, 2010, 12:54 PM
Krusty -

If you sell through gunbroker you will have the option in many circumstances to ship to the FFL the buyer wishes to use as long as shipping to from a non-ffl to a ffl is legal in their state. Not all FFLs accept shipments from non-ffls, so it's best to check prior to the exchange of money.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118

david636
November 15, 2010, 01:01 PM
Just to keep this old thread alive.

There is a new indoor shooting range and gun store in St. Peters.

Ultimate Defense: http://udrange.com

Nice place with 12 bays. Reasonable prices, very helpful employees.

A.H. Fox
November 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
Day trip out to New Melle Gun Shop. $3 for three round test fire on some guns. Miss Jill runs the place. Not much in the way of hand guns. More rifles and shotguns but their selection is varied. Stop there on your way out to the wineries....not on the way back, Miss Jill packs heat.

http://www.newmellegunshop.com/

CZguy
November 16, 2010, 12:19 AM
Day trip out to New Melle Gun Shop. $3 for three round test fire on some guns. Miss Jill runs the place. Not much in the way of hand guns. More rifles and shotguns but their selection is varied. Stop there on your way out to the wineries....not on the way back, Miss Jill packs heat.

It's a good shop, but the selection is small. However the conversation is always fun, definitely a place worth checking out.

You can test fire anything that's used. :cool:

Hotshot10
April 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
I know this is really old, but I've been hearing about Smitty's down south and noticed a few comments about it here. Is it worth a trip from West County?

I'm looking to purchase a Browning shotgun in the next few weeks, and every place I have tried can't get the model I want until this summer.

richa60
May 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
Big +1 to Ultimate Defense in St. Peters.
Clean new facility, friendly and helpful employees, male & female shooters, good ventilation, good selection of rentals, good selection of training classes. My wife and I both enjoy shooting there.

richa60

cougarman
May 11, 2011, 12:13 AM
I am from KY and went to one in Fenton while visiting my in-laws. They seemed to be well informed. Denny Dennis Sporting Goods.

GWARGHOUL
May 11, 2011, 02:32 AM
I know this is really old, but I've been hearing about Smitty's down south and noticed a few comments about it here. Is it worth a trip from West County?

I'm looking to purchase a Browning shotgun in the next few weeks, and every place I have tried can't get the model I want until this summer.

YES. Talk to Jay. I went to high school with him. He is knowledgeable, in every sense. Even with gunshot wounds, as he missed a year of school due to soem el cheapo 308 semi-auto going off in his lap.

On your way down to Smitty's, I recommend the following - (in order from north to south)

Top Gun in Imperial

JW Firearms (pretty new business on metropolital Blvd in Imperial, around Don's cycles)

Dunn's in Pevely, by the fleamarket. (I was recently very impressed by the selection and staff, about 65% of their business is guns, and they have just about everything else too)

.. all on your way to Smitty's.

Smitty's has quite an impressive selection. They will negotiate, and the sticker prices are not robbery.

Toforo
May 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
JW Firearms (pretty new business on metropolital Blvd in Imperial, around Don's cycles)

JW is a great guy and runs a good business... I've known him for a few years - met him at an R&K Gun Show that was here in Columbia - we've stayed friends and stayed in touch ever since.

If I need a gun, or need INFO on a gun, I call JW first - a TRUE "LGS" with a "How can I help you" business model.

ErikO
May 29, 2011, 02:30 AM
Stopped in @ M&M Guns in St Peters, MO. Great little shop; plenty of ammo, good selection and very nice guy. His prices from Davidson's is on the lower side and he said that if you order through him directly he can give a better price.

Also, stopped in at Ultimate Defence Runrange, just a bit further up the road from M&M. Had a blast, chewed through 100 rnds of 380 (and got a love bite from a S&W Bodyguard 380...dang mousegun off-hand placement issues...) and had a great time. My wife's heading over there on the 9th for Ladies' Night on the 9th and we're bringing the kiddo over for an Eddie Eagle day on the 12th.

I'm not affiliated with either place, just visted them today for the first time.

pearsonm
January 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
Thank you for the very helpful thread. I'm going to be relocating to St Charles/St Peters soon from Springfield, MO and am in the market for a GP100 or 686. There's not a lot of selection down here so I used this thread to locate all the St Louis region shops.

One shop that I didn’t seen listed is Ruby's in Sullivan which is on my way to St Louis on I-44. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

EDIT: Sovereign in Arnold is another one I don't think has been mentioned in this thread.

Hotshot10
January 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the very helpful thread. I'm going to be relocating to St Charles/St Peters soon from Springfield, MO and am in the market for a GP100 or 686. There's not a lot of selection down here so I used this thread to locate all the St Louis region shops.

I buy a lot from Graf's Reloading in St. Charles. There's not a huge selection there, but they're helpful and reasonably priced on most firearms.

If you're coming from down south, you might even have a look at Smitty's Sporting Goods in DeSoto. The staff there is great, they have a huge selection, and they have reasonable prices. It's obviously a long way from St. Louis, but I've found that it's worth my time to make the trip a few times a year.

TraditionalCatholic
January 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
I have been shopping at Ruby's several times, but never purchased anything substantial. They have a decent selection, probably around 50 handguns on average, and a fair number of long guns. Prices on ammo are not bad, but the gun prices are pretty high.

Pacific Gun and Archery in Pacific Missouri is a good shop. They do typically have a smaller selection than Ruby's, but their prices are much better and the owner and employees are a delight even just to talk to.

Also, there is On Target, located in Valley Park, which is also right off of I-44. They recently opened an indoor range, and their selection of firearms and accessories is usually adequate. Their prices can be a little steep sometimes, but they do have great deals every now and again.

pearsonm
January 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know if the following helps anyone else. All shops pulled from this thread.

ST LOUIS GUNSHOPS

Bull’s Eye LLC
5100 Manchester Rd
St Louis, MO 63110
314-781-4867
http://www.bullseyestl.com/home.nxg

Mid America Guns
8205 Gravois Rd
St Louis, MO 63123
314-631-3130
http://midamericaarms.com/

20-MILE RADIUS

Belleview Shooting Range
209 N Illinois St
Belleville, IL 62220
314-368-4867
http://www.bsrgunshop.com/BSR.html

Mid City Gun & Coin/Trail Creek Trade Co.
10902 St Charles Rock Rd
Saint Ann, MO 63074
314-739-0399
http://trailcreektrade.com/index.html

Sovereign Arms
802 Butler Commercial Park
Arnold, MO 63010
636-287-8821
http://www.sovereignarms.com/

Top Gun Shooting Sports
4075 West Outer Rd
Arnold, MO 63010
636-464-4867
http://www.topgunss.com/index.html

On Target
590 Vance Rd, Suite 109
Valley Park, MO 63088
636-861-1055
http://ontargetstl.com/Home_Page.html

30-MILE RADIUS

DennyDennis Sporting Goods
#1 Gravois Rd
Fenton, MO 63026
636-343-9447
http://www.dennydennis.com/index.php

Adventure Shooting Sports
17724 Chesterfield Airport Rd
Chesterfield, MO 63005
636-536-6950
http://www.adventureshooting.com/

JW Firearms
7141 Metropolitan Blvd
Barnhart, MO 63012
636-647-5004
http://jwfirearms.com/

C&S Metall-Werkes
4025 Old Hwy 94 S, Ste H
St Charles, MO 63304
939-928-1511
http://www.csm-w.com/

Graf’s Reloading
923 South 5th
St Charles, MO 63301
636-946-7468
http://grafsreloading.net/

Mike’s Guns
1964 S Old Hwy 94
St Charles, MO 63303
636-949-8764
http://local.yahoo.com/info-17726719-mike-s-guns-st.-charles

Nassau Sporting Goods
200 Spring Dr
St Charles, MO 63303
636-946-4141
http://local.yahoo.com/info-17719428-nassau-sporting-goods-st-charles

M&M Guns
16 Main St
St Peters, MO 63376
http://mmguns.com/index.php

Ultimate Defense Firing Range
590 Turner Blvd
St Peters MO 63376
636-278-2825
http://udrange.com/index.html

50-MILE RADIUS

Pacific Guns and Archery
103 Metrocom Dr
Pacific, MO 63069
636-742-3777
http://local.yahoo.com/info-45551676-pacific-guns-archery-pacific

Smitty’s Sporting Goods
13220 Timberwood Ln
De Soto, MO 63020
636-586-5839
http://local.yahoo.com/info-17651130-smitty-s-sporting-goods-de-soto

70-MILE RADIUS

Nick’s Gun & Pawn
1125 Clock Tower Plaza
Washington, MO 63090
636-432-0001
http://nicksgunandpawn.com/index.htm

H&H Guns
115 E Main St
Warrenton, MO 63383
636-456-6118
http://www.hhguns.com/

Ruby’s Guns
429 Walmart Way
Sullivan, MO 63080
573-468-4564
http://www.rubysguns.com/begin.asp?pagenumber=52335

TurtlePhish
January 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
TEN YEARS this thread has existed!:what: Jeez. Threadnomancy!

pearsonm
January 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
TEN YEARS this thread has existed!:what: Jeez. Threadnomancy!

I think it's great. The biggest value of the internet to me is information, and this one's packed with it.

CZguy
January 17, 2012, 12:59 AM
I think it's great. The biggest value of the internet to me is information, and this one's packed with it.

I couldn't agree more. :cool:

writerinmo
January 17, 2012, 01:08 AM
Well, St. Louis HAS been around for a while...

GWARGHOUL
January 17, 2012, 01:58 AM
I'de stay away from Sovereign arms, btw.

They have a pretty huge markup, and wants $45 for a transfer.. and weren't very friendly.

ExTank
January 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
The Metro Shooting Supplies (http://www.bsrgunshop.com/mss-bridgeton.htm) that was in Maryland Heights is moving to Bridgeton. Should be open sometime this fall.

Bigger store, plus they're adding an indoor shooting range. Sweet!

ExTank
January 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
Got a chance to look into Ultimate Defense (http://www.udrange.com/), and M&M Guns on Main St. in St. Peters the other day, and was overall pleased with the experience.

Ultimate Defense has a very nice inoor range, and seem to be very conscious of safety on their premises. A good selection of rentals and new-for-sale guns, lots of classes for beginners, intermediates, and pros. Friendly, helpful staff.

M&M is a much smaller store, but their store is laid out in a neat, efficient manner. IME, too many small shops tend to be cluttered and somewhat claustrophobic.

About the same quantity of new-for-sale guns as Ult. Def., but a bit more variety; more six-shooters and rifles of all types. Not a huge selection, but a good variety in what they have. Again, friendly and helpful.

pearsonm
January 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
^ We’re in St Charles now looking for a home. We came up yesterday to go gun shopping. We stopped by Ruby’s, Graf’s, Mike’s, Nassau, M&M, Ultimate Defense, Cabala’s, Bass Pro and On Target. We couldn’t freaking find C&S Metall-Werkes. I’m trying to decide between a 4” GP100 and 3” or 4” 686. I’ll probably go with either Graf’s or M&M.

CZguy
January 30, 2012, 12:52 AM
I’m trying to decide between a 4” GP100 and 3” or 4” 686. I’ll probably go with either Graf’s or M&M.

You can't go wrong with either of those revolvers. In my experience you can't beat M&M prices in this area.

Mike will knock some off of the price if you can pay in cash.

Please post where you got the best price.

dagerv
January 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
M&M' s is my favorite store of all you listed. I ordered my last purchase there and he will knock off some if you pay cash. Same for Mike's as well. Nassau never wants to deal and I don't care for that place much.

geerlingguy
February 1, 2012, 04:29 PM
I just visited On Target's new shooting range a few days ago, and it's a nice range; definitely on par with the range at Top Gun in Arnold. The store's nothing amazing, but they do offer rentals, and prices are reasonable. Staff is pretty friendly, and they have reasonable rules and guidelines. Just one little sheet of paper you have to fill out (sign your life away, yadda yadda).

Since I live south of 40, getting up to St. Charles/St. Peters is not something I do too often... but since so many people recommend some of the shops up there, I might venture up there.

CZguy
February 1, 2012, 06:45 PM
Within the last two days I have visited both Mike's Guns, and M&M Guns. Both places during a week day had people piled up two deep at the counter, and there were a lot of empty holes in the display cases.

What's going on...........is there another panic, or are more people getting involved in the shooting sports?

But to put the thread back on track. M&M guns has the best prices, and easy going staff in this area.

ExTank
February 1, 2012, 06:47 PM
^ I haven't been to On Target since they opened their range; I'll need to get down and check them out. Since I live at I-270 & Olive, I'm pretty well situated to go just about anywhere in the metro.

I'm glad you compared their range favorably to Top Gun; I was only at Top Gun once, but was fairly impressed.

writerinmo
February 1, 2012, 08:05 PM
Probably the standard election scare.

pearsonm
February 1, 2012, 09:27 PM
I know this one's a ways out, but does anyone know these guys? They have a revolver that I'm interested in.

Osage County Guns
148 Pepper Ln
Belle, MO 65013
573-859-6044
http://www.osagecountyguns.com/

CZguy
February 1, 2012, 11:10 PM
No, but if you go please post your impressions. I go through Bell a couple of times a year, and have always meant to stop but never have. It seems like the kind of place to find a pre-64 Winchester.

SharkHat
February 2, 2012, 12:26 AM
C&S Metall-Werkes is in a bit of a confusing spot, especially with the construction that's going on right now on 94. If it's still there, it's about a block down the road that goes behind the License Office (Old Hwy 94 S, Old Hwy N, Harvester).

cthulhufan
February 2, 2012, 12:42 AM
On Target was poorly ventilated and had shabby air locks when we went back in early January.

Hope they get that sorted out. Seems like a nice place.

I'm dying for Metro Shooting Supply to get their act together with their new range on the Rock Road since it's on my way home. The thing that bothers me about them is that I think you pay for a membership but then you still have to pay for a lane (at a reduced rate).

If I pay for a membership, I want to walk in and start shooting without having to spend a dime.

ErikO
February 2, 2012, 03:47 AM
Metro's 'old' location really didn't do much for me. I was the only customer in the shop and felt like the manager was waiting for me to try and steal something while the younger fellow honestly did seem like he was trying to help me while I was browsing. I didn't feel comfortable being there so I never went back.

I've never felt like that @ M&M so they'll get the majority of my business, the rest going to Ultimate Defense.

joedotnet
February 2, 2012, 04:38 AM
+1000 for Ultimate Defense.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

pearsonm
February 2, 2012, 07:45 PM
C&S Metall-Werkes is in a bit of a confusing spot, especially with the construction that's going on right now on 94.

Dang it, I'm looking at Google Maps, now I see it. It's behind Kohl's. We thought we were on old Hwy 94 but we were actually at 4025 North St Peters Parkway which is a closed attorney's office (across the construction by Schnuck's).

The outlets in our POS rental didn't work so our GPS ran out of juice. :mad: I know where to go next time.

CZguy
February 3, 2012, 01:14 AM
C&S has limited hours on Fridays and Saturdays. Make sure they will be open before you go.

Bring a lot of money. ;)

Mr. Happy
February 4, 2012, 02:15 PM
Top Gun - the only place I've ever bought a pistol on impulse (a stainless H&K P7). Great folks.

pearsonm
February 5, 2012, 02:05 PM
Another question - what about gunsmithing? Can I get good work at either Graf's or M&M or are there gunsmith-only guys available who do even better work?

Hotshot10
February 5, 2012, 04:30 PM
Since a lot of people on this thread have been to a lot of St. Louis-area shops lately, I am wondering if anyone knows of a shop that carries leather holsters for a Smith 686 4". I have been to Graf's and haven't seen one in stock, and Cabela's is out of them at the moment. Thoughts?

Mr. Happy
February 5, 2012, 04:56 PM
Hotshot10: For using my 686 4" in IDPA, I chose a Safariland 568 Custom Fit for Revolvers Holster - STX plain blackk, Left Hand 568-09-412. It's not leather, but leather-y! $30 online.

ExTank
February 5, 2012, 08:29 PM
I tried the range at Ultimate Defense today; a very good range (new, well-lit, modern). Every bit as good as Top Gun, but Top Gun has a better overall store.

CZguy
February 6, 2012, 12:40 AM
Another question - what about gunsmithing? Can I get good work at either Graf's or M&M or are there gunsmith-only guys available who do even better work?

M&M (Mike the owner) is good when he has the time. The gun smith at New Mellie is good also.

Since a lot of people on this thread have been to a lot of St. Louis-area shops lately, I am wondering if anyone knows of a shop that carries leather holsters for a Smith 686 4". I have been to Graf's and haven't seen one in stock, and Cabela's is out of them at the moment. Thoughts?

I think that you could get a better deal on line.

maroast
February 6, 2012, 02:01 AM
Another question - what about gunsmithing?

Otto Matyska of ottocomp in Afton is who I've been sending my stuff to. Hes a real nice guy who does great work quickly for a reasonable price. It's not a retail store...more of a smoke filled bunker....He builds custom guns too. I recomend him (google his name too, many other satisfied people).

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 6, 2012, 02:29 AM
Went to the gunshow, Nassau and Mikes gun's yesterday.

Nassua's salesmen was horrible and didn't want to answer any questions or seem to care if we bought from them

Mike's shop was great and my friend went home with a XD45

ExTank
February 7, 2012, 06:46 PM
Was that the gun show at the Heart of St. Charles Banquet Center?

I was there Saturday, and wasn't too impressed. Way too many tables with geezers selling WWII Web Belts and Mess Kits.

smykowski
February 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
Figure I'll add my experiences, even though I'm new.
On-Target - someone said the attitude is a bit "cliquey" I would agree...seemed to have the attitude of buy something or leave..unless we know you, and their prices seemed to be high. A tad uncomfortable if you ask me.

I've used their indoor range once...didn't seem too bad, range wasn't regulated in the least though. i had 2 morons a few stalls down shooting like they were in a buddy's backyard. :scrutiny: On a good note, you can rent stuff to try out if you're curious about shooting a certain type or brand of firearm. Price was a little steep at $18/hour. If you're out in that direction...go to Jay Henges (5-10 mins away) at Antire Rd and 44...$3/hr, it's a more controlled environment and a nice facility. Even if it is outdoors.

Nassau - sold my S&W 9mm and bought a Taurus .40....aside from the older gentleman who was helping me break wind whilst I was filling out my background form...no complaints.

New Melle - the actual name escapes me...bought an M1 Carbine from there a few years ago....not a terrible place, price was a little higher than expected.

Tim

carrierx
February 9, 2012, 05:11 PM
I'm glad this thread is here.

Im on the east side in the Republic of Illinois.

Cabellas... an hour away
Belleville ....45 mins or so

Is there really nothing at all south of springfield il ?

Plenty of FFL's listed , but no shops.

Even if I do find something to my liking, its another hour long trek to pick it up after the waiting period ...

ExTank
February 9, 2012, 07:32 PM
^ Remeber carrierx, that's the Democratic People's Republic of Illinois.

carrierx
February 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
^ Remeber carrierx, that's the Democratic People's Republic of Illinois.
Ahh, my mistake. Its an easy on to make sometimes. 8 )

ErikO
February 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
http://www.gunauction.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm should help you find an FFL to accept your purchase. Obviously, contact them well in advance of any deals and verify that they are willing to work with you.

Yeah the PDRI has finally lost its grip on me. Took seven years in MO to finally embrace my inner shooter. :)

writerinmo
February 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
I need to find a gunsmith that can install a Mosin barrel, quite frankly I'd like to do it myself but the action tool has been sitting on the workbench for a month and I have yet to finish the machining on it, and no idea when I will have the time to do so.

geerlingguy
February 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
Just went with my dad to Ultimate Defense in St. Peters, and it was packed! We got there around 3 p.m. Sunday, and there was very little room in the shop. They have nice printed membership cards, and they have a decent selection of handguns (and a few rifles) for rental ($10/hr). The range is a little expensive at $20/hr, but it's a nice range, very open feel, well ventilated.

The staff seems very professional, and the guys monitoring the range are on their game. They offered some poignant advice to people who were holding guns incorrectly or were simply nervous/first time shooters.

They also had at least one class going on while we were there, meaning we had to wait longer since the pistol range lanes weren't available.

On the whole, I was impressed. While I was up in St. Charles, which is about 45 minutes from where I live (so I don't get there often), I visited Bass Pro Shops, but found their prices to be a bit higher than those at the range. Definitely wouldn't want to buy a handgun there.

I rented the Ruger SR9c, and loved it (I want a carry gun that's also fun/easy to shoot at the range, and doesn't damage my hand like the LCP/equivalent). Hopefully will pick one up soon.

CZguy
February 20, 2012, 12:02 AM
On the whole, I was impressed. While I was up in St. Charles, which is about 45 minutes from where I live (so I don't get there often), I visited Bass Pro Shops, but found their prices to be a bit higher than those at the range. Definitely wouldn't want to buy a handgun there.

I agree, but they are a great place to handle a gun, before you buy it somewhere else.

Besides I can always use more fishing lures.

pearsonm
February 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
..I visited Bass Pro Shops, but found their prices to be a bit higher than those at the range. Definitely wouldn't want to buy a handgun there.

I'm currently still in Springfield, Bass Pro's hometown. They have decent prices on clothing but not revolvers or ammunition.

geerlingguy
February 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
I visited Mid America Arms to purchase my first handgun (SR9c), after having tried it at Ultimate Defense. Their ammo and guns are all pretty reasonably-priced, and I'll definitely head back there in the future (pretty convenient location for me).

I stripped and cleaned the SR9c with some Hoppes #9 and a $20 cleaning kit, then used some RemOil to lube the necessary parts last night, and I took it with a friend to Ultimate Defense today. The range was still pretty crowded around lunchtime, but there was no wait like there was last Sunday!

I really like the feel of this handgun, and can't wait to put a punch out a bunch more targets! I did learn, though, that TulAmmo is cheap for a reason—bright sparks were flying out of the end of my gun with some of the rounds! I'll be sticking to white-box Federal or Winchester FMJ for the range...

ExTank
February 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
Any St. Louis-area High Roaders going to the NRA Convention?

geerlingguy
March 1, 2012, 02:16 PM
Just wanted to post a link here to a page on my website that I'll be updating as I go to more shops/ranges in St. Louis with my own experiences. I hope to also take some pictures so it can be a good reference for someone coming into the St. Louis area or just getting into shooting (like I am).

http://www.lifeisaprayer.com/2012/gun-shops-and-ranges-st-louis

This thread's been extremely helpful to me as a new shooter, and I'm glad it's never gone away :)

writerinmo
March 1, 2012, 10:33 PM
I searched high and low for a Ruger P95 in blue and a Phoenix Arms HP22A in all black, no one had the Phoenix and the only place I found the P95 was Cabela's up in Hazelwood, on sale for $319. Emailed JW at JW Firearms in Barnhart, he replied back that he had both in stock, $319 for the P95, $149 for the Phoenix. The wife and I made a stop in there a few hours later and the two gals working there were knowledgeable and took care of the sale quickly, although one did get the wife to browsing the .38 Special revolvers!

smykowski
March 2, 2012, 02:13 PM
I can add a few more shop experiences in the area.

Nick's Gun and Pawn (Washington, MO), had a TON of inventory for a small shop, met Nick the owner, great guy, very willing to help you find what you're looking for if they don't have it. Very good prices. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from there.

Pacific Guns (Pacific, MO), little stand-offish at first, but once they get a feeling for you they're good guys. Met the owner Nick (ironically the same name), great guy to work with, he's willing to negotiate a little on price, told him I found a better deal at the shop in Washington, he dropped his price to match. Would also buy from there again.

Stone Ledge Gun and Pawn (Washington, MO) - had a good amount of inventory, seemed disorganized and dirty, I was in the shop for at least 30 mins, no one ever acknowledged I was even there, so I left.

Denny Dennis (Fenton, MO), good selection, prices seemed a bit high, decent staff though.

Definitely going to the NRA Convention this year!

CZguy
March 2, 2012, 11:51 PM
When anyone adds to this thread, please post if a dealer has a good selection of used guns.

Thanks, :)

ExTank
May 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
The Metro Shooting Supplies (http://www.bsrgunshop.com/mss-bridgeton.htm) in Bridgeton is now open, it has been for a couple of months, but the sign on their door last winter had an anticipated opening date of July or August.

It's on St. Charles Rock Road, about 1/2 - 3/4 mile west of the intersection of St. Charles Rock Road and Lindbergh Blvd, right between the Walgreens and QT Convenience Store.

Very good selection of guns, friendly staff, and an indoor shooting range I'll be trying out this weekend.

dyna962007
May 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm in the Edwardsville IL area and am fortunate enough to have a small town family oriented indoor and outdoor range near me in Highland IL.
Will have to remember the exact name but its something like Highland rifle club. Cheap to shoot and yearly membership of 136 bucks and can shoot anytime. and kids are free under 18.
I used to go to the range from time to time when I was a cop in Illinois for various training and certifications.
I also shoot at times in Belleville Il at the Cop Shop.
There was a guy years ago who used to do all my trigger work and tuning in Florissant named Jimmy VanCoutren. He was an x-armorer for the FBI and did fabulous work but I've lost track of him since then.
Mike

Navy Diver
May 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
Been to the new Metro in Bridgeton a couple times and am not impressed. My first time in I was ignored for 15 minutes while the guy behind the counter was BS'ing with his buddy. Their prices are not real competitive and they nickel and dime you at the range - you can't even bring in your own targets, you have to buy theirs. Even with a range membership, you have to pay (although at a reduced rate) for range time. I'll stick with Ultimate Defense in St Peters!

CZguy
May 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
I'll stick with Ultimate Defense in St Peters!

And as long as your there, you might as well stop in M&M Gun shop in old town St. Peters.

The customer service and prices are the ones that I judge all others by.

dyna962007
May 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
The only thing I dont like about Ultimate is the 18 year old limit.
My 13 year old son and I love to shoot and he cant come with me only at that range. Its a St.peters thing.
Otherwise, nice place, mike

ErikO
May 25, 2012, 01:27 AM
The only thing I dont like about Ultimate is the 18 year old limit.
My 13 year old son and I love to shoot and he cant come with me only at that range. Its a St.peters thing.
Otherwise, nice place, mike

Actually, it's 16 since St Peters assumes that the gun is owned (or at least able to be legally owned) by the shooter. I have 6 more years to plan my kiddo's B-day party there. lol

A good Saturday for me is M&M followed by a trip to UD. Finish that off with dinner @ Culver's for a perfecta. Best part is that my wife has as much fun doing this as I do.

These days I only really go to Cabela's when there is a VERY good sale on something that makes it cheaper than M&M or UD or at least cheaper than mail order.

dyna962007
May 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
Actually, it's 16 since St Peters assumes that the gun is owned (or at least able to be legally owned) by the shooter. I have 6 more years to plan my kiddo's B-day party there. lol

A good Saturday for me is M&M followed by a trip to UD. Finish that off with dinner @ Culver's for a perfecta. Best part is that my wife has as much fun doing this as I do.

These days I only really go to Cabela's when there is a VERY good sale on something that makes it cheaper than M&M or UD or at least cheaper than mail order.
Actually for us its traveling down south to gun shows and seeing what kind of deals we can find. We love the hospitality and flexibilty of the folks down in Arkansas and other southern states in buying and selling and talking guns,

pearsonm
May 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
We settled on a house in St Peters and are moved in. Before I plunk down money on a membership at Ultimate Defense, are there any outdoor ranges in the area?

Also, are there any deals on ammo out there? What I've seen at Cabela's and Graf's seems pretty average, at least for .38 and .357 ammo. I assume the market's competitive enough to where there are no bargains to be found.

CZguy
May 26, 2012, 12:31 AM
Before I plunk down money on a membership at Ultimate Defense, are there any outdoor ranges in the area?

Yes, I'm a member here. http://www.shootingstl.com/drupal/

Very nice range.

pearsonm
May 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
..I'm a member here. http://www.shootingstl.com/drupal/

God I love this thread. Thank you! That looks exactly what I had in mind.

ErikO
May 26, 2012, 04:52 AM
Looks good to me as well. Now to schedule a range visit with some folks that are members there. :)

Hotshot10
May 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
Also, are there any deals on ammo out there? What I've seen at Cabela's and Graf's seems pretty average, at least for .38 and .357 ammo. I assume the market's competitive enough to where there are no bargains to be found.

Graf's is great for reloading supplies. If you shoot handguns a lot, which I assume you do because of your calibers, you really ought to look into that. It can save you a bundle, and you can customize your loads for your gun. The staff there ought to get you started.

pearsonm
May 28, 2012, 01:22 AM
If you shoot handguns a lot, which I assume you do because of your calibers, you really ought to look into [reloading].

Yea, we've got to settle into a platform. My wife and I are sharing a GP100 as our first handgun but we're second-guessing ourselves - we both shoot much better in single action than double.

We didn't like the complexity of an auto for our first gun, but that's becoming less of an issue. If we trade for an auto I anticipate going 9mm, which I'm not sure is worth reloading.

CZguy
May 29, 2012, 12:04 AM
If we trade for an auto I anticipate going 9mm, which I'm not sure is worth reloading.

9mm is well worth reloading for. It's also a really good cartridge to start out with, due to the lower cost, and mild recoil.

ExTank
May 29, 2012, 02:30 AM
We settled on a house in St Peters and are moved in. Before I plunk down money on a membership at Ultimate Defense, are there any outdoor ranges in the area?

There's also August A. Busch Conservation Area Shooting Range. (http://mdc.mo.gov/regions/st-louis/august-busch-conservation-area-shooting-range)

Low cost ($3/person/hour), targets are provided (they only allow bullseye-type targets, no man-silhouette), 3 seconds between shots (so tactical shooting is pretty much out), but they provide range safety officers and run a very safe range.

Considering some of the horror stories I've read here on THR about unsupervised/unregulated ranges, I'm quite grateful for Range Safety Officers, even if they won't let me rip off a hi-cap mag as fast as I can pull the trigger.

If I want to do that, Ultimate Defense, Top Gun, On Target, or Metro will suffice. Since Metro opened, they're the closest to me, but I get "out-and-about" all over the greater west-side metro on the weekends, so any of them will do, really.

pearsonm
May 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
There's also August A. Busch Conservation Area Shooting Range. (http://mdc.mo.gov/regions/st-louis/august-busch-conservation-area-shooting-range).

Thank you for that link. They’re next on our list.

We shot at Ultimate Defense Sunday morning. We felt rushed with the one-hour time limit but it seemed like a well-run facility with friendly people and reasonable prices.

I know what you're saying about unsupervised ranges. There's one back in Springfield (Busiek) that we never visited because it has such a bad reputation.

ExTank
May 30, 2012, 01:54 PM
No problem! Busch Wildlife is really my go-to place during warmer months due to its low cost and safety (not that I've ever had, or even heard, of any safety issues at Ultimate, Top Gun, On Target, Bullseye, or Metro).

Be advised that restroom facilities at Busch Wildlife are one step up from "outhouse," so it may be a good idea to "do your business" at, say, a convenience store (there's a Jack in the Box, as well as a McD's/gas station/convenience store on MO 94 about a 1/4 mile east of 94 & US 40) or somesuch before heading out.

They can get pretty busy on weekends, so plan accordingly. IME, they're less busy at opening, so earlier is better.

On the plus side, if they aren't busy, they don't really hold your feet to the fire on your range time. I shot for 1 - 1/2 hours one morning about 3 weeks ago, and they didn't charge me for the extra time.

murphys_law
May 31, 2012, 06:54 PM
Love this thread, I'm moving from lower Jeff county up to St Charles/Warren county area and this is going to be a great help.

pearsonm
May 31, 2012, 11:01 PM
Love this thread, I'm moving from lower Jeff county up to St Charles/Warren county area and this is going to be a great help.

Almost everyone I know who are also transferring with the company I work for are winding up in the St Charles, St Peters and O'Fallon areas. So far everything we need is here, although the traffic sucks. Picking a location with an alternate route to I-70 is highly recommended.

CZguy
May 31, 2012, 11:18 PM
Almost everyone I know who are also transferring with the company I work for are winding up in St Charles, St Peters and O'Fallon areas. So far everything we need is here, although the traffic sucks. Picking a location with an alternate route to I-70 is highly recommended.

And if you can't do that...........at least pick a place with a nice LGS on the way home. You can stop in and let traffic die down. :D

murphys_law
June 6, 2012, 06:46 PM
And if you can't do that...........at least pick a place with a nice LGS on the way home. You can stop in and let traffic die down. :D

I'm going to try, that's for sure :)

GWARGHOUL
July 7, 2012, 07:14 PM
Festus - Show Me tactical

Owned by Steve Lednick, attorney from The Lowry Law Firm.
good dude, good looking startup.

Free transfers for customers. Has a lot of AR15's, various pistols, Saiga 12's and 20's etc.

(636) 465-0741

107 Walnut St

Festus, MO 63028

Next to Magic Market

wow6599
July 8, 2012, 01:55 AM
Check out Pacific Guns. New owners (Nick & Debbie Adams) have really made the place a fun store to go to. Wide selection and prices that are in-line with Bud's. IMHO, they are the best in the STL metro area.

Wetz
July 8, 2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the advice in the thread.

The only place in St. Louis I have purchased a gun is Pawn King in Arnold. Actually I just used them as an FFL for my Budsgunshop.com purchase. The gentleman I dealt with was very nice and offered to match Buds price, but I had already made my purchase. I noticed this thread relates more to gun-only shops but figured I would post my only experience in a St. Louis retail setting to date in case it was helpful to anyone else. I plan to stop in there again today to check for used .22's before I go anywhere else.

I will post about my experience once I have made a purchase.

hercdog
July 12, 2012, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the great posts, I've learned of several additional shops I need to check out. I do have a few that I have done business with that I want to add to the list:

My sister used to be a Sheriff's deputy and she told me that a lot of the city cops like to go to Lemay Pawn and Gun in South city. It's a pawn shop, so they have a decent selection of used guns of all types, but they also carry a good selection of new guns (mostly pistols) as well as ammo and accessories. I bought my lightly used PF-9 there this past April for $250. They are definitely willing to deal.

While you're down there, you might want to wander right next door to Alamo Military Collectables and check out their selection as well. I bought a "used" (never fired) 870 Express shotgun and a Norinco SKS from these guys. They are not very chatty, but they know their milsurps and have a selection of used long guns and pistols that's always changing. Last time I was there they even had a reproduction of a German rocket launcher. The owner told me they buy a lot of estate gun collections so you never know what kind of gems they will have. They are willing to deal and especially like it if you bring cash. I just got my SKS there in March, which had never been fired, for $275 cash, tax included.

Finally, a new shop called Southside Guns has just opened up on Gravois, right next door to Mid-America Arms (another favorite of mine). They are affiliated with and share a space with Southside pawn, but they have just expanded their gun section to be a full fledged stand alone gun shop. I was actually pretty impressed with the selection (they even had one of those new Kel-tec tactical shotguns that nobody can get) which included a lot of used guns of all types, some of which were models that I usually don't see at other shops. The guy who helped me took all kinds of time to show me a lot of guns, even though I had told him I was just looking around, and seemed to genuinely want to earn my business by building a relationship. He also told me they are in the process of building an indoor shooting range across the street from their shop, which is supposed to open by this fall. They have a growing selection of accessories and a lot of ammo as well.

I hope these contributions help.

Bohemus
July 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Any photos for us, gun-deprived Europeans?;)

ExTank
July 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Finally, a new shop called Southside Guns has just opened up on Gravois, right next door to Mid-America Arms (another favorite of mine). They are affiliated with and share a space with Southside pawn, but they have just expanded their gun section to be a full fledged stand alone gun shop. I was actually pretty impressed with the selection (they even had one of those new Kel-tec tactical shotguns that nobody can get)

Before anyone runs out to Southside to try to grab up the Kel-Tec KSG, they should know that it's listed in their dispaly case as "Display Only." It's not for sale.

When I asked the staff the reason for this, they said that because they are going for so much online, up to $1,800, that they didn't want to put a price on it and sell it and have someone think that they got cheated/robbed.

Wetz
July 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ended up buying my new Taurus PT-22 from Southside Pawn. They were excellent. The price was better than what I have seen asked on used models. They had to order it and the gun arrived a week after ordering. There was no additional charge for ordering. The price they quoted was what I paid plus tax. The people were friendly, great selection, and the store is really nice and clean.

I was unable to get to Pawn King for this purchase because their hours weren't convenient but still would buy from them.

I drove out to JW Firearms one night after work. It was about 20 minutes out of the way in both directions. Their website said they were open until 7pm. I arrived at 6:15pm. I opened the door and the lights were off. The guy behind the counter said they closed at 6pm. I asked why their website said 7pm. He pointed to the door and said "says right there". There was a paper taped to the door that noted the summer hours were in effect and they closed at 6pm. The guy wasn't necessarily rude but certainly did not seem sympathetic or in any way interested in selling me a gun. He just wanted me out of his store so he could leave. I won't be back.

I also stopped by Mid America Arms which is right next door to Southside Pawn. The people here weren't rude either but not nearly as friendly as Southside Pawn. Additionally, there were a lot of regulars in there enjoying talking with the staff like old buddies. It was hard to get anyone's attention since I'm not a regular or some know-it-all, bragging, loud-mouthed, gun-guy. Their selection was slim unless you want some high profile firearm like an AR or Glock. It was hard to find a gun on the wall less than $400. Also, the store is packed with shelves and racks. Not easy to maneuver and very cramped feeling. I did not even waste time comparing prices with Southside Pawn on a new gun since I knew I wouldn't buy from these guys anyway.

Bottom line is that I'll be back to Southside Pawn. It will be the first place I look and the first place I recommend to anyone.

pearsonm
July 23, 2012, 01:50 AM
We've been shooting at Ultimate Defense. My wife fell in love with their rental M&P9C. Their price for a new one was within $30.00 (the cost of a FFL transfer) from Bud's, so we bought from them.

Hotshot10
July 24, 2012, 12:10 PM
I also stopped by Mid America Arms which is right next door to Southside Pawn. The people here weren't rude either but not nearly as friendly as Southside Pawn. Additionally, there were a lot of regulars in there enjoying talking with the staff like old buddies. It was hard to get anyone's attention since I'm not a regular or some know-it-all, bragging, loud-mouthed, gun-guy.

I've never had that problem with them. Their prices and selection are kind of mediocre, but the staff has always been friendly and ready to assist me, both when I am buying and when I'm looking.

Hotshot10
July 31, 2012, 01:15 PM
Festus - Show Me tactical

Owned by Steve Lednick, attorney from The Lowry Law Firm.
good dude, good looking startup.

I was in the area on Saturday, so I decided to stop by and see the shop, despite the fact that "tactical" stuff really isn't my interest. It's not just a name, either. Most of the guns in stock were military-style weapons.

Anyway, the staff members were friendly. The selection was interesting. There were some Sagia shotguns along with the standard Mossbergs/Remingtons. Lots of ARs and a few AKs. There were also a few unusual choices, such as a snub Smith & Wesson 627 Performance Center (I'd thought about buying on a few months back, but none of the 10+ shops I'd called had one or could get one) and a few Colts, including 1911s and a .380 Mustang. Also, they had some suppressors in stock (Liberty, if I recall correctly). Prices on the guns and suppressors were average, and I did not check out the ammunition.

If you're into the tactical stuff and are in the area, you should stop by.

Hotshot10
August 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
After I started a separate thread, someone suggested that I post this here.

I have a plug for a great gunsmith in Silex, Missouri.

Here's the back story: I bought a new Ruger SP101 for CCW. Its trigger was heavy, so I brought it to Bill's Gunsmithing. Bill polished the internals and put a new spring in place. The DA trigger was very smooth and much lighter.

I brought it to the range. It shot well, until I tried the SA. The hammer kept hanging up. I brought it back. Bill reinstalled the stock spring, but the problem remained. Ergo, the gun must have come from the factory like that.

Bill offered to find the malfunction and fix it. As it turns out, the trigger was machined improperly. Bill fixed the problem, and the trigger still pulls smoothly. Best of all, he didn't charge me for the fix, even though it wasn't his fault.

I was impressed. (I know I could have sent it back to Ruger, but that would have taken more time.) Service like that is hard to find any more.

Anyway, if you have need of a smith in eastern Missouri, give Bill a try.

Bill Franklin
573-384-6395
76 Straube Rd.
Silex, MO 63377
billsgunsmithing@earthlink.net

inkinskin
August 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
To the individual who posted about the bench rest rifle club, I have sent a few emails requesting information to become a memeber and/or to arrange a visit and have never heardback from anyone there. Would you be able to help me get in contact with someone there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

wow6599
August 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
Ruby's Guns just opened a place in Ellisville.......by Lucas Liquor and Block Buster.
Not sure about their former place in Sullivan.

I've talked to a few people who have stopped in. They say the folks are as nice as can be, selection is good and about $75 - $100 higher than Bud's.

GarySTL
August 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Benchrest rifle clubs website is shootingstl.com and their office number is 636-745-2454

I live 20 minutes from there and could take you on a tour. PM me if needed.

jungleking
December 7, 2012, 03:24 AM
probably resurrecting a dead thread so I apologize, but it has relevant info I was looking for. however, I am trying to locate a Mosin Nagant and pretty much every place I have called so far is out of stock. I know Cabelas has some but they won't let you take a look at more than their display piece. anybody know a location in the St. Louis area and/or Illinois that may have some in stock?

I've tried Mid-America arms and M&M guns in person and they were out last time I checked. emailed a few other places and they are out as well with the same message of unknown ETA.

I'm an Illinois resident so finding a place in Missouri that is willing to handle these transactions is a must. Thanks!

ExTank
December 7, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hey, we're coming up on our 10-year anniversary!

Hard to keep a good thread down.

inkinskin
December 7, 2012, 04:52 PM
For a range that rents guns, I woukd reccomend Ultamite Defense in St peters. Everyone there is very knowledgable and friendly.

As far as gun stores try Mike's Guns, Nassau, M&M guns, & Adventure Shooting Sports. They all have knowledgable staff and decent prices. Some of the places offer cash discounts and trade ins as well.

Hope this helps.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

BaltimoreBoy
December 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
Since this thread is showing signs of life, are there any opinions as to the best regional stores in terms of having a good variety and inventory of smokless powders.

Hotshot10
December 7, 2012, 07:08 PM
Since this thread is showing signs of life, are there any opinions as to the best regional stores in terms of having a good variety and inventory of smokless powders.

Graf's in St. Charles (636-946-7468).

As long as I'm editing this...anyone know of any pawn shops around here that carry a selection of used guns?

TheReeves
December 7, 2012, 11:35 PM
Southside maybe? http://stlouisgunsales.com/

Hotshot10
December 8, 2012, 10:38 AM
Southside maybe? http://stlouisgunsales.com/

I've actually been there. The selection was pretty good, and prices were reasonable. When I was there a few weeks ago, though, the selection of used handguns was somewhat limited.

Thanks, though.

Bikewer
December 8, 2012, 11:42 AM
I just went into Mid-America Arms on Gravois the other day:

http://midamericaarms.com/

Fairly recently opened, apparently. (South side)

Looked to be a fairly well-stocked franchise, with lots of handguns and a very good selection of knives as well. I was just buying some speed strips...

Seemed to me they were a tad on the pricey side.

GWARGHOUL
December 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
I want to FULLY RESCIND my recommendation of Show-Me Tactical in Festus, MO.

They have always been high on prices, sometimes above MSRP, and a bit condescending to you if you KNOW your prices and specs..

But..

They are straight gouging. Commiting Robbery.

Standard import steel body AR mags $50

No name poly AR mags $40-60

Here is the best part.. ProMag Saiga 12 drum .. $500.. Cole LE6920 $3500

I told them they were robbing people, and walked out.

They had this same stuff weeks ago. Its not like their inventory expenses went up.
I understand the economics of a boom, but at the same time, sure you can make some extra dough.. but I don't think its fair to charge $500 for a freaking promag for example, and tell me that "thats probably the last colt you'll be able to ever buy".

jungleking
December 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
should have known. got into the game too late. I was looking into a Mosin Nagant at first but now I should start buying parts for the AR-15 i was planning on building in the future (First build).

So far every online and local gun stores are inundated with orders and empty shelves.

anyone else know of places that are still pricing things fair or at least stocked?

Hotshot10
December 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
Colt LE6920 $3500 :what:

Thanks for the update, Gwarghoul.

GWARGHOUL
December 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the update, Gwarghoul.

Pfft yeah. Oh, and don't forget "they don't make that model anymore, its special compared to the regular 6920, thats why its so high"..

il.bill
December 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
I am trying to locate a Mosin Nagant and pretty much every place I have called so far is out of stock. I know Cabelas has some but they won't let you take a look at more than their display piece. anybody know a location in the St. Louis area and/or Illinois that may have some in stock?

Have you tried Ron & Jo's in Fairview Heights?

I have only purchased ammunition and cleaning supplies / accessories there, but they have a reasonable selection of firearms and the folks behind the counter have always been cordial.

On an unrelated Zombie Thread note, I have lost track of the number of times I have visited the now ten pages of this St. Louis Gun Shops thread - it just refuses to die, and I appreciate its tenacity.

ExTank
December 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
I told them they were robbing people, and walked out.

I've been avoiding gun stores for just this reason.

Is it just guns and mags going this way, or am I going to shell out $20+ for a bore brush, or some patches?

jungleking
December 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
Have you tried Ron & Jo's in Fairview Heights?

I have only purchased ammunition and cleaning supplies / accessories there, but they have a reasonable selection of firearms and the folks behind the counter have always been cordial.

haven't gone there yet. probably should have since they are the closest. hope they are open Christmas Eve!

I have the feeling I waited too long to search and buy. A mosin and the AR were long term goals to purchase but now It has me worried that I won't be able to own anything now. been searching online sources and some have a 2-3 month wait on just ar-15 lowers.

Hopefully All is not lost.

forgottenson
December 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
Ron and Jo's are closed on Mondays.
They are opened:

Tuesday - Friday: 11a to 6:30p
Saturday: 10a - 4p

CZguy
December 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hopefully All is not lost.

I don't think that all is lost, I just view this as a market fluctuation. Start saving your money for the next cycle when people will be dumping the rifles they just bought.

ExTank
December 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Went to the St. Charles Gun Show (not to buy, just to look and see, and kind of "take the pulse" of the everyday Joe).

Saw basic ARs going for $1,200+, and better ARs going for $2,000+. There wasn't much of a selection at this point.

Handguns and shotguns (even Mossy shorties) were still pretty much at pre-hysteria gun show prices.

It was a jam-packed mad-house.

I left after about two hours of mostly standing still as my way in any direction was blocked by masses of people.

I'm glad I pretty much completed my rifle collection in 2010, and have only been buying ammo for them since.

UKWildcatFan
December 29, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I was there yesterday. Mad house. Didn't buy a thing. Saw PMags asking $75.

If you enjoyed reading about "St. Louis Gun Shops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!