Tactical/Variable Optics for SU-16

PDA

tescrex
June 8, 2010, 05:14 PM
Just purchased a SU-16, and I want to put some glass on it. My eyes aren't exactly sharp, and I have a fairly hard time with targets even at 100 yards. Optimally, I would love to go the ACOG route, but it's hard to justify optics that cost twice as much as the firearm itself (I paid $500 out the door).

I've tried doing a bit of searching and came across the Burris AR-332. The information I dug up seemed to be the usual "my friend's grandmother's second-cousin said it's crap" and some positive first hand experience. At the $300 mark, it is very tempting.

I also do like the idea of a variable power scope (of the 1-4 or so variety), but am clueless when it comes to what I should be looking for. I have almost zero experience with optics outside of red dots since I'm an AK guy.

Finally, weight is an issue. Since the rifle is so lightweight, I don't really want to ruin that characteristic that makes me love it so.

Thank you in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical/Variable Optics for SU-16" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tescrex
June 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
Did a little more research and came across the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4. Anyone have experience with this guy? At 9", its not overly long, and is a good 5oz lighter than the Burris AR-332. Thanks!

levsmith
June 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
I am also in your shoes. I would like to have a variable low powered scope. I am looking to put it on an ar-15. I love shooting close and out 150-200 yards so i am looking for a 1x to whatever zoom scope and also dont have a clue. I have some magpul flip up sights that i would like to use with it too but i dont know if thats possible with a variable scope. Any recommendations would be great for both of us! Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical/Variable Optics for SU-16" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!