Anyone here not have a CCW?

PDA

GlockStar
June 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
Looks like applications continue to rise.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/concealed-firearms-permits-up-sharply_2010-06-06.html

Hopefully all these people will be hitting the voting booth this fall as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone here not have a CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carter
June 6, 2010, 09:39 PM
Don't have mine yet. Plan to get it after I get my handgun in November. The county sheriff is a bit of a rights abuser.

Ian
June 6, 2010, 09:41 PM
I don't. Another few weeks and concealed carry in AZ won't require one. :)

smince
June 6, 2010, 09:45 PM
Proudly CCW Since 1982 :cool:

Brian040
June 6, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm surprised to see a fairly balanced article on guns in the Portland Press Herald!

And I'm proud to be one of the 5,706 Maine residents who decided to take responsibility for my own personal safety in 2009!

gfpd707
June 6, 2010, 10:14 PM
I dont, but only because I live in Illinois. The replublican candidate for govenor said he would support ccw. I will be keeping my fingers crossed and will be signing up the second it becomes available.

SheepNutz
June 6, 2010, 10:55 PM
I didn't have mine until yesterday!

Arkansas Paul
June 6, 2010, 10:59 PM
I don't, but my combo father's day/birthday gift is my permit. Planning on it happening this month. Don't know why it's taken me so long.

xcgates
June 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'll have one as soon as I have finalized my residence here in TX. Wasn't in NY long enough to get the license and a gun, so I didn't bother.

Chemist
June 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
Not yet, waiting to get my prints scanned and then I start my 90 day waiting period. YIPPIE!

bigalexe
June 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
Can't afford a pistol so no permit for me, I won't get my permit until after I get the gun I am going to be carrying.

Also there are bills in the Michigan Legislature (Committee Level) to strike down our need for a purchase permit, so maybe if that obtuse obstacle gets toppled I will be FORCED to celebrate by making a purchase.

Frank Ettin
June 6, 2010, 11:10 PM
I have Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Florida.

Tamlin
June 6, 2010, 11:54 PM
I got mine in AZ in 2001 (pre-9/11). Still valid, but have since moved to So. Cal. Haven't bothered applying here.

Dokkalfar
June 7, 2010, 12:17 AM
Nope, I just turned 21 in late March, and I just dont have the 100s of dollars to drop on it right now.. Vehicle purchase is a bit more important right now. :/

Cosmoline
June 7, 2010, 12:22 AM
Never had it, never needed it.

Buck Snort
June 7, 2010, 02:20 AM
Here in the People's Republic of Stanislaus Co, CA we law abiding citizens cannot be trusted to carry a gun for our self defense and the defense of other innocents.

kayak-man
June 7, 2010, 02:34 AM
It's the first thing I'm doing when I turn 21. Then I'm going to pick up a nice mil-spec 1911 and maybe a Glock 26. Oh, and holsters, I'm going to get lots and lots of holsters.

Frank Ettin
June 7, 2010, 02:52 AM
Here in the People's Republic of Stanislaus Co, CA we law abiding citizens cannot be trusted to carry a gun for our self defense...Getting a CCW in Stanislaus County might be getting easier. See http://www.calccw.com/Forums/announcements/14355-stanislaus-county-sheriff-signs-pledge-make-gun-permits-easier.html.

AWorthyOpponent
June 7, 2010, 02:58 AM
Oh, and holsters, I'm going to get lots and lots of holsters.

LOL,

Holsters can be expensive. Find a good one. Get it, and use the money you would have spent on another gun.

Gryffydd
June 7, 2010, 03:03 AM
Concealed Carry Wicense?

The Lone Haranguer
June 7, 2010, 03:03 AM
I had one in AZ, but due to economic circumstances I don't have the rather exorbitant $115 fee, plus $70-$90 for the required class.

notbubba
June 7, 2010, 05:07 AM
Permit expired and I haven't renewed yet.

killchain
June 7, 2010, 05:18 AM
It's the first thing I'm doing when I turn 21. Then I'm going to pick up a nice mil-spec 1911 and maybe a Glock 26. Oh, and holsters, I'm going to get lots and lots of holsters.
lol, man purses. :P

oldbear
June 7, 2010, 12:29 PM
In all the years Iíve carried a gun, I have never had a specific CCL. On the job my shield and I.D. card was all that was required. Retired, I rely on my retirement credentials, I may be pushing it, yet I know most of the street cops in my area, and the nice shiny retirement shield still looks good. :cool:

LemmyCaution
June 7, 2010, 12:31 PM
I live in Vermont. I don't need a permit, nor does the state offer one.

Boxhead
June 7, 2010, 01:24 PM
I don't but certainly not an issue in either Texas or Idaho if I chose to. Now, the Middle East.....

mg.mikael
June 7, 2010, 01:47 PM
No CCW unfortunately. Though that's obviously due to the fact I live in Illinois aka the land of corruption. Thus I don't have that option available to me nor the option of open carry.:cuss:

meytind
June 7, 2010, 01:53 PM
I don't because I live in NYC. I'm going to go cry now.

xcgates
June 7, 2010, 02:24 PM
You could always move, I wasn't in the city, but I was in NY, now I'm in TX. :)

General Tso
June 7, 2010, 02:27 PM
No. I'm claustrophobic. I can't sit through the 12 hour class in Ohio. I hope to get one eventually.

lab28143
June 7, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wow. Im glad I live where I do. In VA (or in my area of southwestern VA at least) $15 and a hunters edu. card is suffice, and usually takes a week or so for it to come thourgh and be finalized.
And no I do not have a CCW but that is only because I'm only 20, there is always next year though.

Agostini
June 7, 2010, 03:37 PM
Here in MN we've got "A Permit To Carry A Pistol" - does not define how to carry. Yup, got one too.

Birdmang
June 7, 2010, 03:39 PM
I live in the Chicago suburbs and do not have one.

Blue Brick
June 7, 2010, 03:40 PM
I only open carry, but then again I live in Arizona.

Ruger Redhawk
June 7, 2010, 03:54 PM
I've had a FL CCW since 1987, we moved to Mississippi for almost 2 years and we got our MS permits. They are still current as for time but since we moved they became null and void. The wife and I both have a NC permit and have kept our FL which are now Non Resident current.

lucky-gunner
June 7, 2010, 04:05 PM
I have mine and would feel odd without it now.

bootless
June 7, 2010, 04:16 PM
Sadly no. My county in California doesn't trust law abiding citizens.

CapnMac
June 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
I don't but, Texas allows similar freedoms either way.

At least if one is not living in the larger cities. If I was in one of the five large metro areas, there'd be enough "grey area" to warrant becoming a registered shooter.

But that last is why I haven't--it's a considered political choice.

KodiakBeer
June 7, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cosmoline: Never had it, never needed it.

It's nice to have one if you travel out of state, so that's why I keep mine current.

meytind
June 7, 2010, 06:31 PM
I working on moving but I have to finish my bachelor's degree first. Then, I need to get hired by a PD outside of NY. I cannot wait until the day when I can abandon this state for good though.

grizz13
June 7, 2010, 06:53 PM
Not yet. I told myself that as soon as i turned 21 i was buying a handgun and taking the class but 15 straight months of school put a rather large dent in my wallet.

XxWINxX94
June 7, 2010, 06:55 PM
My poor excuse for a state does not allow it.

Enachos
June 7, 2010, 07:07 PM
^^^^ I lived in Cook county too... Now I live in NC because of the horrible corruption in Illinois.

BLACKHAWKNJ
June 7, 2010, 07:09 PM
None here-EXTREMELY difficult to obtain here in NJ, they are issued by appointed Superior Court judges who don't have to face the voters.

xcgates
June 7, 2010, 09:16 PM
Grizz: yeah, school tends to do that, even with all the scholarships you can get your hands on.

Sgt_R
June 8, 2010, 12:34 AM
Nope. However, ask me again in a couple months and the answer may very well change. ;)

R

mregunz
June 8, 2010, 12:45 AM
nope don't have one,and wouldn't carry one if I had the permit.So the only advantage to having for me would be to bypass the fed.'s when I bought a gun.(the chk.,yellow sheet whatever ya wanna callit)Just away for the fed.'s to keep track of you easier.Like as if they don't have enough way's as it is.And I carry it on the seat of my p.u. when I'am traveling so don't need a permit.If ya need it ya don't have time to be draggin it outta the jockey box or from under the seat.But if some body want's a cc then more power to them .I just don't feel the urge.

javabum
June 8, 2010, 12:57 AM
I have for the last 2 years....Best thing i ever did....Made me look at things a bit differently.
And for the guy who says he cant because where he lives he is not trusted,
don't give up....I too live in California (San Joaquin valley) so do not stop trying to obtain one.

Zanad
June 8, 2010, 01:13 AM
not old enough...

Rabbitcreekok
June 8, 2010, 01:43 AM
You guys in Chicago have heart. The ruling from the Supreme Court concerning the RKBA in Chicago is supposed to come down this month. If it follows the ruling in DC, things may drastically change in your town. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

Buck Snort
June 8, 2010, 01:47 AM
I live in the Chicago suburbs and do not have one.
Well, why the hell not?!! (Juz' kidd'n)

FenderTK421
June 8, 2010, 01:49 AM
I choose to live in a state where I am a citizen, not a subject. None needed here and I don't travel enough to get one for reciprocity- yet.

Buck Snort
June 8, 2010, 01:52 AM
You guys in Chicago have heart. The ruling from the Supreme Court concerning the RKBA in Chicago is supposed to come down this month. If it follows the ruling in DC, things may drastically change in your town. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.
Expect Der Fuherer Daley to concoct every conceivalbe roadblock he can to make a favorable McDonald decision totally ineffective in Chicago.

mg.mikael
June 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok

Expect Der Fuherer Daley to concoct every conceivalbe roadblock he can to make a favorable McDonald decision totally ineffective in Chicago.

Exactly, Daley has already been bragin' about he's gonna make all city gun owners get insurance(who knows how much) to own a firearm. INSURANCE.....crazy isn't it? If you shoot a criminal their going to get your insurance money, but if a criminal shoots you, nada.

VegasAR15
June 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
I finally applied last month, should be in the mailbox this month. It is worse than waiting for Christmas. Everyday I get excited going to the mailbox, thinking about which one I am going to conceil, and what excuse I can use to go somewhere to conceil it. But so far as I open my mailbox I am met with horrible defeat and sadness. But maybe today!:D

rodregier
June 9, 2010, 05:44 PM
Canada :-(

Theoretically Canadian Federal law permits ("could issue?") such things in an urban environment, but it's a federal state secret if any have ever actually been issued. My favourite alleged non-issuance story was about a female assistant crown prosecutor who was receiving death threats. She asked for a permit, was denied. If the government employees in the justice system can't get one with good cause, what chance do you think mere "civilians" have?

They do issue a few for prospectors and similar workers in *distant* rural environments, but that is a very special exception case. In the cities the excuse is that the police can protect you. Ha!

N003k
June 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
I don't have one, need to be 21, only 20 for the next six months or so still. Already went ahead and took the course I'll need though (NRA Pistol Safety Course) so, when I turn 21, should be good to go to get the permit.

brotus2
June 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
Live in Florida and have mine,

If you are a served in the military, in Florida you don't have to take a class. Check your state requirements on that.

Robert101
June 9, 2010, 08:57 PM
Nope. I live in southern CA were we have no right to carry a gun. No permits are issued without good cause, basically means no right to carry.

parsimonious_instead
June 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
Robert 101:

Wow... just wow... Even in NY State, my permit allows CCW to and from the range... (CCW in NY State is a permit to own, and is actually 'full carry with target restriction')... if you establish a few "crime free" years the right judge may just "upgrade" it to "full carry." (Handling lots of cash and/or negotiables will also help justify this).
However, I've been told by many folks that carrying "off hours" is really an administrative violation - if you're caught (concealed means concealed, right?), you're brought up for a "revocation hearing" and generally not criminally charged.

WardenWolf
June 9, 2010, 09:36 PM
I got mine, but I held off until this January until I had more idea of what Obama would do. I didn't want my name in a government database if our worst fears were realized. It's not prudent to be flagged as a gun owner if you've got a President with the will and backing to ban guns or place you on a list based on that, and you're not in a state that registers so there would otherwise be no quick and easy way of tracking you. Fortunately, it seems, Obama doesn't have that kind of support, nor does he have the focus to deal with that.

budiceman
June 10, 2010, 11:26 AM
(CCW in NY State is a permit to own, and is actually 'full carry with target restriction')... if you establish a few "crime free" years the right judge may just "upgrade" it to "full carry." (Handling lots of cash and/or negotiables will also help justify this).

Should not have to justify it! A permit to own is not the same as CCW! Should not even need a permit for the "right to bear arms".

parsimonious_instead
June 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
BudIce:

I'm completely in agreement - I don't like NY State's system, but it's what I'm stuck with for now.
Our permits are a weird amalgam of a "permit to own" with "permit to carry" but with restrictions.
To make it even more arbitrary, my permit is completely null and void throughout New York City, and in addition, this "target" vs. "full carry" BS
is pretty much confined to a handful of counties. Most other counties in NY State issue full carry with little or no "justification" needed.
Even if I accidentally took it into NYC, was caught with it, and showed my permit (which required an NRA class, four detailed character references, and very thorough background checking), I would be prosecuted just as aggressively as some gangbanger found with a Glock in his pants.

PigButtons
June 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
There was a similar thread a couple of months ago.

We here in Alabama can usually get a permit in between 15 minutes and 15 days depending on the county. That and somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 per year. Some county sheriffs allow open carry and others do not. Legal age is 18 but most counties don't issue until 21, again sheriff's policy rules.

All of you in the internment camps of the left aught to think of relocating. ( I suppose the golden handcuffs are what are keeping you though.) Once only the criminal element is left in those God forsaken places, permits will not be an issue at all, everyone there will be carrying illegally and the government won't care.

And yes I have mine and exercise my 2nd Amendment rights daily.

FirearmsEnthusiast
June 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
Not allowed to carry where I'm from =(

pacerdude
June 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
Not yet, but only because I haven't gotten around to driving to the Courthouse and Sherrif's Department yet.:o

wishin
June 10, 2010, 03:49 PM
My many thanks to the Founding Fathers and the Georgia legislature.

swagner89
June 10, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'd love to get one, but here in Maryland it's "may issue", so unless you're connected and have lots of bribe money you aint gettin it

CTPhil
June 10, 2010, 04:55 PM
I don't own a handgun, but would like to. I'm torn about a CCW, though, I might forego it and just keep a handgun on the farm, which would be my main interest anyways. Also, I've never been fingerprinted, and maybe I'm just being stupid, but I'm not sure I want to voluntarily put that info into the system.

Harley Rider 55
June 10, 2010, 05:39 PM
CCW as in concealed weapons? Yes. I conceal carry all weapons unless forced to open carry long guns.

chute2thrill
June 11, 2010, 01:57 AM
I truly dont see the need.. my job is not dangerous nor is my way of life..... i carry a somewhat large pocket knife on my person at all times.. i think that suffices and also gives me a stress relief should i ever be pulled over by a police officer...

Fatelvis
June 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
Illinoisan here.... Still waiting for the State to determine we are fit to carry.....

seanie!
June 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
I don't, but I live in stupid Illinois...

MarkDido
June 11, 2010, 10:21 PM
"Tap Tap testing 1, 2, 3...."

I do not have a CCW nor do I own any firearms.

They were all lost when my boat sank.

Boomm
June 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
I just turned 21 a couple months ago and took the class, all I have to do is apply and I'll get one.

Hondo 60
June 13, 2010, 06:05 PM
I will be first (or second) in line when WI starts issuing CCWs.

Toaster
June 14, 2010, 01:13 AM
I too am a resident of of the very opressive ILLINOISTAN, so I have no state issued permission to carry concealed.

BobOfTheFuture
June 14, 2010, 01:28 AM
I'm in NY, moving to a slightly easier county (Suffolk) and will begin the wading through the crap process soon.

bwsmith2850
June 14, 2010, 04:37 AM
Kinda... CCW isn't allowed inthe People's Republic of WI unless you are a LEO. So as long as I have this job I have what passes for one here. Maybe the next Governor....

RetiredAROp
June 14, 2010, 04:51 AM
Had one in Washington, I let it expire - it wasn't good anywhere else. Lived in AZ for a while, took the class and got the permit. Then took the Front Sight 4 day defensive class + 1 day to fill out the papers for Nevada, Utah and Florida. Have sent the papers in, waiting for the permits to come back.

BTW, that Front Sight class was really great. The weekend I took it there were 818 other students taking it. So, the class is in NV. What state provided the most students for the class?

Your right! Alaska!

Gryffydd
June 14, 2010, 06:23 AM
Had one in Washington, I let it expire - it wasn't good anywhere else.
Yeah, like only 22 or so other states...
It's not the best you can get, but it's certainly not just accepted in WA.

Your right!
My right? :D

Buck Snort
June 14, 2010, 05:46 PM
"Tap Tap testing 1, 2, 3...."

I do not have a CCW nor do I own any firearms.

They were all lost when my boat sank.
OUCH!!

Buck Snort
June 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Should not have to justify it! A permit to own is not the same as CCW! Should not even need a permit for the "right to bear arms".
Your are belaboring the obvious. OF COURSE we should not need a permit to exercise our constitutional rights but UNLESS and UNTIL the SCOTUS declares that concealed carry is a right that cannot be taken away then we're stuck with what we've got. We don't live in a just world.

xcgates
June 14, 2010, 08:41 PM
My new boss just clarified some rules regarding concealed carry, then as an afterthought asked if I had a permit, and if not, if I had any plans.

Then offered to help me out with it. :D

jhco50
June 14, 2010, 10:17 PM
I don't feel the need for one in Colorado...we have open carry.

Harley Rider 55
June 14, 2010, 11:46 PM
I ha many a CCW that my CHL allows me to carry.

Brfore that, I just concealed carry shotguns and rifles. You don't need a license for that.

bushmaster1313
June 14, 2010, 11:51 PM
New Jersey does not allow permits to regular Joes

Gryffydd
June 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
I will be first (or second) in line when WI starts issuing CCWs.

I have a feeling it'll be a long time before they start issuing weapons. Heck, it may be a while before they get around to the licenses.

wlewisiii
June 15, 2010, 12:50 AM
No, I don't. It's a Class A Misdemeanor to carry a concealed weapon here in Wisconsin. The past 4 governors, Republican and Democrat alike, have vigorously opposed CCW. As one example, when Tommy Thompson (R) was still governor, the story is that he told the Republican legislators that anyone voting for a CCW bill would loose party support and have a primary opponent. I do not know how true it is, but I find it very easy to believe based on my other dealings with him and his cronies.

William

TomTerrific
June 15, 2010, 01:00 AM
It's a Concealed Handgun Permit here in the Lower Wetlands. They are issued for four years and I'm on my second renewal. Had the permit since 1999.
One reason I got mine was, if I ever have to shoot someone, I will be able to point to my training and make a claim it was a carefully reasoned act.

We have open carry here and also car-jackers are fair game.

Tommy in Baton Rouge

yeti
June 15, 2010, 01:07 AM
Don't have one, the state doesn't issue them, and just to make things nice, we don't need no stinkin' permit. Well, for guns we don't need a permit, everything else requires some sort of permit.

xcgates
June 15, 2010, 01:36 AM
^Yeti, I roomed for a couple years with a friend from Vermont, and every so often I'd get going on all the stereotypes of Vermonters, like any good friend will do, only to be stopped when he brought up their gun laws, or rather, noticeable lack of gun laws.

It just ain't fair man, just ain't fair. For a place full of Birkenstocks, it's pretty cool. :P

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone here not have a CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!