Tumbling Bullets ?

PDA

67rschev
June 7, 2010, 01:38 AM
Today I picked up a couple thousand Hornaday plinking bullets for a smoking deal . They are a little tarnished and I was wondering if it is safe to give them a quick polish in the tumbler . They are FMJBT , with the exposed lead at the base . Any issues if I give them a tumble ? I know I should let the dust settle before I remove the lid on the tumbler for any airborne lead particles . Any one done this ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling Bullets ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
evan price
June 7, 2010, 03:11 AM
Yes, it is fine. Just less is more, in terms of them not dinging each other up. Light loads, lots of media, and make sure it is dry and clean, run the minimum time to make them good.
A bit of tarnish really won't affect the bullets all that much.

loadedround
June 7, 2010, 10:26 AM
I do it all the time. Just make sure you have a sieve small enough to trap your bullets. :)

Wahoo95
June 7, 2010, 10:32 AM
Yes I've done that to remove moly coating

rattletrap1970
June 7, 2010, 11:53 AM
I had some Sierra .223 Matchkings that were sitting around for 14 years or so. I tumbled them with no ill effect.

ReloaderFred
June 7, 2010, 12:31 PM
It's not a problem, but as noted, the tarnish won't hurt them. They're tumbled at the factory to remove lubricant left on the jackets from the manufacturing process.

Another way to treat them is to use a liquid metal polish such as IOSSO. Just dip and rinse and while they won't shine, they will be clean and copper colored once again.

Hope this helps.

Fred

pcwirepro
June 7, 2010, 01:27 PM
I tumble all of my finish loads to remove any case lube or lube that got shaved from lead rounds. I sure like shiny ammo.

HOWARD J
June 7, 2010, 02:00 PM
Get yourself a bottle of vinegar & a tub or large pan--mix in enuf salt to cloud the vinegar.
Dump in your bullets ( under the vinegar mix----watch the shine in about 30 seconds.
Rinse & dry off on a towel.......................

Do not tumble b/fore or after doing this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccjcc81
June 7, 2010, 02:12 PM
Get yourself a bottle of vinegar & a tub or large pan--mix in enuf salt to cloud the vinegar.
Dump in your bullets ( under the vinegar mix----watch the shine in about 30 seconds.
Rinse & dry off on a towel.......................

Do not tumble b/fore or after doing this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why must I not tumble after this procedure?
(newbie)

67rschev
June 7, 2010, 11:42 PM
Work out fine . Four groups of 500 for around an hour and a half each . Bullets came out looking like new . I am aware that it would make no difference in bullet performance , but cant be putting nasty bullets in shiny brass . Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling Bullets ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!