Leather care

PDA

dagger dog
June 7, 2010, 05:53 PM
Recently spent a few hard earned bucks for a gunbelt and holster, a plain Jane rig but of good quality.

I usually use a good saddle soap for removing any dirt, then follow that up with Lexol brand leather conditioner, then a good buffing with a soft cloth.

What's your favorite leather care routine? How about sharing your product evaluation. Maybe you have a homemade recipie, if so let me and others know how to make and apply.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Leather care" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Texas Gun Person
June 8, 2010, 03:29 PM
I like Lexol.

I also use Lexol on my car interiors. :)

cloudcroft
June 8, 2010, 08:14 PM
For all my leather care I use anhydrous lanolin exclusively, especially for new but dry leather (or OLD dry leather for that matter). It's a completely natural product to waterproof leather and keep it supple. It does tend to darken leather somewhat but I don't mind that at all. Iin fact, the darker leather looks richer.

You can Google anhydrous lanolin for more info.

-- John D.

rcmodel
June 9, 2010, 04:11 PM
Lexoil, neatsfoot oil, saddle soap, and lanolin will all eventually soften the leather.

That is undesirable on a hand boned & fitted holster, as it will lose it's shape and become loose.

Kiwi natural color shoe polish wax is as good as it gets for keeping fitted leather looking sharp without softening it.

rc

JohnBT
June 10, 2010, 11:17 AM
^
What he said. Neutral shoe polish.

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on everything else.

bigfatdave
June 10, 2010, 08:13 PM
I like this stuff:

Obenauf's leather preservative (http://www.thebeltman.net/preserve.htm)

I use it on the leather backers for my holsters and on my belts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Leather care" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!