Holster for road trip

PDA

Quoheleth
June 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
Later this summer, I'm taking a family vacation to SE California. I know I can't carry in CA, but Texas and AZ and NM have CHL reciprocity, so I can carry all the way to Yuma plus a little bit.

I'm planning on taking my Ruger SR9c as my traveling companion. It's small enough that it won't take up a lot of space on my person, but big enough that I have decent firepower (2-10rd mags). I shoot it well and trust it.

For those of you who have taken long road trips, what kind of holster might you recommend? I'm usually a pocket carry kind of guy (Taurus TCP or Ruger LCR). I'm a big ol' boy and...ahem...do have love handles. I have worn pistols on my waistband, but usually my days are spent up & down at a desk or short runs in the car around town. I'm looking at two 12-hour days of driving and want something that won't leave me regretting carrying a gun this long.

I'm open to IWB or OWB. My departure date is late July, so I don't have time to wait for DM Bullard, et. al., with 2-3 months lead time.

Any thoughts on a good road trip holster?

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster for road trip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigfatdave
June 14, 2010, 09:01 AM
Something with a big body-shield (to pad your meat from the pistol)
Something that doesn't make the pistol any thicker than needed (belt attachment NOT on top of the gun)
Something custom-molded for retention and snug fit

Sounds like you need something from one of the Hybrid IWB holster makers, I like CrossBreed a lot, KHolster and comp-tac make good ones as well.

ForumSurfer
June 14, 2010, 09:21 AM
bigfatdave speaks the truth. My larger friends prefer crossbreed holsters. I'm 5'10", 165 with no more love handles (last year I had them). Crossbreed Supertucks are uncomfortable for me now. All I need now is a thin holster with no backing. The cheap highnoon holsters (bare asset, split decision if i need to tuck my shirt in) now fit the bill for me as well as any of my custom leather or kydex rigs. All I need is leather or leather-like thin with no backing. Kydex is too uncomfortable against my skin.

Basically, when I was +20 lbs, I would have agreed %100 with dave.

JTQ
June 14, 2010, 04:51 PM
How about the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder from Tucker Gunleather.
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/sithky.html

The delivery time will be quick and you can put it on and take it off easily.

Another option is the High Noon Bare Asset.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Bare_Asset/bare_asset.html

Another quick deliver item that can be put on and taken off easily.

The Ruger is pretty small and light and is a good match for the lightweight High Noon. Additionally, the Ruger is a relatively smooth pistol so I don't think you need to be too concerned about getting poked in the side.

bigfatdave
June 15, 2010, 08:14 AM
Tucker makes good stuff, I have one of their double IWB mag pouches and it is very nice.
If I were buying another holster, the Answer would be my choice, they're advertising 2-3 weeks lead time and when I ordered my mag carrier the advertised lead time was about spot-on.

Zundfolge
June 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
I think you're going to find the Crossbreed Supertuck to be one of the most comfortable. But any dual clip/loop type IWB holster is going to do you good (Ugly Bald Guy (http://www.ubgholsters.com/iwb.htm) lists your Ruger, for example).

Thing is, getting used to IWB can take someone a while ... so you may start the trip a little uncomfortable but by the end of it you'll be fine.

Regardless of what leather you get, wear a t-shirt (especially an Underarmor (http://www.thehighroad.org/www.underarmour.com) or other "wicking material" type tee) under everything and it'll help a lot.

At this point your biggest problem is going to be turn around time.

juniustaylor
June 17, 2010, 12:06 PM
Some folks make holsters that you can put on your seatbelt... It would be right across your chest and easily accessible. I've thought about making one for myself but I don't know what gun I'd carry in my car for a long road trip. Almost any holster with a clip or the straps w/ snaps should work as long as they can clear the width of the seatbelt. Something to think about.

Quoheleth
June 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks, all, for the comments.

I'm leaning toward the High Noon Bare Asset right now - it's inexpensive (always a plus) and thin, easy to take off if it's bothering me and slip back on when stopping for gas, etc.

I'll look at the CB after I get back...and done paying for that trip - 3000 miles round trip is going to burn a lot of fuel :(

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster for road trip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!