Question on History Channel's "Top Shot" - Scotch tape?

PDA

DataMonkey
June 7, 2010, 08:34 AM
Several of the competitors appeared to have Scotch tape on their sunglass lenses - always seemed to be the eye not to the scope. What's the purpose of that? I've never seen that before.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on History Channel's "Top Shot" - Scotch tape?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
June 7, 2010, 08:44 AM
I'd guess its to blur the non scope eye so keeping both eyes open is easier to see the reticle. When shooting a lot, closing one eye gets fatiguing after awhile. I'd guess the rules here didn't allow occluders or pinholes

Kevin5098
June 7, 2010, 08:58 AM
It's especially important to block the non-shooting eye if you have cross eye dominance or no dominant eye.

DataMonkey
June 7, 2010, 09:03 AM
FWIW, I am cross eye dominant and shoot much better with both eyes open. I get a much better depth of view.

Sam1911
June 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
If you observe much bullseye pistol, smallbore 3-position rifle, and various other precision-oriented target competition you'll see many different styles of vision occluding devices.

Keeping both eyes open helps your balance, eye strain, and other aspects. However, having to fight to force the correct eye to stay dominant is harmful. Artificially blurring your weak eye with tape on your glasses or an opaque vision screen really helps.

Years back when I shot smallbore, we used very high-tech vision shields cut out of plastic milk jugs. :)

oneounceload
June 7, 2010, 09:26 AM
Shotgunners with cross-eye dominance are big users or various things, including tape, vaseline and production made special "dots". It really helps on those crossers

DataMonkey
June 7, 2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys.

I'll have to try some high tech tape or milk jugs then!

danprkr
June 7, 2010, 10:04 AM
Wow, barely 9 am and I have learned my new thing for the day. I can relax the rest of the day now ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on History Channel's "Top Shot" - Scotch tape?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!