old .308 brass ID

PDA

thomis
June 7, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have some older .308 brass that I'd like to ID. I think I have it pretty close so I basically want to confirm that its not a military version that I would need to reduce the charge by 10%.

The first set has: "WRA" and "68" and a cross hair symbol. From the website that someone shared earlier here (http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes_bottom.htm), it is Winchester Repeating Arms made in 1968. The only thing that throws me off was the cross hair symbol. There was no info on that on the website I attached.

The second set of brass has the following: "DWM" and "H" on one side, "V" on the other side of primer and then "308 WIN".
I gather from the website that it is made in Netherlands but again, there is no info eluding to the "V".

~thomis

If you enjoyed reading about "old .308 brass ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kernel
June 7, 2010, 06:41 PM
I always thought the cross in a circle is a NATO milspec symbol. So, that brass is most definitely military.

EMC45
June 7, 2010, 06:44 PM
The circle cross is a NATO stamping, WRA is Winchester Repeating Arms. The DWM= Deutches Waffen Manufabriken or something there-abouts. The H and V are probably designators at which arsenal they were made in..

Randy1911
June 7, 2010, 09:49 PM
Being military brass, it proably has a crimped in primer. You will have to swage out the crimp before you can reseat a new primer. There are a lot of different tools that you can do that with. If you only have a few, then a hand tool will be fine. If you have a lot (hundreds) I would recommend the Dillon Super Swage 600. With the Dillon I can do proably 10 a minute.

jonnyc
June 7, 2010, 10:19 PM
As stated, the WRA is Nato-spec dated military brass. Very easily reloaded, but yes, with a slightly reduced internal capacity. Not really an issue unless you are working with warm loads. The DWM is West German commercial brass. The H and V are a factory date coding system. It is most-likely reloadable Boxer primed.

Maj Dad
June 8, 2010, 01:16 AM
Speer imported Dutch-made DWM brass & ammo in the 70's and they are headstamped similarly. I have a couple hundred Speer-DWM 30-06 once fired and virgin brass cases in the original boxes I like to keep around for old times sake. $2.50/box 180 gr Speer bullet loaded ammo, don't recall the brass price... :(

EMC45
June 8, 2010, 09:39 AM
Disregard my previous statement....

If you enjoyed reading about "old .308 brass ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!