PDA

fafnir
June 9, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hope someone out there can help. I was given a T/C Hawken Flintlock
in .45 several years ago by an elderly gentleman I had befriended. I
promised him that I would never sell it in his lifetime, and that time
has recently passed. I'm not a black powder shooter and am considering
selling the rifle. It is in excellent condition and it appears it was only
shot a few times. Any ideas on resale value???

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Flintlock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mykeal
June 9, 2010, 09:37 PM
Wow. A new T/C Hawken flintlock in .50 cal is $800 at Midsouth Shooter's Supply. The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms, Fifth Edition (2007) doesn't list a .45 flintlock (although they were definitely made and sold by T/C), but it does give a value of $716 for a .50 or .54 flintlock Hawken.

However, I haven't seen a used one, even in new condition go for that much in a long time. $400 is more like what the market will bear, with $500 possible.

There are two T/C flintlock Hawkens on Gunbroker.com right now, one listed for $880, the other for $399. Neither has any bids yet.

goon
June 9, 2010, 09:48 PM
Try www.muzzleloadingforum.com for some info. You'll likely get some good answers here but those guys are really into BP guns.

tango2echo
June 9, 2010, 10:14 PM
I would think in the $300-400 range, with maybe a bit more for a very clean one. I think you would have a very hard time getting more than $500.

t2e

arcticap
June 10, 2010, 12:55 AM
In my opinion, sight unseen it's worth between $250 - $350 if in very good to excellent condition, plus shipping depending on where it's sold.
A brand new Lyman .54 Trade Rifle flintlock can be purchased by mail order for under $300 shipped & delivered to your door.

ZZZ
June 10, 2010, 02:21 AM
I bought an unfired T/C Hawkin .50 cal. flintlock at a local gunshow last summer for $150. There's a huge difference between what they go for new and what they command used. I don't understand it, but I found it to be pretty common.

mykeal
June 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
When's the last time anybody saw a .45 flintlock T/C Hawken for sale? I believe they're quite unusual, if not downright rare.

fafnir
June 10, 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the input so far, "mykeal's" response has piqued my curiosity.
I just checked the barrel and the number is 2882, any idea when it might
have been manufactured?

Thanks.

Oldnamvet
June 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
There is a guy over on muzzleloadingforum.com with the handle "roundball" who is an expert on the T/C guns. Friendly guy and could give you a lot of information.

badpenny
June 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
shoot man get youself a can of bad powder and shoot the derned thing.i've had short affairs with ARs and M1As.even had a fling with a H and K 91.always come back to single shot muzzle loaders.life doesn't get better than a good flinter.

mykeal
June 10, 2010, 11:30 AM
the number is 2882, any idea when it might
have been manufactured?There is no serial number database for Thompson Center black powder guns. The records were destroyed in a factory fire several years ago. There have been attempts to create a database for ranges of serial numbers based on purchase dates, but they have not been successful so far.

Roundball is an excellent source of T/C information. You can use either the link provided by goon above in post #3, or this one: The Muzzleloading Forum (http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php?referral/10540/). This link is a sponsored link which will help you register as a member and give me a referral credit. Feel free to use either link as you wish.

Jim Watson
June 10, 2010, 12:16 PM
That is an old one, as such things go. A friend of mine had SN 1250 about 1975.

arcticap
June 10, 2010, 02:32 PM
The older TC flintlocks have a lock geometry that tends to be very hard on flints and which can wear them out very quickly. That can reportedly occur after as few as 10 - 20 shots.
After many years TC developed a replacement cock with an improved profile to provide better geometry and flint longevity. Owners wanting one would need to contact TC.

mykeal
June 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
Good point. T/C will replace the lock with one of the new design. It's highly recommended. Call T/C customer support at 1-866-730-1614.

goon
June 11, 2010, 12:02 AM
IIRC, the .45 caliber is kind of rare. Might be worth a little more and if you want a bigger caliber another barrel could be fitted.

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Flintlock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!