BATFE Revises Policies on Firearms "Transfers"

PDA

DeepSouth
June 6, 2010, 09:19 AM
Okay, I come home this mourning to this E-Mail from the NRA

In a recent ruling regarding the "transfer" of firearms, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATFE) has reversed policies that have been in place for more than 40 years.

In the ruling, BATFE declared that a temporary shipment of a firearm by a federal firearms licensee to a non-employee for business reasons (such as a manufacturer's shipment to a gun writer or engineering consultant for a technical evaluation), will now be considered a "transfer" and require completion of a Form 4473 and background check.

This reverses a ruling issued in 1969, right after the passage of the Gun Control Act, although BATFE provided no explanation of the need for the change. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, BATFE hasn't been able to name a single case in which a gun temporarily shipped under the old rule has been used in crime.
Entire Article Here (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5866)

Tell me if I'm reading this right, when I send my pistol to Cylinder and Slide for a little custom work I will have to receive it, but not send it, through a FFL..... right? Anybody know when this will take effect, will it also effect warranty work?

The ATF's ticking me off, somehow I doubt they care. Commies.

If you enjoyed reading about "BATFE Revises Policies on Firearms "Transfers"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smince
June 6, 2010, 09:36 AM
Already running for several days now:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=525511

DeepSouth
June 6, 2010, 09:48 AM
I figured it was, I guess I didn't look far enough back.

Oops :o

If you enjoyed reading about "BATFE Revises Policies on Firearms "Transfers"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!